Jump to content

New Zealand cannabis referendum, Yes or No


Recommended Posts

The vote is not do we legalise having a joint, it is 'Do we make this bill that sets out the ins and outs of how it will work if we enact it into law'

I want to tick yes but having read the Bill I think it is badly written, full of holes and leave people like me to decided what the laws means which inevitably will end up getting me fucked over by some officious cock or more likely a hen womble and lawyers rich.

I bet 95% + of those who ticked a box did not read the bill. I think the technical name for them is dickheads.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do...

If someone has a problem with drugs ( or alcohol or gambling......) they belong in the health system  ot jail.

No vote here . Never touched the stuff. Don't care if you do . Rum in vast quantities though . I wouldn't vote to legalise rum either if it wasn't already legal. You don't unleash things on the public

Posted Images

2 hours ago, It Got said:

The vote is not do we legalise having a joint, it is 'Do we make this bill that sets out the ins and outs of how it will work if we enact it into law'

I want to tick yes but having read the Bill I think it is badly written, full of holes and leave people like me to decided what the laws means which inevitably will end up getting me fucked over by some officious cock or more likely a hen womble and lawyers rich.

I bet 95% + of those who ticked a box did not read the bill. I think the technical name for them is dickheads.

 

 

Crikey KM are you actually voting after all your lengthy anti voting diatribes and complaints ain’t that a bit rich to bang on about dickheads.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think It Got may need to take a puff and chill out.

I'll vote yes, just on the basis of reducing wasted time in the criminal justice system. Weed has harm, and I personally don't like it, but the harm is magnified buy the current laws around it and people gaining criminal records for something equivalent as having a bottle of rum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not against an adult having a puff at home and a plant in their backyard, but i fear that loosening the control on cannabis and the associated easing availability to young people and will have a serious impact on mental well-being.

I've witnessed first hand a young, bright lad engage in moderate use as a teen and whom now suffers severe psychosis and schizophrenia to the point where his family cant let him know where they live for fear of their lives. One moment he can be and engaging, polite adult, the next moment a knife welding, paranoid menace.

If you're interested in reading about the link between cannabis use in the young and psychosis, here's a good start

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/teens-who-smoke-pot-at-risk-for-later-schizophrenia-psychosis-201103071676

"In one recent study that followed nearly 2,000 teenagers as they became young adults, young people who smoked marijuana at least five times were twice as likely to have developed psychosis over the next 10 years as those who didn’t smoke pot."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tuffyluffy said:

I'm not against an adult having a puff at home and a plant in their backyard, but i fear that loosening the control on cannabis and the associated easing availability to young people and will have a serious impact on mental well-being.

I've witnessed first hand a young, bright lad engage in moderate use as a teen and whom now suffers severe psychosis and schizophrenia to the point where his family cant let him know where they live for fear of their lives. One moment he can be and engaging, polite adult, the next moment a knife welding, paranoid menace.

If you're interested in reading about the link between cannabis use in the young and psychosis, here's a good start

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/teens-who-smoke-pot-at-risk-for-later-schizophrenia-psychosis-201103071676

 

This doesn't loosen control, it enhances it.

Almost be definition you cannot control an illegal substance that is used by 10% of the population annually.  The bill proposes controls that address your specific concern, as well as others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

This doesn't loosen control, it enhances it.

Almost be definition you cannot control an illegal substance that is used by 10% of the population annually.  The bill proposes controls that address your specific concern, as well as others.

Perhaps a poor choice of words and i could argue the point, but do you see cannabis use in 10 - 25yo's increasing or decreasing as a result of this legislation passing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tuffyluffy said:

Perhaps a poor choice of words and i could argue the point, but do you see cannabis use in 10 - 25yo's increasing or decreasing as a result of this legislation passing?

It doesn't matter what I think - what matters is the facts.

https://www.drugpolicy.org/does-marijuana-legalization-lead-increased-use

https://www.nursingcenter.com/journalarticle?Article_ID=4346123&Journal_ID=54030&Issue_ID=4346085

Based on the research, I would anticipate that one-off use would increase, and that habitual use would be steady or decrease slightly.

A number of the negative effects noted in the studies seem ot arise from an increase in potency - the market is providing stronger cannabis.  The Bill allows for this by setting a maximum potency.

There is no doubt that a small number of people will be negatively affected by this law.  That has to be balanced against the number of people who have a nett positive outcome eg have no criminal record, don't have to mix with criminals to source cannabis etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I wouldn't call those two links "fact" by any measure.

Do you have anything better?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...