Living aboard in Auckland

Hi,

I'm moving to Auckland (from Opua) in Feb to spend a couple of years at uni. Plan to live on my boat down there (been 7 years, why change now!) and looking for a convenient place to find a mooring. Don't know Auckland very well.

Ideally need somewhere within a few km from Auck centre, relatively sheltered with somewhere to keep car and dingy. Boat is 14 m LOA 1.5 m draft. Any ideas?

Cheers, Lily

Do a search for moorings on Trademe. There are quite a few that may suit your needs, both for rent and for sale. Most of them have their locations and if you then take a squiz on Google Earth, you can work out exactly where and if that will suit you.

What a total pratt!

How the hell is living on a boat bludging? Rates are a charge based on property. Property owners pay them and non property owners don't. As over 50% of the population don't own property then thats alot of bludgers. Maybe we should go for the Council Tax as used in the UK which puts a 'tax' on every individual but is not related to property?

Tamaki River up by Panmure is a good location, or up near Herald Island. Both offer shelter and facilities ashore. Also Westpark Marina and Bayswater Marina offer facilities for cruising yachts.

cheers

People who pay rent are paying the landlord's rates.

How is it bludging? Oh I don't know?????? I wonder who pays for the road maintenance and the rubbish collection, and cleaning the streets, and the parking spaces, and the parks and foreshore where you might park the dinghy, and administering the city, and the stormwater system, and the sewers????? Oh its probably the same people who pay for all the items that dumbarses are always saying the Government should pay for.

And yes half the people at Uni are bludgers who would rather do a degree in flaxweaving than do something useful. And yes I think it is sad that Paul Henry was pilloried and the same with Jeremy Clarkson in the UK.

If you want to live on board your yacht, then that is just fine by me, just don't come ashore to use any of the facilities.

People who pay rent are paying the landlord's rates.

How is it bludging? Oh I don't know?????? I wonder who pays for the road maintenance and the rubbish collection, and cleaning the streets, and the parking spaces, and the parks and foreshore where you might park the dinghy, and administering the city, and the stormwater system, and the sewers????? Oh its probably the same people who pay for all the items that dumbarses are always saying the Government should pay for.

And yes half the people at Uni are bludgers who would rather do a degree in flaxweaving than do something useful. And yes I think it is sad that Paul Henry was pilloried and the same with Jeremy Clarkson in the UK.

If you want to live on board your yacht, then that is just fine by me, just don't come ashore to use any of the facilities.

You're confusing direct with indirect contributions. If you go ashore to catch a bus or rent a car you are immediately paying something into the local economy. If you buy things from the local shops your purchase contributes towrds the shop's costs some of which go towards rates and services. On your argument, BBW, anyone who visits without living ashore is a bludger. Maybe we should ban tourists and the spend they bring when they step ashore?

amadis - don't be put off by this response, he doesn't speak for all Aucklanders.

I wonder who pays for the road maintenance and the rubbish collection, and cleaning the streets, and the parking spaces, and the parks and foreshore where you might park the dinghy, and administering the city, and the stormwater system, and the sewers?????

Blimey, who pissed in your Cornflakes Bret. I don't mind ones complaining about bludgers, I do it myself, but dude, at least get your facts right before leaping into someone like that. Do you not realise that you pay rates on the Mooring?? It's not alot, but it doesn't equate to a lot of land area either. But if you take the rates paid on bare land and break that down to a square metre area, it works out about the same as the mooring block takes up. And seeing as I have not yet seen Sewerage, Water, Power, Phone and a footpath taken right to the Mooring block, it works out about the same. So a Mooring owner does in fact pay an equal share.

Car park? well she will have to pay for where ever she parks. I don't know of any Marina that will accept her car for free. If she parks it on a road somewhere, well that's a pretty huge risk. And anyway, the tax on fuel and parking metres pay for the roads.

And what facilities would be around that she would not have to pay to use. Do they have free showers to just anyone in the Marinas up in Auckland???

As for your Uni comments, you obviously haven't been there of late and had to pay for a class. But free education is not free at Primary or Secondary school let alone Uni anymore.

Ditch the car, especially in Auckland. We lived aboard in Bayswater & I did a 10 minute commute each way to downtown in inflatable dinghy (go & be nice to Brian or one of the guys at the Maritime Museum for dinghy dock). If Bayswater is out of your budget there are swing moorings available around that area but most places within the harbour will be uncomfortable at times. Tamaki River and Herald Island (whilst very nice & quiet) would be one hell of a commute.

[ Do you not realise that you pay rates on the Mooring??

To get real picky here, No mooring holders don't in fact pay Rates on their mooring. What they pay, this is in Akl and surroundings and may differ elsewhere, is a fee ($109 per year I think it is) for the use of that spot. That fee goes directly to the ARC Maritime Team (MAROPS) for running themselves and harbour. It doesn't get into the general fund to be used for important things like flower arrangements. Personally I think that is a great set-up as the coin goes back into the place where it came from i.e. from water users back for the benefit of the water users. Do marina users contribute as well??? Sorry I don't know but would like to think they do.

