• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most 'safety' rules are primarily for your own benefit. The lockdown rules are for the greater good, i.e. to bring a benefit to the wider society, but it only works if everyone does there bit. And tha

^contrary to popular opinion, its not all about you  

if its a numbers game regarding coastguard rescues of yachties then how about some numbers? I think it would be astonishingly small from my casual observation. Its a very weak argument, as the chances

6 minutes ago, Tamure said:

2 lockdowns in and many more to come,  lets see how this rolls over summer. I'm just doing my bit to stop civil unrest at Westhaven, why just today I saw quite a few old grey boat owners wandering about aimlessly with pitchforks.

They were just looking for a Councillor to lynch...

Know of one couple, both very experienced sailors too by the way, turned back at North Head by the able crew on DoDuh,  seems as if the no sailing thing is being taken quite seriously.

I agree that it is a BS reason we can't go yachting.

Earlier today, I got told off for laughing out load.

I had a think about the situation, and started thinking, I don't know how lucky I am. Working from home, only difference for me with L3 is the kids are at home too (internet is working, so they are easily entertained...)

Trying to get my new water tanks sorted. I thought the factory was closed. Turns out they are open and making tanks, but on reduced staff. Half of their staff live south of the border. The factory is in south Auckland somewhere. The reason they are on limited production is cause their staff can't get to work. That's when I laughed out load. (I thought it would have been factory best practice to enable social distancing or something). The guy I was trying to convince to get me my water tanks sooner didn't think it was funny, and told me so. It is a major deal, both for the company (can't tell me when I'll get my tanks), and for the staff.... He says some days they can get through, other days, with the same paper work etc, they can't. 

So what happens if you can't get to work? do you get paid? Can you get the wage subsidy, the factory is still open, so will their revenue drop by 40%. These aren't highly paid professionals (no disrespect intended). So if you can't get to work, and can't get paid, how do you buy food? pay the rent or mortgage?

I wonder if my sail maker is open, maybe I can drop $$$ on a new mainsail, and just forget about guys not actually being able to get to work for a bit. Yes, a new mainsail will definitely make me feel better. I just hope the sail cloth isn't held up at the border, along with the buys making my water tanks...

47 minutes ago, Fish said:

I wonder if my sail maker is open,

Most are, some busier than ever before, some sitting there with fingers up arse. Some WTF prices being bandied around but that's far from unexpected, the scrambling has begun and will only intensify.

47 minutes ago, Fish said:

So what happens if you can't get to work? do you get paid? Can you get the wage subsidy,

We've just discovered 6 staff we thought weren't eligible for the subsidy are, it is yet another Govt system that is as clear as road tar, so I got to tell a pile of predominately 18 to 20 somethings today that next week each will be getting a significant lump sum dropped in their paws. The best bit is that as the system is that good the only way we have to claim  the subsidy means that after each staff has been paid in full at full rates and backdated to whenever it is there will still be 10.5K left over. When a staff left another business we rang MSD and said we have a month of subsidy and now no one to pay it too, what's your bank account and we'll send it back. We got told 'Don't worry just use it for the others or something', 'Errr... but it's not ours', 'Doesn't matter just used it, we have a record now that you have rung so that shows you tried if anyone come looking later'. Did I mention the new tyres my Duc got not long after that ph call, I went with MSD's 'something' option  ;)

I have been tempted to buy some Wagyu calves, I think I'd get about 15 or 16 of them for 10.5K. Na, I will endeavour to give it back but the slightest sign of the same silliness and that plan may change quickly.

27 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Most are, some busier than ever before, some sitting there with fingers up arse. Some WTF prices being bandied around but that's far from unexpected, the scrambling has begun and will only intensify.

WTF as in cheap? which ones? (serious question, I do need a new main),

But, I hope you realise I was being factitious (taking the piss). Many out there can't work, and have real issues to deal with cause of this lockdown, like how to feed their kids and stuff. Others, well, we have first world problems... like not being able to go sailing.