Judith Collins: "Obesity is a personal choice"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the ones I know, they are working two tenuous minimum wage jobs, living in a house that earns more than they do each year.  The couple pass like ships in the night - he works nightshift and runs a

Personal choice.  This is about more than just obesity. This hits at health measures to curb obesity, it means they consider drug addiction also a personal choice, it puts the blame for poverty firmly

Generally speaking, sh*t quality food is cheaper than fresh fruit and vegetables. People gotta eat. Calories are cheap.

Posted Images

This.  Exactly.

However, they do get working for families tax credits and probably accomodation supplement.  You would think that addresses it all eh?

Nope.

The accomodation supplement doesn't increase proportional to rental market changes.  Consequently it slowly falls behind.  In any case, the effect of it is to increase rents and make property more expensive.  It's a hugely regressive and destructive payment.

Since they are renting, they are constantly at the whim of the landlord.  The rent goes  up and they have little or no bargaining power in that.  There only option is to move which is a highly disruptive and expensive exercise.  The property gets sold, they have to move.  Often to a different area, meaning different schools and increased additional cost.

W4F payments help, there is no doubt.  But the reality of teenagers is that they consume dollars ferociously.  The cost to feed a male teen is calculated as about 1.2 X that of an adult male. 

I'm time rich, have access to easy transport and other resources and I budget main meals for us at about 8 dollars each ingredient cost.  This is using fresh seasonal produce, mid level lean protein, a variety of carbs.  Let's say I'm extravagant and it can be done for 20% less, that is still about 6.50 per person, so the doctors hypothetical family needs to spend over 40 dollars a meal to feed themselves a balanced diet.  Their food only cost has to be more than 300 a week.

It's a grinding, endless existance that is made worse by the fact that our economic policy settings require it.  It's the market at work.

56 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

Just the daily milk and weetbix bill is gonna be astronomical 

Im guessing at least 3L a day and 16-20 weetbix. Are there still 66 weetbix in a big box?

No Only 60 ==1kg At least that is the "Wheat Biscuit"  (woolworths ) same size packet as the Sanitarium version, probably made by them too. Discussions about Sanitarium losing their "Charitable" status so the price may go up!

1 hour ago, DrWatson said:

Just the daily milk and weetbix bill is gonna be astronomical 

Im guessing at least 3L a day and 16-20 weetbix. Are there still 66 weetbix in a big box?

I know that as a kid in a family of five (parents, three boys) we used to use 6 pints (thats how old I am!) a day.  3.6 litres in the new money.  I know this because I delivered it - I was one of the local milk boys.

Here is another point of reference - the meals in schools program that will be going across decile 1, 2 and 3 schools next year.  They are costing a school lunch at $5 for primary school kids, $7 for intermediate and secondary.

No pies, no bags of chips, no pseudo-health bars full of sugar, no soft drinks.  Turns out, a nutritionally balanced healthy lunch costs money.  Who'd have thought?

https://www.education.govt.nz/our-work/overall-strategies-and-policies/wellbeing-in-education/free-and-healthy-school-lunches/

16 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

They did have tomatoes for $12.99 kg

That's cheap. I went to get some yesterday and they wanted $19.95 a kg and the things were hothouse...so I've send word north to my trusty tommie supplier who grows them in dirt outside in the weather. They'll cost 20 odd a kg but at least they are real.

Why anyone would want (or need) to buy tomatoes out of season I'll never know. Over here at the moment, the season is over. The cheap Swiss tomatoes have come and gone. Now it's all hothouse, and $$

10 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

No Only 60 ==1kg At least that is the "Wheat Biscuit"  (woolworths ) same size packet as the Sanitarium version, probably made by them too. Discussions about Sanitarium losing their "Charitable" status so the price may go up!

Check the box for the country they're made in? Many years ago, mum thought she was on a winner. Bought the Pams branded ones, whipped the bag out and slotted it into a weetbix box... we knew - they were substantially different.

10 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

I know that as a kid in a family of five (parents, three boys) we used to use 6 pints (thats how old I am!) a day.  3.6 litres in the new money.  I know this because I delivered it - I was one of the local milk boys.

We had a cow for milk. Gallons per day... but it was a different era. Mum didn't work, but kept house and dad worked 6 days a week 8-10h a day. But we had other resources that allowed us kids to eat properly, and many people simply don't have access to those resources now. Like a 5 acre property to keep animals and grow food.

So let's be conservative and say that the hypothetical family goes through 4L of milk a day.. 28L a week = $46 a week, just in milk. I went through the Online Pack n save store (Botany) and clocked just on 140 bucks just for milk, 2kg of cheese, a kilo of butter, yoghurt, 2 trays of eggs and 20 loaves of shitty bread (and 2 blocks of butter is nowhere near gonna spread over 20 loaves of bread.)

Remember that our hypothetical family earns way more than the median household income  (Year ended 2019: $50636 gross income (NZ wide: Source Stats NZ) our family is on 81,484... So well more than half of the households in NZ are managing on less than our family gets...

1 hour ago, DrWatson said:

Why anyone would want (or need) to buy tomatoes out of season I'll never know. Over here at the moment, the season is over. The cheap Swiss tomatoes have come and gone. Now it's all hothouse, and $$

Check the box for the country they're made in? Many years ago, mum thought she was on a winner. Bought the Pams branded ones, whipped the bag out and slotted it into a weetbix box... we knew - they were substantially different.

We had a cow for milk. Gallons per day... but it was a different era. Mum didn't work, but kept house and dad worked 6 days a week 8-10h a day. But we had other resources that allowed us kids to eat properly, and many people simply don't have access to those resources now. Like a 5 acre property to keep animals and grow food.

So let's be conservative and say that the hypothetical family goes through 4L of milk a day.. 28L a week = $46 a week, just in milk. I went through the Online Pack n save store (Botany) and clocked just on 140 bucks just for milk, 2kg of cheese, a kilo of butter, yoghurt, 2 trays of eggs and 20 loaves of shitty bread (and 2 blocks of butter is nowhere near gonna spread over 20 loaves of bread.)

Remember that our hypothetical family earns way more than the median household income  (Year ended 2019: $50636 gross income (NZ wide: Source Stats NZ) our family is on 81,484... So well more than half of the households in NZ are managing on less than our family gets...

Add to the cost chaos retired folk that live on fixed incomes with crashing nest egg interest returns that can’t afford to be paying $10+ for loaf of bread and milk $6 for a block of butter and $10+ for a block of cheese and don’t start on the extortionate price of healthy greens coupled with constant rising rates insurance costs etc

Not good.