My understanding is short term, and that length does vary a little on just how much you piss off or don't, the MAROPS team or the locals, you can live aboard on a mooring but I'm pretty sure more than a few weeks and questions will be asked and a 'suggestion' made to find an alternative arrangement. The MAROPS team are good so it's knot a 'Hello, now you have 10mins to bugger off' deal, you will be given time but it's likely to be days/a week or 2 rather than longer. I do think the Regs say only a few days unless you have specific permission for a good reason. Ring the MAROPS team and I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you the low down, they are bloody good like that, mostly all are ugly as sin but still handy dudes ;) Ph 09 362 0397

Here are a list of mooring for sale and or rent - http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/coastal-and-marine/harbourmaster/moorings/moorings-for-sale.cfm There are more elsewhere but this will give you an idea.

Anyway - What Pwederall said is also what I'm thinking. There a a lot of live-aboards in Bayswater. And No you can't have Pwederalls old spot as it's got some rather sexy looking beast very very short of make-up in it, that looks... errr.... just like my boat. By golly, it is my boat :lol:

OK, so is it once again just us Marlbarians getting screwed again. It's about double that amount down here. I was pretty sure we paid for the "seabed area". Or at least I know they were strongly murnering it and if we aren't charged that yet, then when it happens, then the cost per year will increase even more.

it's got some rather sexy looking beast very very short of make-up in it, that looks... errr.... just like my boat. By golly, it is my boat :lol:

Nightcap is starting to look the same after a few years of cruising now. Off to do another delivery soon and am taking as crew a guy who owns a signwriting & graphics company here. Standby for quote on vinyl coating with graphics.

Ideally need somewhere within a few km from Auck centre, relatively sheltered with somewhere to keep car and dingy.

Based on that wish list you're out of luck around these parts pal.

The best you could probably do is trade in your boat for a Warram cat and park it on the mud in little Shoal Bay.

The bonus with a Warram is that a set of flax woven sails might not look out of place too!

Out of interest, was it you flushing your live aboard bog that helped contribute to all of the oyster farmers up the harbour from Opua being shut down due to faecol contamination? :sick:

No , that was the local council.

I read recently of a group of liveaboards that some narrow minded locals were trying to expel in Florida. The same dreary old "what about the sh*t" argument was rolled out. So just for fun someone actually did some arithmetic. He calculated mass of water passing through with each tide, then surmised that every boat owner in the place (not just liveaboards) took a sh*t at exactly the same time, then deduced that each turd was indivivually flushed with 12,000 gallons of water, then went for a swim

Brett, I'll stop pooping if youu'll stop driving your car. Did you know that runoff from the roads that goes directly into Auckland Harbour is probably the single biggest polluter we have - by an order of several magnitudes.

And when it rains just about every plant in the country fires untreated poo into the water by the hundreds of thousands of tons, yep, liveaboards are a huge problem.

Out of interest, was it you flushing your live aboard bog that helped contribute to all of the oyster farmers up the harbour from Opua being shut down due to faecol contamination? :sick:

A common misconception in the BoI is that poor water quality is caused by yachties. Go find out how many communities up there have reticulated wastewater networks. What you actually have is a large number of properties on septic tanks. Septic tanks fail. Run off goes into the waterways and into the harbour. Population on land is several magnitudes higher than population on the water. Its the lack of any infrastructure that is screwing the water quality in the BoI.

Then we could talk farming run off, but you just go blame the one, singlur, visible source on a boat, and miss the facts entirely

No , that was the local council.

And when it rains just about every plant in the country fires untreated poo into the water by the hundreds of thousands of tons, yep, liveaboards are a huge problem.

Ever been down to Coxes Creek or Meola Creek after heavy rain. both of those catchements have huge Inflow & Infiltration. Other than the smell, the signs everywhere saying 'don't let your dog go in the water' is a bit of a give away raw sewerage spills at those places regularly.

Then we can talk about the St Heleirs and Kohi catchments. The sewer outfall at Orakie, everyone think thats abandoned? I beleive the correct term is 'constructed overflow', but there is better dilution there so you don't normally get the warning signs up after spills in heavy rain. And North Shore leaks like a siv, pooh on every beach after the rain. Accept they are spending a lot of money trying to fix it. $250mil at last count, not countign the $106mil for the new marine outfall pipe from Rosedale though.

But yeah, you could get that one person on a boat to pay rates, that will provide enough money for descent infrastructure. :crazy: :crazy:

Undeducated, anti live aboard snobs bringing up tired old arguments yet again.

Septic tanks DO NOT get rid of faecal choloforms and pathogens. Major treatment stations often do via UV treatment or chlorination.

One of New Zealand's leading mollusc marine biologists (Andrea Blackburn) has argued that mollusc farming benefits from discharge of raw sewerage. Filter feeders such as mussels help to clean the water as well as benefiting from the high nutrient content.