Jordan Rescued

This from a bloke who owns a concrete cyclone. :think:

You forgot the "proof" on the end TL :wink:

Just because i own one, doesn't mean i haven't played in others. And that was one of the big reasons why we went for one.

You had to see to believe where I put my boat into yesterday and the conditions I was in while doing it, to drop of 7 people. Then had to get back out again. Would never of dreamed of atempting that in one of those bendyboats. It was hard enough as it was, but the big keel, 26Tonnes, massive rudder and good Hp all worked in giving me some great control in a very tricky situation.

This from a bloke who owns a concrete cyclone. :think:

You forgot the "proof" on the end TL :wink:

Just because i own one, doesn't mean i haven't played in others. And that was one of the big reasons why we went for one.

You had to see to believe where I put my boat into yesterday and the conditions I was in while doing it, to drop of 7 people. Then had to get back out again. Would never of dreamed of atempting that in one of those bendyboats. It was hard enough as it was, but the big keel, 26Tonnes, massive rudder and good Hp all worked in giving me some great control in a very tricky situation.

Touche.

I was thinking Cyclone, as in slow moving depression :wink:

and whats this talk of horsepower?! its eat-sleep-sail, not eat-sleep-start the donk up.

I would like to see you try and sail in and out of where I was. I was thinking for a mo, ooops, about to have a "wheels experience", but got back out of trouble by the skin of my teath. One of those in hindsight situations of I should not really have done that. But oh well. Done it, got away with it.

One of those in hindsight situations of I should not really have done that. But oh well. Done it, got away with it.

don't the aero guys have a saying, any landing you can walk away from is a good one, or something like that :thumbup:

If you don't try you will never know what can be done.

We have an emergency steering system, probably similar to many others using the spinnaker pole and large GRP panel witch make a searing orr. It wasn't until the cat 3 inspector say have you tried it that we gave it a go, it didn't work using it like a rudder, but of you had the boat balanced you could stick it out the side and use it like a brake, it was ok

I like the idea of a transom hung rudder as a back up :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi Everybody,

I was one of the other crew on the yacht at the time. I can say with absolute certainty that we were on a boat which was well provisioned and it's owner has spent a lot of time and money getting it ready for these voyages. We had 2 other crew on board who have a lot of offshore miles between them, and we all worked our hardest to get the boat sailing with no rudder. We spent 2 days trying to build various systems to steer with, but no matter what we did we ended up going around in circles. It was far too dangerous to swim under the boat to do anything with the rudder in those conditions. I know I dont fancy being hit on the head by ten tons of yacht.

If there had been light winds and small waves, our jury rudder probably would have worked, but unfortunately we were getting 30 knots and 4 - 6 metre waves. Also it would never have lasted the hundreds of miles to NZ or back to Fiji. Also Fiji has no coastgaurd and getting in past the reefs with no rudder would be very dangerous. We did not abandon ship until the container ship arrived to help us, and using the liferaft to transfer to the ship was thier idea, not ours.

At least if I break a rudder on my proa I can just slide the other one out and into the place of the broken one. :thumbup:

The TV3 clip was excellent - clearly see the bottom of the raft absent from duty.

It looked like the weather had improved a lot by pick up time onto the ship.

Now 1 yacht looking for a new home :clap:

The TV3 clip was excellent - clearly see the bottom of the raft absent from duty.

nope, there was still a good 4m swell running. and it got much worse over the next few days. we were doing 18 and the ship hit a wave and literally stopped. it must have been a 7 or 8er

nope, there was still a good 4m swell running. and it got much worse over the next few days. we were doing 18 and the ship hit a wave and literally stopped. it must have been a 7 or 8er

One of those in hindsight situations of I should not really have done that. But oh well. Done it, got away with it.

don't the aero guys have a saying, any landing you can walk away from is a good one, or something like that :thumbup:

A landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

A landing you where can use the aeroplane again is a great landing.

Archived