looking forward to biden

I must say that I had no idea it was offensive. I've heard it used in some places by people to describe their own kids, (PNG, other islands with Polynesian origins, and places in Indonesia). As it does not contribute to the progress of the site, or anything of particular importance,  I'll edit it ....

However, I would say that judging anyone on their "looks" is almost always a mistake.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a bunch of hypercritical history rewriting intolerant woke twats. Actually worse than that when AJ demonstrates such deep ignorance of his own countries history.

Yet again I called it correctly, a senile old corrupt racist won. Not to sure I like the idea of the US being headed by a proven war monger though, that's a bit scary especially when watching him

The media is horrendously left, even more in the US than in NZ*, and the total lack of balance it produces is behind most of the whole shitfight. * - according 2 studies by 2 Unis, one being Otag

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

What does that word mean in Aotearoan ? 

And what if one of ya wrote that turn of phrase about NZ's Maori people? 

Would they be OK with that? Why don't you ask one (or more) of them? 

Wiki - " the word is used in Canada and the U.S. as a racial slur referring to a dark-skinned child of African descent." 

image.jpeg.7691eac59b89b8a8ce492c9ecb2610af.jpeg

So I think the issue is more of ignorance, than an intention to cause offense. Some explanation of why it is offensive and the creation of an understanding / enlightenment is a constructive approach. I certainly didn't understand why you were kicking up about it. Don't know if IT (the mod) will either.

So a positive we can take from this is the understanding of the connotation of the Pik word that is not to be mentioned. I am still interested in KM's history of the democrat party though. I always thought it was the republicans that were into the slavery, esp around the civil war.

i think it is now widely assumed that jefferson and/or washington had children with the 'help'

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/10827

i'd assume washington, a whig?,  was pre-democrat + republican?

but the past is another country

and they do things differently there

never seems much point in judging the dead for not abiding by current mores 

though of course that won't stop some smug future fools finding us wanting when we are gone

Biden does, "very much look like a cotton lovin whip welding pikinini beating plantation owner." 

Mr. IT, it was this entire phrase to which I objected - saying that Biden "looks like" a (now deleted)

I think it was written with malicious intent by Mr. KM. 

Had he used only the Pik word alone I would not have objected - as you say, the word by itself is only a slur in Canada and North America. 

16 hours ago, Island Time said:

I must say that I had no idea it was offensive.

And to Mr. Fish's comment below - KM is partly correct. The US Democratic Party was staunchly pro-slavery for a long time; and only began to change slowly after the North kicked their kiesters during the Civil War. But even after that, the Southern Dems led a campaign of outright terror (KKK) and Jim Crow that suppressed black rights for another century. 

All that changed in the 1960's when Prez Johnson passed important civil rights and voting rights legislation. He was a Dem, but had the help of a number of Northern Republicans. After that most Southern Dems abandoned the party and switched to the Repubs - which took a sharp turn to the racist right. 

If anyone wishes, there are a number of books that I can suggest. 

16 hours ago, Fish said:

I always thought it was the republicans that were into the slavery, esp around the civil war.

As I say, I will respect whatever the mods decide. 

Hey Mr. @Knot Me... maybe 

What US history did I get wrong when I wrote what is below? (Always trying to learn things) 

4 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

And to Mr. Fish's comment below - KM is partly correct. The US Democratic Party was staunchly pro-slavery for a long time; and only began to change slowly after the North kicked their kiesters during the Civil War. But even after that, the Southern Dems led a campaign of outright terror (KKK) and Jim Crow that suppressed black rights for another century. 

All that changed in the 1960's when Prez Johnson passed important civil rights and voting rights legislation. He was a Dem, but had the help of a number of Northern Republicans. After that most Southern Dems abandoned the party and switched to the Repubs - which took a sharp turn to the racist right. 

If anyone wishes, there are a number of books that I can suggest. 

And Mr.    @Knot Me... maybe  You wrote "Actually worse than that when AJ demonstrates such deep ignorance of his own countries history." 

It should be "country's" (possessive), not "countries" 

I'm not a great historian, but my grammar is not too shabby. 

56 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

What a bunch of hypercritical history rewriting intolerant woke twats.

Actually worse than that when AJ demonstrates such deep ignorance of his own countries history.

KM, Ok, again, keep to the site rules. IMO you should either enlighten us as to what our errors are, or not post.

To accuse Biden (or anyone alive) of being, or appearing to be a slave beating plantation owner is completely out of place. He was not there. We are all pretty much aware of what happened in the past, but if your knowledge surpasses ours, then please let the education begin. I’d be the first to admit I’m no history professor 👨‍🏫.

Regressing to your attack mode, not only is the sign of someone losing an argument, but it will get you banned from the site. Being this will be your third go, next time is permanent.

it's not my place to say anything... but what the heck; why Knot.

One thing I have truly enjoyed about my very limited experience on Crew.nz, is the better side of the New Zealander's whit and what I have perceived as a backbone of (dare I say) Kindness that has been prevalent in most of the  post I have read…until now. An attitude and way of carrying on that seems to avoid the abject debauchery that seems prevalent on Sailing Anarchy.