I am about to start an internal refit of my boat. I have no real experience with this sort of thing but I am a quick learner (well I think so)

What is the best ply to use for cabinets, seats, berths etc? Meranti?

What size?

Join with epoxy and fibreglass tape?

Do I need to seal with epoxy or just prime and paint?

What did you use Zozza?

Meranti is quite heavy. Whatever you use seal it thoroughly with epoxy, exposed unsealed end grain takes up moisture like a sponge . Marine grade plywood is called that because of its glue grade, not because the wood is treated or sealed. Boat builders here used to get plywood tanalised but I do not think that is available now.

Marine ply actually is "marine" because it has 2 good looking exterior plys and is free from any voids.  They use the same glue in the next grade down at least.  As ply gets cheaper, you have less attractive finishes, more voids etc etc.  You don't have to use "marine" ply for interior work unless you want to varnish it.

Find a good ply supplier and ask advice about the different stuff they sell, for example Scooters here in Whangarei offer a good range and give excellent advice.

Marine ply uses more specific waterproof glues than standard ply.

If you want the best to use in boats get BS1088 rated ply, that means it's got the good glues, minimal if any voids and stands up to mold/fungus attack better than standard.

Gaboon is a good one and tends to usually be up to 1088. Nice to use, lighter end of the spectrum, good strength, commonly used on marine and a good looker.

But you could use a good standard pine if you wanted. That will have voids and so on and will need to be coated well but if you're not doing structural stuff it can finish up very nicely. It does tend to be less stable than a 1088 though so bigger flat panels will be harder in pine than a BS1088 as the pine tends to cup and things like that, which is not a issue if being fixed to some sort of framing but couple be if used as a bulkhead for example.

If it's not structural look at weight, it is easy to think 'Oh only one sheet, that's bigger all' only to find 3 or 4 sheets later.....

When you get the pricing for the 'marine' and BS1088, I think your thoughts will crystallise around what spec you want to use, especially if it is not structural. My view on it, is you need the BS 1088 stuff if you are making the hull out of it. If you are doing under bunks, back of galley stuff, it would be much better to use a lower cost option. But do seal it all. Within your interior refit, if you want nice wood finished faces, get the better looking stuff for those areas. There are dollars, and then there are dollars with plywood and the different grades and specs.

18 hours ago, Sabre said:

I am about to start an internal refit of my boat. I have no real experience with this sort of thing but I am a quick learner (well I think so)

What is the best ply to use for cabinets, seats, berths etc? Meranti?

What size?

Join with epoxy and fibreglass tape?

Do I need to seal with epoxy or just prime and paint?

What did you use Zozza?

Giday Sabre,
Do I sense a refit series of a Raven on Yootoob? :-)

I really only used ply for the new companionway, and it was a good quality marine ply - which name I can't remember.  I soaked it all in resin too - not sure if needed too, but I did anyway, just to make sure.

Sealing ply is a must for longevity. Heat the ply and apply it on cooling phase (pm) to avoid outgassing bubbles. Periodically flame or heat gun to burst them. Saves filling later. Don’t flame thinned epoxy! 
Attention to end grain as mentioned. 
peelply on any fillet and tab does a nice clean job and gets rid of excess resin.
Be aware of blush if using epoxy.

Theres the easy way vs hard, as usual.

We used 6mm for non structural, 12mm for bh ‘s and stations. Meranti and Okoume.

Hey Zozza thanks for that. I seem to rememember your interior was all undercoated when I saw it so I had assumed you had done some mods below as well.

Bought her home this week and just starting to plan all the jobs (slightly overwhelming) but time to get serious and get it all sorted so I can still sneak in a summer cruise!

937903772_Screenshot_20200904-155419_Gallery2.jpg.621846411236dad3b059efc61e53966b.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Slowly starting to get my head around it.

I'm more than happy to pay a premium for the BS1088. I think I will be painting it all so I'm not worried about the look of the timber/grain etc.

Sounds like Meranti or Okoume mostly in 6mm should be the ducks nuts.

Thanks Lateral, I will look into the heating/applying epoxy technique and the peel ply. Also made a mental note not to hit thinned epoxy with a flame ☻