New Zealand cannabis referendum, Yes or No

20 minutes ago, tuffyluffy said:

I wouldn't call those two links "fact" by any measure.

Do you have anything better?

They were provided as a start point - I'm pretty sure you can google, I'm not your research assistant.

The research findings are pretty consistant worldwide.  They identify that useage overall does not dramatically increase, heavy users experience less crime than before and lower risk from adulterated product, those under 20 tend to be better informed about risks and experience a slight reduction in habitual and/or hazardous use (broadly same thing happens with alcohol and tobacco).  Risks include a potency war, and increased risk to those who already have a predeliction to psychosis and are at risk because cannabis either worsens their condition or is overused to self-medicate (both of which happen already as you have noted). 

Even a cursory glance at the Bill shows these are all matters that have been identified as needing legislative or regulatory responses and these are provided for in the Bill.

At a society level (as against individual) violent crime decreases, and police and judicial time can be reallocated or reduced.  There is no broadly discernable health and safety at work change either positive or negative.  There is no clear evidence yet that cannabis legalisation has increased motor vehicle crashes, however accidents where people test positive for THC (association rather than causation) have increased. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do...

If someone has a problem with drugs ( or alcohol or gambling......) they belong in the health system  ot jail.

No vote here . Never touched the stuff. Don't care if you do . Rum in vast quantities though . I wouldn't vote to legalise rum either if it wasn't already legal. You don't unleash things on the public

16 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

If someone has a problem with drugs ( or alcohol or gambling......) they belong in the health system  ot jail.

Agree BP.  I also agree with Tuffy - there is a real risk to people who have pre-existing mental health problems.  However, those risks already exist especially when people self-medicate, and are deepened by the person having to deal in the grey market to meet what they see as thier treatment needs.

The fix to this is not to prohibit cannabis - the fix is to provide better mental health treatment.

Did the vote thing today and "NO" to cannibis. Under our Health and Safety(like most work places) drug/alcohol free.  Now the issue(and have asked my employer)is,smoke on Saturday night and the effects gone by Monday.But if one is tested before work Monday morning and the THC?? will show in their system,I believe can last 6 weeks?so would the individual be stood down for 6 weeks??

3 hours ago, tuffyluffy said:

"In one recent study that followed nearly 2,000 teenagers as they became young adults, young people who smoked marijuana at least five times were twice as likely to have developed psychosis over the next 10 years as those who didn’t smoke pot."

What has that got to do with legalisation? 

The very people you are concerned about are not only suffering psychosis but are also criminalised by the current situation, the proposed bill is there to help such people in more ways than one.

3 hours ago, tuffyluffy said:

wouldn't call those two links "fact" by any measure.

Do you have anything better?

"So far, this research shows only an association between smoking pot and developing psychosis or schizophrenia later on. That’s not the same thing as saying that marijuana causes psychosis."

From your own links, hardly supporting your proposition scientifically is it? Also all the studies you link do not differentiate between people using cannabis legally or illegally. You are making too many assumptions to support your own beliefs to start asking others for better evidence.

46 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Did the vote thing today and "NO" to cannibis. Under our Health and Safety(like most work places) drug/alcohol free.  Now the issue(and have asked my employer)is,smoke on Saturday night and the effects gone by Monday.But if one is tested before work Monday morning and the THC?? will show in their system,I believe can last 6 weeks?so would the individual be stood down for 6 weeks??

Canada's armed forces have a policy on it.  Stepped "last time of use" periods depending on your next assignment.  Times range from 8 hours to 28 days iirc depending on the risk profile of your next duty.  If its good enough for an army, it should be good enough for anyone else.

4 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Canada's armed forces have a policy on it.  Stepped "last time of use" periods depending on your next assignment.  Times range from 8 hours to 28 days iirc depending on the risk profile of your next duty.  If its good enough for an army, it should be good enough for anyone else.

Transport industry??

52 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

What has that got to do with legalisation? 

The very people you are concerned about are not only suffering psychosis but are also criminalised by the current situation, the proposed bill is there to help such people in more ways than one.

"So far, this research shows only an association between smoking pot and developing psychosis or schizophrenia later on. That’s not the same thing as saying that marijuana causes psychosis."

From your own links, hardly supporting your proposition scientifically is it? Also all the studies you link do not differentiate between people using cannabis legally or illegally. You are making too many assumptions to support your own beliefs to start asking others for better evidence.

Perhaps you should re-read what I said but use both eyes this time?