fairleads for mooring lines

We got back from our little cruise around Wiaheke over the weekend and had a bit of a fright when we went to moor on our poles in the Wairoa River (Clevedon).

The mooring line at the bow had been chaffing on the bottom (deck) bracket of the furler and it had been chomped through about halfway…

The bow is pretty crowded with (front to back) anchor and bracket, furler deck fitting, mooring cleat and then anchor winch, all in a line on the centerline of the deck.  We have been running a single mooring line from the pole across all of this to the cleat (sheepish look at the floor as the dumb-ness of this sinks in).

As a stickplaster fix, we fitted a length of PE piping over hte mooring line at the chaffe point.  I slept ok last night, but I am worried about the medium term!

We obviously need to move the mooring line away from the mess of various abrasion hazards, so I am thinking a fairlead on or in the toerail each side of the mooring cleat.  We would then go to a two-line mooring set-up ie port and starboard lines.

Stepping Out is 10m, around 3.75 ton displacement according to numbers carved into her.  The Wairoa flows pretty strongly on the tide, possibly 2-3kt.

I’m looking for advice – how substantial should I go on the hardware?  Should the failead be sunk or cut into the toe rail? Links to appropriate equipment would be appreciated!

A pair of those simple little now way old school fairleads would do. Maybe countersink then in to stop sheets catching etc.

Cheap, simple yet highly effective and will never run out of battery. When you put the new ropes on fit 300m of Chafe-Pro or similar on them. New smooth leads and added chafe protection, done...and done for not a lot of cost.

images1.jpg.96870344e48a096b602896187efac092.jpg

They are available around town and should be easy to fit. Watch for sizing, there are options so you may want to have a suss to get the best fit.

I'd make sure you can fit a 20mm rope in them. While up the river 16 is fine if the boat goes elsewhere you may find it needs 20mm.

20 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Thanks KM - I was hoping you'd look in.

Also, your answer confirms what I was thinking, but the estimate of load and forces and resulting sizing of items eludes me so I really appreciate your expert advice.

With mooring lines we are constantly saying to people 'Yes today that 12mm would be fine for your 50fter but it is now 3am and cyclone Bitchface is rattling the windows of your house and will be for the next 40 hours, are you happy with that 12mm now?' the response is always 'Ahh..good point and No'.

So like moorings, marina/pile lines are the size they are to give lots of redundancy and time, 2 things that will keep your boat where you hope it stays a lot longer.

I had my baby boat in a very safe corner of a marina...I still used 20mm ropes that have the strength to lift 3 of the boats out at the same time. I sleep real goodly ;)

13 hours ago, idlerboat said:

The canvass and rubber "flat" fire hose makes excellent super anti chafe tubes.

The firehose is awesome even if a little unwieldly in some applications. We use a lot of a product called Chafe-Pro, a US made tubular anti-chafe product.  Not cheap but very nice to use and as you only need short lengths the price is worth it.

Nice work Aard.

Roll the stands a little more as you tuck them and go one more tuck. If you roll the stands you won't have get that lumpyness in the splice.  The the on the right gets lost of points and is far superior to many, most out there, good on ya.

One more tuck to comply with BS...not that the BS exists any longer but it is a good well proven standard to use on older school strings like laid nylon and polyester.

As a CV .... I am in the market for another splicer ;)

13 hours ago, It Got said:

One more tuck to comply with BS...not that the BS exists any longer but it is a good well proven standard to use on older school strings like laid nylon and polyester.

Good thing I haven't cut the tails yet eh!

Its too bloody hard on the hands for full time work for an old fella, but good fun as an amateur.  I've got to put a mid-line eye in one of them so that will be a real test!

Mounting blocks cut out of some unidentified hardwood, fairleads procured to take 18mm lines, now the weekend to fit them.

I'm proposing to shape, then epoxy glue and screw the blocks to the deck and toerail inside, then cove, then paint   feel free to correct me.

It's freaking hard work this sailing lark...

16027947550378587374482065153757.jpg

Edited by aardvarkash10
Added image