looking forward to biden

On 25/11/2020 at 8:06 PM, AJ Oliver said:

As you well know the corporatists, of both parties as you correctly point out, 

have "hollowed out" US tax enforcement . . 

The wealthy dodge hundreds of billions in taxes per year - even at currently reduced rates. 

You are Exhibit One as to why our tax structure is skewed to the One Percent; there is big money 

in tax avoidance, dodging, and evasion. 

:-)

I am quite used to that type of reaction, and understand it and the feelings behind it.  It boils down to the idea that because my work involves corporate taxes I must, ergo, be a bad guy.  I get it a lot - but from all across the political spectrum.  If I found myself in a place I was only being criticized by one side or the other, then I'd be worried.

I comes with the territory.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a bunch of hypercritical history rewriting intolerant woke twats. Actually worse than that when AJ demonstrates such deep ignorance of his own countries history.

Yet again I called it correctly, a senile old corrupt racist won. Not to sure I like the idea of the US being headed by a proven war monger though, that's a bit scary especially when watching him

The media is horrendously left, even more in the US than in NZ*, and the total lack of balance it produces is behind most of the whole shitfight. * - according 2 studies by 2 Unis, one being Otag

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MuzzaB said:

:-) I am quite used to that type of reaction,

I did not mean to disparage - and sorry that I sort of did. 

But I would respectfully like to ask - Did your education include ethics training? Does your profession have a code of ethics? And what are some of the major ethical challenges that your profession has to grapple with? 

(Those pesky prepositions: Should I have written instead, ". . . challenges with which your profession has to grapple?" Nah, that doesn't work either) 

And thanks for your earlier thoughtful post above . . 

But it's pretty USA-centric . . 

Can someone inform us about how these issues play out in New Zealand? 

And I would like to re-recommend this book - the authors advised Liz Warren on her tax policy (again, for the US) 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/45894166-the-triumph-of-injustice

14 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

But I would respectfully like to ask - Did your education include ethics training? Does your profession have a code of ethics? And what are some of the major ethical challenges that your profession has to grapple with? 

Yes - ethics training is mandatory and must be refreshed periodically.  My sense of ethics has always directed my professional actions.

I think the issue with ethics training is that - if you are somebody who is fundamentally prepared to be unethical - you complete the training in order to stay licensed, but then go out and push the boundaries.  Whereas those with an inbuilt solid sense of ethics probably don't need the training at all. 

When I was in practice most (not all) ethical issues involved clients.  In the most extreme circumstances the outcome was to end the client relationship (which happened a couple of times).  The preferred approach is to have the client change path and correct whatever the ethical concern was.

After I jumped to the corporate world ethical issues came in all shapes and sizes.  A code of ethics generally prescribes a pathway to deal with issues, and if this is followed unsuccessfully then the professional is usually obliged to end the employment relationship or be at risk of breaching his or her own ethical standards.  Protecting client and employer confidentiality is an important concept within ethics, and this is only overriden in extreme circumstances, even in the event of suspected illegal activity.  In my case, as an accountant by profession and not a lawyer, I am obliged to advise the client or my employer to seek legal counsel.  If I suspect that illegal activity continues then I am obliged to withdraw from the engagement or employment.  Sometimes another law will override this ethical obligation to protect client confidentiality - especially in certain situations where the suspected illegality is criminal rather then civil.  I have never encountered such a situation.  Sadly, most of the bad behavior I have seen has involved throwing good people under the bus for internal political advantage.

14 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

. . But it's pretty USA-centric . . 

Can someone inform us about how these issues play out in New Zealand? 

Yes - sorry about that, but I guess the U.S. is the subject matter of this thread.  Unfortunately I cannot help with any current analysis of the N.Z. situation - I am too many years removed.

On 26/11/2020 at 5:10 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Still no sources - obviously not written by you. 

There is a thing call intellectual property . . 

image.jpeg.4144211386fab0047966393327def842.jpeg

Correct, I did not make up the stats and IP is a big thing which is why you, amongst many others should be far tidier than you are around that subject. I spent most of last week on things IP and was a little surprised how often we all breach others, mostly in tiny ways you'd never think were a thing.

I used to always put sources but no one else did so i thought you lot are obviously happy to take any old sh*t from anywhere so I stopped. But then when I do for some reason, which I can only assume is either poor reading comprehension or you're so blinkered for whatever reason, you can see it even when written in front of you.

As I replied to a post of yours, one in which you had already predetermined based on only sh*t in your own head with zero factual inputs -

On 26/11/2020 at 11:53 AM, KM... said:

No idea and I continually wonder why you do. All I put that down to is you must be a masochist.

Should we believe outputs from the US Dept of Statistics?

And in the post straight after that one was this

On 26/11/2020 at 11:59 AM, KM... said:

Unless you can give me a good reason not too I am going to run with the US Dept of Statistics numbers over those put out by some random...who may or may not but more than likely does have an agenda.

There is also another reason why I don't put sources as much these days. I because I win lots of things when you lot go 'fully fact free tribal based assumptions' in the responses. It's just another group of people playing you and in doing so some are benefiting nicely from it Thank You.

Note well muppets - When I say 'you' I am not being AJ specific as he's only one of far too many.

And just for you AJ, and for the 5th time the source is the US Dept of Statistics with a little graphing assistance by the US Census Bureau.

So I ask yet again - Should we believe outputs from the US Dept of Statistics?

Biden will take the oath of office on January 20 and become the next president of the US.

Trump continues to refuse to concede and yesterday claimed Biden will have to "prove" each of his 80 million votes if he wants to move into the White House.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/us-election-donald-trump-spends-3-million-in-wisconsin-recount-gives-joe-biden-132-more-votes/YGEET4V6DXDLD7JDXF7DRP73YY/

the loser seems to be flip-flopping.....on going gracefully or even going at all

apparently he is now demanding biden personally justify every 1 of the 80? million votes that put him ahead

pretty much all the machinery now seems to be paying trump lip-service or just ignoring him

someone should start a lottery kind of thing

where for $100 donated to an approved charity

people get a T-shirt and a "i'm on the team" chance to throw the trespassing-old-man

out of the white house jan20?

i'd be in just for the T-shirt 

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well, we might could do that, if such an agency existed; 

but there is no such thing a the "US Dept. of Statistics".

I also believe there is no country called USA yet you manage to work out what we mean when we say that. So the question as to be asked why do you insist on being such a pedantic dick?