Seafaring nation?

3 hours ago, 2flit said:

Can Someone Please explain to me why the German cruisers who have EU passports (which allow them to stay in French Polynesia long term) .... why they can not have just stayed there or sailed back there to one of the two hurricane safe areas in FP?

One of the reasons may be the costs of staying there .

i did two winters working there 20 years ago . A trundler full of groceries back then would usually come in @ 700-750 NZD . The rule of thumb was that everything was 3x more expensive than in France and France is not cheap 

C'mon Sabre, you're going to have to articulate yourself better than with just a down vote. Are you disagreeing with what I'm saying, or how I'm saying it?

If you've got a counter to my argument, I'd been keen to hear it?

Calm down Sabre, and let the emotion settle down a bit. You are saying several things there that I did not say and don't agree with. You are conflating a number of issues.

I am not at all concerned about these guys bringing the virus in. They'd all be sick as a dog before they got here if they had it. I'm actually fairly concerned how a boat could leave a place like Tahiti that is virus ridden, and the risk of coming down with it mid passage. There is near-zero risk of any cruiser brining the virus in. The issue is how long they will stay for when they get here.

Now, we might get into quibbling a bit here, but isn't this what the OCC has been saying "lives and property are at risk", "this is a humanitarian issue" etc

Contrary to your post, to the best of my recollection no one has stated that coming to NZ is the ONLY option for the cruisers however it is probably the safest, simplist and most sensible option.

Yes, coming to NZ is the simplest and easiest. But it is not the only option.

The issue, as you have said, comes back to fairness. I have a family member, who is an NZ citizen (the born here variety) who has worked hard all his life, not far off retirement, who took an overseas posting for a year, and is currently stuck in Brazil because there is no physical way to get home (closed borders, no transits) and is logistically very challenged in shifting his worldly possessions etc, not to mention job prospects and not having a home here to move back into etc etc

Many of these cruisers will be advancing in years, have worked  hard all their lives and are now having a crack at fulfilling the bucket list trip of their lifetime and you are suggesting tuff titties? fack off back to your country of origin because you are either paranoid about a virus they don't have or you are fiercely loyal to the government's stance on foriegn cruisers?

The fact of the matter is, there is a global pandemic that is f**king a few things up for a few people. Sometimes life is sh*t. Yes, tuff titties. The border was closed for very good reason. But what does a closed border mean? When is a border closed but not closed? When we close it, but let people in anyway? Is that still a closed border?

In reality, world cruising is dead for a number of years. Boats suitable for world cruising are not going to have a high resale value, unless they are good for local cruising or living aboard (which many will be), and you can get them to somewhere they can be cruised or lived on. Anyone thinking they can complete that particular bucket list item now of sailing around the world is not facing the reality of the situation.

Trying to put an argument that these guys should be able to complete their bucket list is not a strong argument. My kids should be able to go to school for a full term. People should be able to visit their parents in resthomes, say goodbye before the die, and attend their funeral too.

I do think it would be fair and reasonable for the cruisers to come in, park their boats up and fly home within a number of days. They should be given an exit option. I don't think they should be able to come in and stay for the 2, 3 or 4 years its going to take until they can legitimately carry on around the world. That is the reality of it.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Sabre said:

My emotions are just fine and dandy thank you Fish. You asked for my opinion even though it is already well stated. There it is. 

You are still trying to over complicate a very simple issue imo.

Appreciate your reply. My apologies if I've over complicated it. Sometimes the obvious aspects are not the important ones. Example being I don't think the issue is these cruisers coming here, I think (from an immigration / govt point of view) is how long are they going to stay?

5 hours ago, 2flit said:

Can Someone Please explain to me why the German cruisers who have EU passports (which allow them to stay in French Polynesia long term) .... why they can not have just stayed there or sailed back there to one of the two hurricane safe areas in FP?

No, because no one knows, they were held incommunicado here. Perhaps we will find out when they get back to Germany 

13 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Hey fish, saying that liveaboard cruisers poo in the water and catch all the fish is untrue and borderline offensive. 

Sorry BP, I was using that to highlight where things would end up if we have a substantial fleet of world cruisers stuck in NZ for a few years.

I am wrong, and I withdraw the comment. And I'm not trying to cast aspersions on your ability to fish, but there is no way you'd catch all of the fish ;-)

• Upvote 1

I agree, and I think it would be nice if they were let in. Perhaps after the election, but only if you vote Greens ;-)

But to be the protagonist, realistically, how long do you expect the typical cruiser in this situation is going to need to stay? Fiji is open, so next winter they can head up there (assume Fiji is still open then). Then what? Can you head west from there? Kind of need to get into Aust before crossing the Indian Ocean?

Or do one more season in Fiji, come back to NZ and sell the boat?

How many do you think would give up and sell their boat in NZ, given the current difficulties in moving around the world?

6 hours ago, 44forty said:

I can’t help wonder if any owners will try and pose as a crew member to get in to the country .

How long does the crew & Captain get to stay in New Zealand?

8 hours ago, Fogg said:

The boat depicted in the article....The "Solandge" was birthed next to us before we left San Diego two years ago. They were practicing helicopter landing on the aft deck all day long.... allot of noise. We heard they were trying to get things ready for the owners imminent arrival. The whole thing with these super yachts getting in makes me feel like I got drug thru a knothole backwards, arrrrgh!

With ze Germans - i note that French Polynesia is up to 2,000+ cases of coronavirus at this point, which might indicate why they wanted to leave somewhere they knew they could stay,

With regards to the ultra-rich and their superyachts - while a single superyacht might well spend more than the entire cruising fleet of "normal" rich people that want to get here, they (the super rich) should also be told to politely f-off somewhere else.

Closed is closed is closed, with one rule for all.

16 hours ago, wkavinsky said:

With ze Germans - i note that French Polynesia is up to 2,000+ cases of coronavirus at this point, which might indicate why they wanted to leave somewhere they knew they could stay,

With regards to the ultra-rich and their superyachts - while a single superyacht might well spend more than the entire cruising fleet of "normal" rich people that want to get here, they (the super rich) should also be told to politely f-off somewhere else.

"Closed is closed is closed, with one rule for all."

Haha, what colour is the ocean on your planet?

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, wkavinsky said:

Obviously your one eyed view means you don't rely on these guys been let in for income and been able to pay a mortgage and feed your family.

These guys provide income to allot of businesses which also you probably buy gear from as well for your boat but its these bigger boats that keep these businesses afloat so if they go tits up because these big boats cannot come in where will you get your gear from.