Dinghy fantasy

23 hours ago, Fish said:

Sounds like the PT 11 would be a good fit for your specs?

2lift has one on his tramp, so will be able to comment on their suitability etc.

3.35 m (or 11 ft in old money)

http://www.ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11Description.html

Just came across this,

Anything you would like to know, glad to answer....

We have the full sailing rig w/carbon spars version.  At anchor in Whangaruru at present, but headed back to the marina in Opua by the 6th. Glad to show you the boat and let you have a row or sail after that (assuming you are in the area?  I've written the folks at PT WC  about the situation and if I get something back about international shipping and the current order stoppage... will report back

IMG_4636.JPG

PT-11 at Rangiroa Atoll 122018.JPG

Nuka Hiva to the Tuamotus (Rangiroaa) (5).JPG

7 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

Don’t prams tow like a blunt turd?

I'm not aware of that. Depends on the amount of V upfront. The Nutshells have a good deep vee. Other designs have a dead flat bottom panel right up to the bow, but with good rocker. The pram bow doesn't start until above the waterline, so only an issue if in waves, but us racked a fair bit, so not so much barge like.

My understanding is that they tow better than a deflatable...

Been talking to Clipper

we are thinking about doing something similar to the PT11 

he wants the nesting and I’m keen on the fixed

get the panels cut then do the rest ourselves 

set them up so they take a laser radial rig

35 minutes ago, Jon said:

Been talking to Clipper

Be keen too.

Some renderings from WBF.

RB having a moan about plagiarism crikey man it’s a boat...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?211858-Design-Plans-similar-to-PT11&highlight=pT11

E02044E7-E8D4-4CB8-822C-40D702667014.thumb.png.5fda40a6a9e5bd7ab15db6d46f03b914.png26E64E92-902A-4752-8B09-33AB8748B6D9.thumb.png.bb6497fe36b0223033fc246a1098d803.png734F4F5D-2BB2-4FFA-9B3D-CBBAEBD79CD3.thumb.png.a4aba7c7e64267a615e6b0e199539dc6.png01A188EA-7BB6-4AFA-A3B2-FE9C0E8D0739.thumb.png.e033728cf63f2915aed27eb26f82f56d.png

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Been talking to Clipper

If you've got the design sorted, I think it is straight forward cutting the panels yourself. Pencil lines marked with a curvy piece of wood, jigsaw then block plane down to the lines. The trick is getting the design right so you can get the 3D shape of the boat onto 2D (flat) panels and it all fits together. But if you do the design in a CAD platform, it is also straight forward to then get them cut out. Should make tricky details easier like getting the stem just right.

I really don't think it can be that hard designing a small boat, its just generally easier to buy plans because someone has already done that work. Be interesting to hear how you get on.

Clipper has some crowd that cut the last one he did for a bottle of rum, he said it saved heaps of sanding as panels came out spot on.

Just need the cad plans now, if we did a few would really help with sourcing materials etc.

Interested in how the panels are joined if the dinghy s more than a ply sheet long, if you want 6mm ply do you cut the panels from 3mm and stagger the join and glue the two to make 6mm ?

or just join on a bulkhead and glass together with a beveled edge ?

I agree re plans. I have bought 2 sets of plans and built 2 dinghies before. No matter what they cost, they are prob good value compared to doing it yourself. For me, there arn’t plans available for a sleek looking, nesting, sailing dinghy. I love the PT11, but that is a no go as either a kit or plans. I was. Very tempted by the woods duo, but it is just a bit basic/ugly for my tastes. Seems very close to what i was after though. 

https://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/46-beach-cats-and-dinghies/420-duo-10ft-sailrow-dinghy

Maybe need to talk to Itgotknotme, if he brings in heavy stuff from the US there could be lots of room above it for some PT11 kits in the container ?

We all seem to be agreed that the PT is the best looking design to date.

I’d like to see some testing numbers for puzzle  joints vs scarfing. Scarfing is actually extremely easy using a simple home made jig for your power planer, and makes a joint that is almost perfect with respect to maintaining the plywood’s bending strength in all directions. 

The last dinghy I did I simple scarfed two 2.5*1.55 sheets together end to end and cut all the planks from it.

Yes but Youtube post is the firsthand experience of a cruising couple who have been using a home-made Spindrift for several years - including the pros & cons. The whole video is all about the Spindrift.