Best AGM battery

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My experience last 12 months tells me that is a recipe for disaster.... I had 4x big expensive AGMs fitted to my boat last year by a well known professional marine electrics company and they made

What type of boat are you building?   Money no object,  no question, Lithium titanate for any purpose.   Otherwise for a cruiser/liveaboard Lithium Iron Phosphate or Lead carbon from a reput

3 hours ago, Steve said:

So if you were building a new boat and the opportunity to start from scratch, what battery system would you have.?

What type of boat are you building?

Money no object,  no question, Lithium titanate for any purpose.   Otherwise for a cruiser/liveaboard Lithium Iron Phosphate or Lead carbon from a reputable manufacturer,  and why I don't say one or the other,  is because it depends on how you will use it.  If you cruise only 3 - 4 weeks a year I would say a quality AGM,  as it will take you a bloody long time to use 400-500 cycles if you system is set up correctly.   If you are a racer and want super light, your boat can be setup as light as your chequebook wants it to be.

Epever has free software for a lot of their chargers. Its a bit ugly but works fine. (just sort out your port designations) The lead is a usb to RS485 lead. Their part number is CC USB RS485 150U.  The software has a user programmable section where you can set pretty much whatever you want. (but there is a set of rules as to the voltage sets)  As mentioned before, look at your batteries spec sheets for the correct voltages.  You can also get a unit from snektek for epever (and other chargers)

It will be something like this... Constant voltage charge. Cycle use 2.4 - 2.45 volts,  Stand by use 2.2 - 2.3 volts .

Yes that is a 2 volt cell.....but most commercial  specs will say (per cell)  (its stand by where the commonly thought of 13.8 volts comes from on AGMs)

Did I mention super conductors (the graphene based type, not the combo battery type) ; )

On 21/09/2020 at 12:24 AM, idlerboat said:

Did I mention super conductors (the graphene based type, not the combo battery type) ; )

Still just a lab  experiment though. There is a product made by IBM, but it's not a true superconductor and there is nothing available as far as a standard vehicle battery that exists yet.

This Lithium Titanate sounds pretty convincing.

Let's say I wanted a 48v electric motor.  (15k?)  Shaft drive, not sail drive.

24 of these little buggers strategically placed, 40ah each (960ah)

Only about $100 each, sneak in a little genset. (10k?)

A charger here, a controller there, a couple of other bits and bobs and you've done it for 30k .

And there's bugger all weight

And it will all charge in no time flat. 

Where have I gone wrong?

The concept of LTO's have been around for awhile and is a great example of the length of time it takes for these new designs to get to market. The first commercial application of an LTO was way back in 2012. Yet it is only now that the technology is really taking a big leap in use.
The downside is that it has a much lower energy density than standard LiPo. 30 to 40% less.
However, that is totally compensated for by it's real big advantage. Charging time. It can have huge current punched back into it and be fully charged in just a few minutes.
In China, there is a Bus that they can fully charge in 10 min. They have nearly 40 of them and the charger is huge at some 400Kw in output. They can charge all the buses at once in just 10min.

I have said before and I fully believe that Hydrogen is the fuel of the future
In fact it is fast heading that way now. A large overseas Truck manufacturer is going to be releasing a range of Trucks into the NZ market very soon. They had been hoping to have the first range here by the end of the year. But I think the C19 issue has messed things up time wise.
They are also going to be installing Fuel refilling facilities through out the Country. There is going to be a range of Truck sizes and they have a range of 500Kms before needing to be re fueled.
They have a Truck in Oz(or if not yet, will be soon) that is capable of hauling 500tonne of road train. That is pretty impressive.
So maybe this could be a better choice than a battery Steve.
The Fuel Cell turns the Hydrogen directly into Electrical energy to power the electric motors.
Of course the down side is that I can't see Hydrogen being supplied Dockside for a while yet.

6 minutes ago, wheels said:

The concept of LTO's have been around for awhile and is a great example of the length of time it takes for these new designs to get to market. The first commercial application of an LTO was way back in 2012. Yet it is only now that the technology is really taking a big leap in use.
The downside is that it has a much lower energy density than standard LiPo. 30 to 40% less.
However, that is totally compensated for by it's real big advantage. Charging time. It can have huge current punched back into it and be fully charged in just a few minutes.
In China, there is a Bus that they can fully charge in 10 min. They have nearly 40 of them and the charger is huge at some 400Kw in output. They can charge all the buses at once in just 10min.

So, in short, my setup will work.  And if you're just doing twilite racing or even overnighting you may never turn the genset on.  Just plug it back in when you get to the marina.

So a motor using say 10kw cruising will obviously drain the batteries.  If you had a little panda genset, say 5kw, it's not going to keep up right? So forget about motoring back from Russell after the Coastal. But for nearly everything else?  Sounds like a winner.