Tigre goes down the mine!

Clive

Clive, you gotta be more careful!!!

It sure happens quickly, huh

Unbelievably quick! Jeez.... tell you what we were on the lookout for deep waves after that and sailed over them accordingly..... didn't slow us down though!

Funny my sunnies were knocked off and every thing just went bright all of a sudden.... that plus a healthy kick into the cabin top!

Was that the winch handle that got tangled up in the sheet? I must admit that the very thing you've shown us is what scares me about multis. (don't worry, I still want one!) I've watched the vid over and over again and I can see what happened immediately prior to the nose going in, but sheesh that was quick! Good on you for showing it.

Was that the winch handle that got tangled up in the sheet? I must admit that the very thing you've shown us is what scares me about multis. (don't worry, I still want one!) I've watched the vid over and over again and I can see what happened immediately prior to the nose going in, but sheesh that was quick! Good on you for showing it.

Hey you learn from your mistakes eh ... it was bl@@dy quick!

This is what I think we could have done to avoided it.

1. Look for the big waves – we had hit plenty with no issue and you kinda get complacent. We never really pressed the bows in much so I guess it’s the ‘just right’ one that got us (height/length)

2. Keep the kite curling and keep the sheet clear to run.

3. Take her down and big ease to slow her down – looks like the St’board bow tripped first.

4. Avoid wearing sunglasses! – What was really weird was everything going bright as they got knocked off. :lol:

Would be interested to hear what the pros have to say as I would rather not do it again.

But hey ... What a fantastic sail! :thumbup:

Clive

Looks like you need some more boards down. in those situations the helmsman needs to be quite aggressive on the helm. to do that the boat needs to have some bite in the water. We also make sure nothing is in the self tailers on the winches as that completely screws any chance of letting things go quckly. usually there is not too much else you can do apart from pulling away a bit. this is the great thing about having different designs racing together as they all behave differently. We on taeping had a couple of good nose dives too on the way up but not hand stands like that. One we went from 22kts down to 9kts. we tend not to nose dive like that as the mast is a long way back in the boat. Did you have all your gear at the back of the boat?

Clive

Looks like you need some more boards down. in those situations the helmsman needs to be quite aggressive on the helm. to do that the boat needs to have some bite in the water. We also make sure nothing is in the self tailers on the winches as that completely screws any chance of letting things go quckly. usually there is not too much else you can do apart from pulling away a bit. this is the great thing about having different designs racing together as they all behave differently. We on taeping had a couple of good nose dives too on the way up but not hand stands like that. One we went from 22kts down to 9kts. we tend not to nose dive like that as the mast is a long way back in the boat. Did you have all your gear at the back of the boat?

thanks for the tips... come to think of it we did have some gear in the bows.

maybe his problem was that he had a couple of leadwinger sailors on board - I mean - check out that lazy arse bloke lying about doing nothing on the tramp. Wild Oats - eh - clearly already had the party on his mind!

maybe his problem was that he had a couple of leadwinger sailors on board - I mean - check out that lazy arse bloke lying about doing nothing on the tramp. Wild Oats - eh - clearly already had the party on his mind!

haha ... yea one comment was "you have to ease a lot quicker than on a keeler eh!" :lol:

seriously though these leadwinges (Ryan and Troy) got us 2nd place. Cheers guys :thumbup:

Yeah way to go clive! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: thats how to send an 8.5 mate! it reminds me of something Rob Shaw told me when I first started sailing multi's - the smaller they are the more fun they are! - we had a little one similar at sail rock but only 2 sail reaching so yeah the sea state is the biggest factor in parking up like that. we went through a couple of big waves like Send it says and slowed considerably but it's always that odd one out that grabs you and pulls you in! Hahahahaha Yea-ah! as long as your ready on the sheet it's all good and no way you get bored sailing these things thats for sure!

Great to see you guys sending it and giving it the message!
'The message' being what exactly??

And I'll echo the 'shite that was fast' comments.

Grant

go sailing on a multi when it is fresh and you will know exactly what I am saying!! :D :D

Great to see you guys sending it and giving it the message!
'The message' being what exactly??

And I'll echo the 'shite that was fast' comments.

Grant

go sailing on a multi when it is fresh and you will know exactly what I am saying!! :D :D

Been there done that for quite a few seasons. Never saw a message bar the odd one being towed by a light aircraft.

Clive

I find this very interesting. Moving up from beach cats might not be as seamless as I had hoped. I have always been advised by the top guys in OTBC classes to raise the boards level to the case in a blow when off the breeze so that the hulls will slide and bear away. My only huge nosedive was when there was too much pressure on the boards in a really big blow to get them up and we tripped over them. Literally. It was as if the main took over and the resistance off the board just helped suck it's bows down. The manufacturer told us afterwards this is exactly what happened. Spectacular, if painful. Couldn't bear away with two on the wire off the transom. Rudders just cavitated. Dumping traveller and sheet seemed to have the effect of just opening up more sail area to the breeze as the apparent shifted back as we not so gracefully turned into bait being cast forward. I have always wondered if we had left the traveller and sheet if there would have been much difference. Sheeted on as the apparent goes aft might have resulted in less of a torsional rotation on the rig, for want of a better term. Is this a clear no-no or is there a split decision on hard sheeting downwind?

All advice on handling tips/ avoiding tips for an 8.5 very appreciated!

Archived