BP's (the boat) chines

Your sistership is in the hands of a skiff sailor who is making me nervous about the loads he's piling into her so a couple of questions if I may.

At rest with standard sorts of load aboard does BP's (the boat not the man) chines get immersed?

Have you had much of or any chance to compare her when she is light to when she is heavy and if so did it make a big difference i.e. is she very weight sensitive?

Would you think your current loading is average, heavy, ridiculously heavy?

If she was nudging ridiculously heavy would you be happy with her like that way out in the deep blue if a nasty arrived?

If she was very bow heavy would you be happy out in the deep blue if a nasty arrived?

The skiffy is bloody hard to beat and a multiple Champion in a few classes so a bloody good sailor BUT like all sailors we can excel in some areas but be total muppets in others. I'm just not entirely sure the same applies when talking boat keelers and offshore. He's been offshore in her but has since made quite a few changes and increased her weigh a lot. He's now talking about putting some big kilos into his already bow down boat which is also making me think 'long skinny and bloody heavy in the bow surfing down a wave..... will that end well?'

What's your take on BP and how she would go if she was heavily loaded, especially in the bow?

27 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Your sistership is in the hands of a skiff sailor who is making me nervous about the loads he's piling into her so a couple of questions if I may.

At rest with standard sorts of load aboard does BP's (the boat not the man) chines get immersed?

Never. Chines right now 2 to 4 inches clear

Have you had much of or any chance to compare her when she is light to when she is heavy and if so did it make a big difference i.e. is she very weight sensitive?

Light is always better.  Going to Fiji fully laden sluggish but no worries about loading or heavy weather. 

Would you think your current loading is average, heavy, ridiculously heavy?

On a designed weight of 12 tonne i estimate today living aboard we are around 1.5tonnes over that.

If she was nudging ridiculously heavy would you be happy with her like that way out in the deep blue if a nasty arrived?

No

If she was very bow heavy would you be happy out in the deep blue if a nasty arrived?

Definitely no. Hard to trim that out because lots of waterline.  I would like my bow a couple of inches higher but moving everything I can think of aft has made no discernible difference 

The skiffy is bloody hard to beat and a multiple Champion in a few classes so a bloody good sailor BUT like all sailors we can excel in some areas but be total muppets in others. I'm just not entirely sure the same applies when talking boat keelers and offshore. He's been offshore in her but has since made quite a few changes and increased her weigh a lot. He's now talking about putting some big kilos into his already bow down boat which is also making me think 'long skinny and bloody heavy in the bow surfing down a wave..... will that end well?'

What's your take on BP and how she would go if she was heavily loaded, especially in the bow?

She was intended to be a light boat. Displacement/ length is well under 100. I think your concerns are justified and would suggest a professional opinion a good idea. Someone like Kevin Dibley maybe?

Cheers for that.

I was thinking pretty much all that, especially the 'She was intended to be a light boat' part when chatting to BJ so was a bit concerned at how she'd handle all the weight they are put on and looking to put on. When I asked what's your waterline done he said 'Not sure due to all the changes but I think about 140-150mm down and the chines are getting wet' I thought 'Oh oh'. Then I thought I know someone with pretty much the same ride and with shedload of deep blue experience some in that very design, lets tap their knowledge to see what they think.

What size is your chain and how much do you have?

BJ is looking at dropping in around 370kg of new chain, winch and anchor, I'm not too sure I like the idea of all that weight in a fine bow like that.

Interesting what you say about your bow and moving weight. I also like bows up over down. Maybe your 'weight' is just not that much, BJ's seems to be along the lines of '1000kg is not that much', I'm not sure I'd agree with him, I'd say that was a significant amount.

If you're thinking designed at 12 and you're 13-13.5ish in full live aboard, from chatting I think BJ is talking one or 2 at least more than you. There is just nothing 'lite weight' in any of the discussion.

I think I may push a chat about weight and see where he goes with it. It is a thing we consider often which generally ends up as just a heads up sort of a chat but this one has me thinking it may need to be more.

But in the better news division, He and She very much like their big lady which is good seeing they are also live aboards. She's down in Akl somewhere or should be, they were hanging for L3 to end so they could get down here.

I understand BJ is currently black with a white stripe where BP is now white with a black stripe. Is one is the photo and the other the negative? :)

19 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I'll take a photo of the anchoring gear tomorrow.  Does 35kg manson plough and 60m chain sound right?

Yeap, chain is a little shorter the usual taken to the Pac Islands (80-100mts) but most tend to under estimate what's in their locker.

19 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I forgot to mention Angela's 500 kg of clothes and 60 pairs of shoes. 

As I know 3 teenage females couldn't spend a week on a 60fter without 7 handbags just in case we stopped at the KIYC so I have no problem believing that :)

Chain with rust....Oh I do like that 😃😃😃

Yeah, you're floating a lot higher than BJ. And I think looking at weight in a better, can be read as safer, manner than Mr BJ is.