50/50 on whether this will end up in the polarised world of small talk but....

Forget the work argument, the billionaires boys club can get out on the harbour and sail around all they like in their foiling yachts but Joe from the 'burbs cant roll out his (or her) 80's keeler and head down to Motuihe for the day. No covid there, no covid in your bubble and a yacht is one hell of a bubble. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most 'safety' rules are primarily for your own benefit. The lockdown rules are for the greater good, i.e. to bring a benefit to the wider society, but it only works if everyone does there bit. And tha

^contrary to popular opinion, its not all about you  

if its a numbers game regarding coastguard rescues of yachties then how about some numbers? I think it would be astonishingly small from my casual observation. Its a very weak argument, as the chances

Marine related question in response to your question. I've been thinking about this for a few days (but don't really care, cause I went and got a wind surfer so I can still sail, in a rules legit way...)

Commercial boats are allowed to operate? Yes?

What defines a commercial boat? Being in safe ship survey or what ever its called? Being registered with MNZ? Having an MNZ number? (MSN something or other?)

There is a small set of recreational boats kept under commercial thingee, I think mainly for tax right off's or something, or so they can be chartered? (I don't actually know, although the tax right off thing I am aware of).

Anyway, if you check the appropriate rules, and make your boat commercial, then you can go sailing, can't you?

As for the money boys, they are all pro, and there is plenty of cash behind it, so almost certainly fall into the commercial rule. i.e. are TNZ chase boats in survey / registered etc etc?

15 minutes ago, Sabre said:

If this lockdown stuff is going to continue long term then people need to be able to look after their mental health. 

Even a broken down fizz boat can be towed back with everyone remaining safely in their bubble. 

I think if we keep seeing lockdowns in response to resurgence  we’ll see correspondingly less compliance. This weekend dozens of boats were moving in & out of Gulf Harbour marina and this was a big uptick from last L3. I reckon the next L3 - when it happens - will see even more non-compliance.

14 minutes ago, Tamure said:

no one is complaining about truckies and I an not complaining about the AC, good for them, but I fail to see the logic of not letting me go yachting.

Whats the diff apart from $$$$

Its the risk benefit equation. When $$$ are involved, there is greater benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see an issue with going sailing in L3, but I'd prefer the govt focus on bigger and more important issues right now. They only have a finite amount of time, and I want them to spend it making good decisions re C19 and the economy.

PS, you can go sailing, in many ways. You just need to adapt to the prevailing conditions. 29er, windsurfer etc...

29 minutes ago, Aleana said:

I think if we keep seeing lockdowns in response to resurgence  we’ll see correspondingly less compliance. This weekend dozens of boats were moving in & out of Gulf Harbour marina and this was a big uptick from last L3. I reckon the next L3 - when it happens - will see even more non-compliance.

Yep agree and once large scale 'buy in' is lost there will be no getting it back.

6 minutes ago, Fish said:

Its the risk benefit equation. When $$$ are involved, there is greater benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see an issue with going sailing in L3, but I'd prefer the govt focus on bigger and more important issues right now. They only have a finite amount of time, and I want them to spend it making good decisions re C19 and the economy.

PS, you can go sailing, in many ways. You just need to adapt to the prevailing conditions. 29er, windsurfer etc...

Eff the rules, I'm not a baby. We are becoming more like poms every day with rules for everything, all under the guise of "safety"