Marine Insurance

Hi can anyone recommend best insurance company for small ageing in yachts? I have a Alan Wright tracker, its a wooden one, in excellent condition, it is 40 years okd and kept on a swing mooring. I am with vero since 2017 but every year they have been upping the premium and or adding more exclusions or raising my excess, recently they have changed the policy from agreed value to market value.  They upped my excess to 2k for any loss because the boat is on a swing mooring, even if that loss has nothing to do with it being on a swing mooring, i.e a loss incurred whilst cruising elsewhere. 

I am looking for the best value insurance to cover me for

1) theft or loss or damage to any of the boats chatels

2) loss to the vessel coming of the mooring or other damage whilst crusing

3) third party liability 

can anyone recommend a good company

cheers   

I've just had a surprisingly great experience (not a phrase often associated with insurance companies) with Pantaenius. Their nearest office is AUS but they cover NZ and whole of Asia and when I presented them with a complex situation including a boat I own but have never even seen being delivered by crew to a shipping terminal in Asia and then brought to NZ as cargo etc etc... they totally took it in their stride and offered me cover for the same rate I was paying in NZ. Also, they have a relatively small office so when you call them you speak to one of the same 2-3 people each time so they get to know you. Perfect!

https://www.pantaenius.com/au-en/

PANTAENIUS Australia Pty Ltd.
33/6 Jubilee Avenue
Warriewood, NSW 2102
Australia

Tel: +61 2 99361670

info@pantaenius.com.au

32 minutes ago, Fogg said:

I've just had a surprisingly great experience (not a phrase often associated with insurance companies) with Pantaenius. Their nearest office is AUS but they cover NZ and whole of Asia and when I presented them with a complex situation including a boat I own but have never even seen being delivered by crew to a shipping terminal in Asia and then brought to NZ as cargo etc etc... they totally took it in their stride and offered me cover for the same rate I was paying in NZ. Also, they have a relatively small office so when you call them you speak to one of the same 2-3 people each time so they get to know you. Perfect!

https://www.pantaenius.com/au-en/

PANTAENIUS Australia Pty Ltd.
33/6 Jubilee Avenue
Warriewood, NSW 2102
Australia

Tel: +61 2 99361670

info@pantaenius.com.au

Can’t say I had the same experience when it came to claim time 

I agree I would have preferred to stick with a local broker and / or insurer but when I presented my non-standard scenario to them it was clearly going to be a challenge and take a long time. Whereas Pantaenius gave me an immediate "Yes we can do that". So I had no option really. And so if Traction is running out of options with his 40yr old boat on a swinging mooring then it might be worth asking if they can help?

Newly insured our 1974 Spencer through Mariner Insurance.  Wasn't cheap - around 6% of insured value with $500 excess...  

3rd party only was not an option (they wouldn't do it) and the excess increase to $1000 only made a few dollars difference in the premium.

AMI is closed to new policy-holders.  Tried several others in a limited amount of time during the first Level 3 period in May - Mariner were the only ones who gave a positive response.

2 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Newly insured our 1974 Spencer through Mariner Insurance.  Wasn't cheap - around 6% of insured value with $500 excess...  

3rd party only was not an option (they wouldn't do it) and the excess increase to $1000 only made a few dollars difference in the premium.

AMI is closed to new policy-holders.  Tried several others in a limited amount of time during the first Level 3 period in May - Mariner were the only ones who gave a positive response.

took my policy out in May no issues with AMI 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 4/10/2020 at 10:51 PM, Traction said:

Hi can anyone recommend best insurance company for small ageing in yachts? I have a Alan Wright tracker, its a wooden one, in excellent condition, it is 40 years okd and kept on a swing mooring. I am with vero since 2017 but every year they have been upping the premium and or adding more exclusions or raising my excess, recently they have changed the policy from agreed value to market value.  They upped my excess to 2k for any loss because the boat is on a swing mooring, even if that loss has nothing to do with it being on a swing mooring, i.e a loss incurred whilst cruising elsewhere. 

I am looking for the best value insurance to cover me for

1) theft or loss or damage to any of the boats chatels

2) loss to the vessel coming of the mooring or other damage whilst crusing

3) third party liability 

can anyone recommend a good company

cheers   

Do you have the Tracker called Traction? It was my father's boat. If you're up for selling her can you let me know somehow? I think he'd be very keen to buy her back, he's looking at one at the moment, but it won't be as nice inside as Traction, because the yacht was owned originally by a Cabinet maker.  Cheers, Angie 

Angie

New Members