interesting

we sought diversity to be more "representative"

but now parliament seems over-represented with gays, young people, doctors and lawyers

possibly national are the most diverse party in parliament?

could diversity be less important than competence?

meanwhile, having rewarded labour for its covid response by giving them a mandate to govern alone, the people dont seem interested in seeing the greens and maori party in gov. driving their narrow interests

even david clarke, failed former health minister and phil twyford, failed kiwi-build and light rail minister? increased their majorities

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ahhh NZ, what a breath of fresh air !!  With so much of the rest of the world being dictated too by aggressive , power obsessed, stupid old men.... So called leaders whose main interest is s

Well, while that may well be (appears to be) what he means, society has previously decided those under 18 are not sufficiently mature to make these decisions, the mentally deficient are not up to it,

I'm 65 at my next birthday and this looks like being the first time I voted for a winner.

National Party leadership contender Judith Collins has set herself a performance threshold of 35 per cent in the polls if she wins the leadership.

"Once things start getting under 35 per cent people start saying 'can we win?' And I know I am putting a mark up there which at some stage in the future, if I am successful this time, that people will say 'well, you set that mark.

"Yep, let me set that mark."

Judith Collins, 2018

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/judith-collins-sets-her-own-sacking-point-35-per-cent-in-the-polls/LPCP4M6EN7CFUKIEB5JQWGI7MM/

14 minutes ago, Sabre said:

National Party leadership contender Judith Collins has set herself a performance threshold of 35 per cent in the polls if she wins the leadership.

"Once things start getting under 35 per cent people start saying 'can we win?' And I know I am putting a mark up there which at some stage in the future, if I am successful this time, that people will say 'well, you set that mark.

"Yep, let me set that mark."

Judith Collins, 2018

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/judith-collins-sets-her-own-sacking-point-35-per-cent-in-the-polls/LPCP4M6EN7CFUKIEB5JQWGI7MM/

A bit like Duncan Garner vowing to become vegan for a year if labour won.

6 hours ago, erice said:

interesting

we sought diversity to be more "representative"

but now parliament seems over-represented with gays, young people, doctors and lawyers

Is it?  Got some numbers?  Here's what I could quickly gather...

This age analysis is from 2017, but I don't think the shift has been huge although Winston (75) leaving woulddefinitely have dropped the averge age.

This is the latest on LGBT representation and it is on the high side of statistically valid at 10%, but I guess it depends on whether you think its a real representation issue - we do not, for example, get upset if too many MPs have blue eyes.

Can't find or be bothered identifying the number of lawyers who made it through but here's the outline of candidates who put themselves forward.  Whatever the successful number its a pity more didn't because then there would be less of them practising.

Also unsure of how many are medically qualified.

I guess that at least the overrepresentation of career National MPs is addressed. 

Currently on a road trip

Was from a radio program with that ex-weatherman

Think he said 13%

It's no bad thing but as Peterson has been saying we are all minorities in some form 

maori mps are expected to fight extra hard for maori causes

The 🌈 mps the same

But is that appropriate if/when a minority is over-represented?

How about all mps fight equally hard for all their constituents and leave the minority politics behind them?

16 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but should not National be 

really thanking the blokes & blokesses who brought in MMP? 

In a first past the post plurality system like Canada or the UK

wouldn't they have won FAR fewer seats ? 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/asia/new-zealand-election-2020-results-intl-hnk/index.html

Doubtful AJ.  In an FPP environment, we would have voted completely differently. 

Coalitions were almost unheard of in NZ politics under FPP - it has generally been an all out winner takes all event.  Smaller parties therefore would have got hardly any of the vote since thats just a wasted vote, and it would be a scrap between the two larger parties.

In all likelihood it would have been a far closer outcome under FPP.

13 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

In all likelihood it would have been a far closer outcome under FPP.

Well maybe, but the UK Liberal Party went decades in winning close to zero seats in spite of getting a lot of votes - see below. 

Similarly with the Green Parties in Canada, UK, etc. that win votes, but do not win many seats. In proportional rep systems they get seats. 

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7529/

And much of the US is gerrymandered (by the GOP Reich) so that the outcomes of many elections are predetermined, and the number of votes that do not really count are maximized (on purpose). The voters do not choose the office holders - it is the other way around.