Noelex 22 centreboard cable snapped

Hi all, 

While dropping the centreboard yesterday the  cable snapped on my noelex 22.

Firstly, I'm sailing back to the trailer tomorrow and was wondering if I'll be able to get the boat back on the trailer. Can anyone give me any tips?

Secondly, I need to replace the cable. Is this best done on the trailer or on the water? Is there any information or there on how to best do this?

Thanks

Ian

This YouTube clip may help. 

It may be too later but if you look at episode 85 from the middle of it you’ll see how he handled the same problem with a swing keel.- it looked easy  

Hi all, we managed to get it on the trailer. The cable snapped near the centreboard (which is a swing keel). That left me quite a bit of wire attached to the winch. I pulled the wire out and around the pulley (at the far end of the housing) then over the centreboard housing support which is approximately at the middle top of the centreboard housing. From there I dropped the wire down and tied it around the chain in a fisherman style knot. This allowed us to wind the cable from the winch mechanism raising the centre board maybe halfway. from there I used the trailer winch to pull it up onto the trailer and the centreboard retracted fully into the housing. Thank you all for your comments... I will be much more proactive with maintenance from now on ☺️

A different thing happened to my friend's Noelex.  The centre bolt broke, which left the centreboard swinging beneath the boat on the cable!

I think they sailed in (unsteadily) into the shallows then tipped the boat on it's side and pushed the centreboard in then lashed it.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, ex Elly said:

A different thing happened to my friend's Noelex.  The centre bolt broke, which left the centreboard swinging beneath the boat on the cable!

I think they sailed in (unsteadily) into the shallows then tipped the boat on it's side and pushed the centreboard in then lashed it.

It's one hell of a heavy centreboard. Sounds like I got off lightly ☺️