Waihape

waihape-04361.jpg?w=736&h=&zoom=2

There's something really quite cool about this boat. Anyone know if there are any lines drawings? I mean, I know she was designed by carving a half model and then sawing it up, but wondered if anyone anywhere might have documented it a bit better than that. Pic from the Waitemata Woodies page.

6 hours ago, Sabre said:

I find it hard to believe that the same man that built something as beautiful as Ngataki also built that!

Well, Ngataki has a place in history. But when you look with a critical eye, I don't think she's altogether that beautiful. The gaff rig surely helps.

6 hours ago, Tamure said:

It's actually pretty sweet

Indeed. I think that it's quite an achievement and miles ahead of her time in terms of her styling. The hull seems incredibly voluminous, and there appears to be plenty of forward buoyancy, no doubt good to help her rise to the seas. The forefoot might be a little deep to take full advantage of that in a  following sea, though. The very flat run aft. Might she have planed downwind with a bit of a blow up her freckle? She was likely built to a higher standard that Ngataki, and the hull form appears more sophisticated.

From Johnny having sailed her all over the Pacific (is my understanding) she was apparently relatively sea worthy. 

13 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

I was driving out Okaihau way a week or so ago and saw Waihape (at least I think it was her) on a farm. Perhaps awaiting restoration??

Can it be seen from the road? 

1 hour ago, BNG said:

She looks much more balanced in her original ketch setup. Nice early big volume cruiser.

waihape.jpg

Hah just perusing her vitals refrigeration for 300lbs of meat fuel 500 gallons fresh water 500 gallons 16hp Lister swinging a 24x24 prop with a auxiliary Lister 8hp driving another prop or a 4kva generator both engines ran through a 20 gallon fresh water tank before exiting to a keel cooler for hot water shower.

Waihape was no ordinary yacht designed and built by no ordinary character.

Just now, Priscilla II said:

Hah just perusing her vitals refrigeration for 300lbs of meat fuel 500 gallons fresh water 500 gallons 16hp Lister swinging a 24x24 prop with a auxiliary Lister 8hp driving another prop or a 4kva generator both engines ran through a 20 gallon fresh water tank before exiting to a keel cooler for hot water shower.

Waihape was no ordinary yacht designed and built by no ordinary sailor.