Cold Front Today

1 hour ago, darkside said:

I guess that's one of the reasons trucks aren't allowed on the clip ons

that was due to loadings on the clip ons, not the blow over risk. I notice these days plenty of trucks use the clip ons.

Neither the original bridge nor the clip ons were designed for trucks up to 50t 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What complicates the matter is that strut is a stressed member. Fabricating a bit of steel is the easy bit, getting it in there is somewhat harder Imagine trying to replace a spreader, and you ha

Jeez why ask them when they could just get you guys to do the job.  Personally I would prefer the job to be done properly rather than the quickest patch up fix with Cheapest Chinese Steel and Cut Corn

before the gvt and council bashing gets started how about moving this to tiny talk

Posted Images

4 hours ago, darkside said:

I guess that's one of the reasons trucks aren't allowed on the clip ons

Trucks/buses can you use clip ons, They were banned while rust repair work was carried out,

• Mid-June 2009: trucks were allowed back onto lane 2 of the clip-on as strengthening work progresses
  •  

Here's a screenshot of the Predict Wind observation graph for the RNZYS station. Shows gust of just over 50 knots just before noon. I don't sail the area often, but gusts of this strength are not that unusual for the location?? Surprised there isn't a high wind warning system on the bridge to prevent this from occurring??

gust.jpg

The clip ons go direct to the bridge piles, they are separate structures.

In saying that, they needed a load of work to address cyclic fatigue. That was when trucks were banned from them. I understand they were welding / re-welding a load of structure in the internal clip on cavities (box girder thingees).

13 hours ago, Fish said:

The fact that these trucks rolled very close to where that micro burst nailed Westhaven, laid flat a super yacht, sunk some boats and made a cat flip and jump the pier is interesting. I'm starting to wonder if there is something unique about the geography there that creates down bursts. Wind accelerating off the land, or channeling between the land forms either side of the harbour bridge.

I live out west and was working from home on Friday. A wee while prior to the harbour bridge incident an intense front came through my place. It was already 20-30, but for a few minutes blew much more - like double or above. I'd say its not the geography around westhaven or the bridge, it was just a particularly intense front, which Auckland has always had come through. Unlucky that the trucks on the bridge happened to be there as it hit. 

I wonder if NZTA have actually started moving on the repair. If it is only the strut to be replaced, then a concerted effort working around the clock in fab shops (might need to find some imperial tape measures😄 )and installation could see the fix in place in 10-14 days. NZTA's forecast of 5 weeks plus says either they are incapable of moving quickly or there is more damage than published