Dinghy fantasy

Hi martin,

I built one of those many tears ago from 4mm ply. I didnt glass it so eventually (after 20years) it rotted through the bottom. Was very stable, I could stand up just inside the gunnel and it rowed like a witch with one person, but was slow with any more. Weighed next to nothing.

Cheers

Ok the lotto ticket idea does seem to be working and OCTenders aren’t currently doing the sailing version.

So I’ve got the workshop, time and foredeck space

So thinking of building a glassed stitch and glue ply dinghy between 3-3.5m that can sail first, row nicely and take our 5hp OB
already have a good 3.1m rib so will mean some of the crew can go exploring and the mothership will still have transport

Design options ??.?...???.

The 9'6 nutshell pram is supposed to sail well, but may be a bit short for what you have in mind.

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/products/96-nutshell-pram?variant=16904444608602

or the CLC Passagemaker, 3.5 m, and you can do a nesting option.

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/passagemaker-take-apart-dinghy-wooden-boat-kit.html

BP's Jimmy Skiff is there to:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/Jimmy-Skiff-II.html

5 minutes ago, It Got said:

On that page is a photo of 3 boats tied to a dock, I'm 95% I have a left hand  7'7" one sitting in my dingy locker. They look identical except on mine the front seat is a tank like arrangement for buoyancy.

It is a ripper, good load carrier, clocked 4.9kt with a 2hp when trialling next to some lectric OB's, rows real nice, can carry it with one hand and as to date is undefeated in evening beer fuelled around the moored boats sailing races :)

This one KM? I was going to build the 9'6 version and have spent a lot of time studying them. The 7'7 is the original and is supposed to be one of the best tenders around. The ducks nuts of tenders.

Sadly, after adding up the materials costs, I just went out and got a PVC deflatable. That and work kind of got in the way (time poor).

10 minutes ago, It Got said:

One day if I ever get to be a rich prick like you lot we may buy a boat with enough deck space to store a ding ;)

Wait, what did you say? One day you'll get that boat out of your garden?

2 hours ago, It Got said:

Which country are they in?

As in is it one they can ship to one of my suppliers for inclusion in a container heading our way?

Its the US. Port Townsend. They wont even ship to Canada... sounds like the random trade war stuff over there has really made it difficult to work out the duty and stuff for shipping. MAGA.

Very random they wont even do plans.

Sorry Jon, it looks like its a good boat, but a bit of a tease.

The Highlander 11 is similar in size and style, and I know these guys sell plans, because I've bought plans off them before. So has Clipper (the 4' Skylark, great for the kids)

The Highlander 11' Dinghy - this is a relatively new design with a beam of  5'2" and draft of 7"/3'1". Approx. weight is 105 lbs and Sail Area is 66 sq.ft.

The hull shape very much follows the original Highlander model with it's double chine, except that, in this case, we have gone for a plumb bow and transom and we have carried the 'V' bottom right through to the stern - this gives maximum internal space/volume for a given length of hull and makes a very practical family boat which is car toppable.

https://www.selway-fisher.com/Highup13.htm#HL

PLANS for the PT SPEAR? 

No. We do not have plans for the PT 11.

Why not?

It would certainly be to our great advantage to have plans. Unfortunately, our boats don't lend themselves easily to being built from plans. 

Our kits are designed in CAD from the ground up as KIT BOATS. We have really taken advantage of the kit technology using tongues and slots, scribe marks and alignment notches. 

There are 7 hull panels that are put together without any sort of jig (except for the bulkheads and machined gunwales). If the panels are not super accurate, then the bulkheads would not fit.  

Our kits are machined from 5 different thicknesses of ply wood, to both make the boat as light as it can be for its strength and make building it easier. 

Our goal from the beginning has been to make this rather sophisticated little boat as easy as possible for anyone to build. To that end, we have written a very detailed, instructional manual that includes hundreds of photos. The  daunting task of writing a manual specific to, and adequate for, building from plans is one we cannot consider right now.

Will you ever have plans? 

We hope to one day design a simpler boat that could be built from plans but it would be a compromise.

Do you Ship Overseas?  NOT AT PRESENT

Ocean freight is actually not bad. It is the port and clearance fees (+fumigation in AU) that are the bummer. Shipments of 3 or more kits can make up the minimum LCL of 1 cubic meter and really spreads out the port and clearance costs. So think group orders addressed to a commercial entity if you can.  Find out what the import costs are in your country. We are also working on paper patterns to replace the lumber kit. This should exempt the kit from the need for fumigation. Recently, AIR FREIGHT has become a viable option as I continue to work with shipping agents.

Canada: 12% - 13% HST.  Contact me for more information. Perhaps you would like to tour the Olympic Peninsula! We can also ship to pick up locations on the US side of the border.

At some point we will establish distributors in Europe and Australia but right now I have not focused on setting someone up in other places.  

Here’s an opportunity for someone, do you ship out of the US ‘Knot Got’

I'd get the full kit including sailing rig, the two piece carbon mast with Laser style setup is perfect for stowage and setup from onboard

Apparently the Hershoff H14 is very similar to the PT 11, there are line drawings and offsets (in old money) available here (link below), if you feel up to setting one out yourself. Wouldn't be that hard I would have thought. If you start with the bulkheads in the right shape, you can cut out the hull panels oversized and trim them in with a block plane. Basically design one yourself from a reasonable starting point.

Bottom of the page: https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/columns/austin/05/

CAD renderings here (need to scroll down a bit) http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?211858-Design-Plans-similar-to-PT11

It is fascinating the issues these (PT 11) are having with the shipping and export of the product. And the disclaimer around compliance with the USCG requirements for the boats. The trade war thing the Trump started certainly sounds like it is impacting these guys. Kind of different regulatory environment to what SME's seem to have to put up with in NZ.

H-14  X   PT 11 Dinghy - Lines.png

The highlander 11 could work, I like the centre board setup, one more thing that can’t fall out, with a laser type rig it would work.

This would be my first build so the PT11 looked ideal, not that I’ve never built anything, I’ve built three houses from scratch and renovated or extended many so competent carpenter more than boat builder

But everyone starts with their first one I guess