Boat Show

Under the current rules I dont see how this show can go ahead, many in the industry are waiting for the BIA to pull the pin, three shows cancelled in France last week and one in Germany, plus the biggest trade show for the industry METS in Holland.

It costs a fortune to display and understandably the association are reluctant to make a call as that is where a lot of their income is derived but is it right for this year?

Wont happen.

Need L1 to have more than 100 people in one place, even with 100 people, you need to know exactly who was there, and when...

The logistics will be a mare, and in my opinion, general numbers will down, cause a few people would not like the idea of mingling in large crowds due to something going around at the moment...

I'm supposed to be at a big industry conference at the end of Sept, if its not L1 by Monday, its going to be canned.

I think what people are waiting for is tomorrow's announcement on if we go to L1 on Sunday night. I'd actually forgotten about that.

With Auckland being in L 2.5, I can't see how we can go straight to L1. That would be gatherings of no more than 10, to conferences of 1,000, or boat shows of, what is it normally, 10,000?

L 2 is gatherings of 100, so there is a big difference.

With L1 the AC could have good crowds IF we stay at L1. But there is a lot to see on TV, and people on private boats on the water. The big crowds are for victory parades etc, and those wanky dock out walks they do.

L2.5 to Wednesday 16th midnight at the earliest, announcement if it will move then to be made on Monday 14th.

When was the boat show supposed to be on?

Wonder what contingencies there are for the Coastal Classic? do the race but no prize giving? Use zoom video conference for the safety briefing, prize giving, and to give the sponsors some coverage?

As an aside, hopefully not much thread drift . . . 

Boats, kayaks, bicycles etc are selling very well in the US 

People are apparently looking for non-close-up recreation. 

A good time to sell a boat here actually 

Sailing Clubs here are starting up regattas again - just without the cheek to jowl parties 

Good boats are selling like hot cakes in NZ too. Especially late-ish model production boats which are flying off the shelves. Brokers tell me they can’t get enough good stock. Combination of realisation that it won’t be possible to do the big expensive foreign family holidays for a while plus returning kiwis apparently. 

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

As an aside, hopefully not much thread drift . . . 

Boats, kayaks, bicycles etc are selling very well in the US 

People are apparently looking for non-close-up recreation. 

A good time to sell a boat here actually 

Sailing Clubs here are starting up regattas again - just without the cheek to jowl parties 

I can verify that in NZ as well, having purchased Mt bikes, paddle boards, surf boards and a wind surfer since the start of the first lockdown. All active recreation, permitted under all but L4, and can be done locally and safely.

As with any crises, there are normally equal parts risk and opportunity. Just depends what side of the ledger your own.

They've still got tickets on sale this morning. I'm not keen to buy one though. No exhibitor maps available either. I understand its at the Cloud and Viaduct Harbour, what with TNZ taking over the other place. Would certainly have a disjointed feel to it.