New Zealand cannabis referendum, Yes or No

yup - its a time thing.  I don't beleive its a time thing with oldies dying off - most of the oldies I discussed with were voting yes.  This includes my 82 yo teetotal religiously conservative mother.

More, its the wider population having a series of ongoing conversations about the real hazards and risks of status quo vs change.

It was clear, even on this very minor forum, that even those who claimed to have read the bill did not understand the steps before enactment and the various safeguards and regulatory protections that were to be in place.   Same occured with the youth-in-asia  bill.  Its natural for many to catastrophise.

That will inform whoever takes it all on next time and the education and backgrounding will no doubt be better, clearer and more certain.

In the meantime, the will of the people is not subverted by legislative decriminalisation - I expect that's next.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do...

If someone has a problem with drugs ( or alcohol or gambling......) they belong in the health system  ot jail.

No vote here . Never touched the stuff. Don't care if you do . Rum in vast quantities though . I wouldn't vote to legalise rum either if it wasn't already legal. You don't unleash things on the public

Posted Images

Smith said cheap, high quality cannabis grown in places such as Thailand and Colombia meant New Zealand medical cannabis companies didn't stand a chance.

“Australia has had medical cannabis for five years and even after $50m of investment not one has made a cent.

“It’s all over for medical cannabis companies in New Zealand – you’re all f...ed boys, it’s over.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300147412/wolf-of-weed-street-hit-with-70k-costs-judgment-after-destructive-and-cavalier-behaviour-in-court

On 1/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, erice said:

I totally disagree with drug testing to whether it is safe or not.You take the pills you take the risk.You die how sad never mind lesson learnt!

36 minutes ago, harrytom said:

I totally disagree with drug testing to whether it is safe or not.You take the pills you take the risk.You die how sad never mind lesson learnt!

yes, well following that logic lets abandon traffic lights and stop signs.  I mean, give way to the right ffs.  Surely thats enough, anyone stupid enough to not undertstand that doesn't deserve to live.

Just so we are clear, drug testng in this context is not only a health service but also a consumer rights service. It is designed to discourage people from using unknown and potentially dangerous substances.  It can and does identifiy poorly manufactured as well as fraudulent substances - some benign, others less so.

So many morally indignant people forget what it was to be young.  Uninformed risk-taking behaviour is a natural part of being a teeenager - its built in.  As adults (most of us) its incumbant on us to reduce the risk, because we cannot as easily change the genetically programmed behaviour.

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Would you still think that if it was your wife/kid/s/grandkid/s who 'learnt the hard way'?

Edit - I actually find that one human could think that about another human quite mindblowing.

Edited by muzled
2 hours ago, muzled said:

Would you still think that if it was your wife/kid/s/grandkid/s who 'learnt the hard way'?

Edit - I actually find that one human could think that about another human quite mindblowing.

Hopefully I brought the my Family up in such away not to try or get involved in drugs. Knew I would alone voice but I do not care.

The message of bring your drugs here for testing is sending out the wrong message,it says to me.Drugs are fine as long as they manufactured correctly you will be safe.

Wrong turn up at a concert or anywhere they will be confiscated. End of story.

8 hours ago, harrytom said:

Hopefully I brought the my Family up in such away not to try or get involved in drugs. Knew I would alone voice but I do not care.

The message of bring your drugs here for testing is sending out the wrong message,it says to me.Drugs are fine as long as they manufactured correctly you will be safe.

Wrong turn up at a concert or anywhere they will be confiscated. End of story.

This is the approach of the religious conservative - a blind  belief in personal responsiblity blessed by a higher moral authority as the only acceptable solution.

For the religious conservative, it leads to outcomes including higher levels of teen pregnancy, STDs and abortion, ironically among families where the parents have "brought their family up in such a way as to not" take risky sexual behaviour.

Claiming abstenence and ignorance as the only acceptable solution for drugs or sex is denial of science, regardless of how you frame it.

10 hours ago, harrytom said:

Drugs are fine, if they are manufactured correctly.

The vast majority of harm from drugs is when they are cut with something else, and dose control. Everyone is happy to take paracetamol, which is manufactured in a controlled environment and has a standard dose. It still causes harm to the body.

Ecstasy is the best example. There is no violence associated with E use. All everyone wants to do is dance and hug each other. All the health risks are around pills cut with speed / P, or random doses. Yes, it can have adverse mental health effects. So does alcohol. 

It is about harm reduction. Sweeping things under the carpet doesn't make it go away. Education is far better to address the personal harm issues. Keeping drug supply in the hands of gangs, manufacturing with dodgy ingredients and no quality control is just dangerous. Make it the same as paracetamol. Put the same controls in place to prevent overdoses, and education of the implications of taking it.