Livestock Ship Missing

These ships (livestock ships and car transporters) look so unstable to me in flat water, I would really not want to be on one in a typhoon. Hope this works out ok, but the initial news report does not sound promising. 43 crew...

Two New Zealanders are believed to be onboard a ship missing after a typhoon off the coast of Japan.

The ship, Gulf Livestock 1, carrying 5800 cows left Napier on August 14, carrying 43 crew members.

Stuff understands there are at least two New Zealanders on board.

Japanese national media outlet, NHK Japan, is reporting the Panamanian-registered cargo ship issued a distress signal in waters to the west of Amami Oshima Island in southwestern Japan.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/wellington/122649647/two-new-zealanders-onboard-ship-missing-in-japanese-region-hit-by-typhoon

A survivor has been rescued from the water after a ship with two New Zealanders and 41 others onboard went missing during a typhoon off the coast of Japan.

The ship, Gulf Livestock 1, carrying about 5867 cattle left Napier on August 14, was carrying 43 crew members.

That is not good news. Sadly not surprising it has capsized. Can you imagine the windage on one of those things in a gale? With any loss of propulsion, you'd be beam onto the sea in seconds.

can't help but think a few too many corners got cut somewhere along the line

pretty lucky for that guy to survive in just a life jacket, guess it was because they were within range of a well funded helo + SAR 

doubt he'll be feeling too chipper about being the sole survivor

Massive ship to have that happen. Despite their ungainly appearance they don't lose many of them. 

I recently read a book about the sinking of the 700 foot cargo ship El Faro in a cyclone a few years ago. Called into the raging sea or something along those lines. Was an interesting read, they had a manged to find the "black box" recorder from the bridge. Catalogue of failures leading up to the event. 

The Gulf Livestock 1 is a 139m, Panamanian-flagged cargo vessel built in 2002.

According to Baird Maritime, the Philippine Navy had helped the vessel in July this year when it suffered an engine breakdown near its maritime boundary.

It had reportedly been undergoing sea trials at the time. After repairs, it headed towards Australia.

In May last year, Australian authorities held the vessel back for a week because of navigation and stability problems.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/425193/missing-cattle-export-ship-rescue-efforts-to-continue-amid-second-typhoon

2 hours ago, Veladare said:

I was on a pretty new PCC late last year, was shocked to see that it only had one engine... and also how small it was.

just about all modern cargo ships have only one engine, even the huge Maersk container ships and the bulk carriers, eg the Valemax ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valemax#Design

Its the auxillary systems that normally cause the problems isn't it?

All the bunker fuel heating, polishing, lift pumps. Power generation for hydraulics, rudder, starter motors, electrical supply, ventilation etc You often don't need a very big piece of kit to pack up, and your main engine wont go, or if your main engine stops, it is substantially harder to get it going again.

23 hours ago, jim s said:

I see these big ships sink fairly often ( every week ?)

Wow, that is shocking. I had no idea so many vessels were lost each year. But then, these large Ships are designed to give only 30yrs of service before being scrapped and yet many are still operated well beyond that time.
I once worked for a guy that was a retired Master of the large Oil tankers. He retired simply because he said the industry had become too dangerous. The Ships were still in service when rust of significant structural areas was a major problem. Plus he was Captaining during the time when the Crews were being replaced with cheap labor. He said it was time to get out before he became yet another statistic. 

1 hour ago, wheels said:

Wow, that is shocking. I had no idea so many vessels were lost each year. But then, these large Ships are designed to give only 30yrs of service before being scrapped and yet many are still operated well beyond that time.
I once worked for a guy that was a retired Master of the large Oil tankers. He retired simply because he said the industry had become too dangerous. The Ships were still in service when rust of significant structural areas was a major problem. Plus he was Captaining during the time when the Crews were being replaced with cheap labor. He said it was time to get out before he became yet another statistic. 

One sinking a week out of this collection not all that surprising.

There are 50,000 or so registered merchants ships worldwide.

large_QkFngXTjOi_M7XZmzApbAxQwcOGugHJMyihQw3V5T3Q.jpg.34c03388319f24775e6ac9abb5cb7eb1.jpg