Jordan Rescued

presumably you only abandoned the yacht for the liferaft when the rescue ship had arrived?

and did you issue a mayday via radio or simply activate your EPIRB or both?

Welcome Back Jordan! Mate... What an adventure.. You've been through more in your teens than most of us in a lifetime.. Better get an article written up for Boating Mag. I'm sure a lot of people will be very interested to hear the details of how you sent your Mayday, why the raft failed etc etc..

Good to mention the name of the Ship and any crew names on the ship seeing as they looked after you so well. Good on them.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good little write up as well mate. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yes I read the article

It was unsteerable in the conditions they had - So one would think why not put some sort of sea anchor off the bow and wait it out, Was that attempted ?? I dunno, just thinlking out load

There must have been more wrong with the boat than being rudder less , Otherwise why get off ???

Im sure all will be revealled and the experience question wont have to be asked

L. D.

It's good to see that everyone got off safely. I'm sure Jordan will have a lifetime worth of story telling about this adventure.

From those that have far more experience, I would be interested to hear what other options could have been considered in this scenario (given 20/20 hindsight). For example, would it have been practical to drop the jammed rudder out and proceed under temporary steering?

I think there could be some good learning outs of this little misadventure.

Put it like this:

If a rescue were not available for whatever reason, what next?

We discussed this at home and agreed that it would be necessary to drop the old rudder, which may have meant putting someone over the side. This would be a dangerous thing to do (very).

Very interesting posts coming through here. If i recall correctly Second Life the big Senior 12 lost its rudder betweeen Noumea and Australia and they Waited it out and got towed for Days into Australia by a Ocean Going Tug.

Interesting to see where the Beneteau will wash up... Or was it scuttled when abandoning?

Yes - Great everyone is Ok

Dropping the rudder at sea could do more harm than good.

Once the rudder stock clears the top bearing on the way down, The stock is then held in one place (The Bottom Bearing) and can easily jam and rip a hole in the hull at that point. esp. if its a strong heavy stainless stock

In hnidsight from someone who wasnt there and all wrapped up warm in bed that night -

Advise Taupo Maritime of the situation or who ever

Maybe going for a sea anchor over the bow and waiting for daylight to sus the scene, Do what they did in regards to jury steering once the conditions died down -

The sea conditions play a major part in a succesful jury rudder

Next thing youre on your way home - slowly .. Just gotta remember No matter how long its taking, You always get there

Now that was easy coming from someone who wasnt there, At home warm and dry

Hitting the raft and ending up swimming 100 mtrs to a ship, Just gotta say youre all very lucky.

Staying on board the yacht may have been a cooler idea,

Hindsight Rules

L. D.

He said they were 32 hours playing with trying to steer it before pulling the plug, so I had to swallow my "jumped too soon" comment.

The interesting thing now is - was there a solution that would have made it steerable, that we can all learn.

Agree dropping the rudder is highly suss, but if it was jammed and negating other efforts to steer?????...........................

It sounded like the sea state was the main reason the jury steering attempts didnt work - Those same methods would probly work in calmer seas,

Im not trying to be a pain in the ass with all this, just wondering "What If"

L. D.

I can only applaud them for abandoning the boat, that has got to be one of the hardest decisions to make and it seems that it was well thought out. Could it have been saved? Maybe. But we weren't there so can't say whether we'd make a different call.

I would be very interested to hear the why/how of the bottom falling out of the liferaft, especially since it's not something you pull out until its needed.

On a different note.... If Jordan had stepped on board the ship

wearing Ugg Boots, would they have tossed him back?

According to J, they were only making 0.5 knot headway at best and had lost an unquantified number of spare fuel and water canisters overboard. They would have most likely run out of supplies before making it to port.

I figured they were using the life raft as a tender to get from the stricken yacht to the rescue ship and hence didn't abandon to a life raft as such (just as well!).

We are required to demonstrate an alternate effective steering arrangement for Cat 3 and above. Is there one that works with a rudder jam?

"applaud them for abandoning the boat" Really ?

If someone had drowned on the swim to the ship you would have already applauded the desision to get off - Thats not good

---------------------

Making 1.5 kts in the direction away from home and .05 semi towards home. Does that mean they did have steerage but not in the direction they wanted ????

-------------------

As was said earlier, What if help wasnt available, Like a week away - Im sure they wouldnt have hit the raft or just sat there waiting to die -

Or would they ??

L. D.

JH said some of the rudder broke off but there was still enough left flopping about to prevent other ways of steering.I would have tried to put a rope around what was left of the rudder and try to steer by yanking port or starbord.

And I would have stopped trying to go to NZ.I would have tried to work the boat back to the tropics.

And if I got calmer conditions I would have appealed to any good samaritan yacht to come by and take off the crew who couldnt hack it.

Not enough food for emergencies = bad planning.

Sounds like the whole crew couldnt hack it

Jumping ship cause you lost the rudder and couldnt steer,

Putting lives at risk trying a ship transfer in those conditions

What a friggin joke

There has to be more to it, Please, someone spare me and post the facts

LOL

L. D.

Archived