White Island

rich2

Pussy Galore did it in 01d 09:41 in the 2006 race which I think was the year it was reserected. Was quicker than Maximus which did the race the following year.

No idea if anyone did better before then.

fair call tom.

Its demorilising watching the other boats coming past you on their way home at cuvier when you know you still have 80% of the race to go and there is only 3 other boats that start with you and they are usually bigger especially if your on the wind and they get a sled ride eg last year.

Been there seen that movie.

Be interesting to see how many hours overload piles on hulabalu if they get a fast run out thursday.

Yea that ZERO appeal Skins.

With alot of boats using it as a RNI qualifier, our div got pretty decimated..which is completely understandable.

My two cents worth is they start everyone on the Thursday, together.

On the flip side my Wed crew were pretty stoked to have the furler back on and it means the wife will def get hot water for xmas!

The divisions leaving on Thursday are in a different race, you race the people in your division not the other ones. Also what is the difference between Boat A getting demoralised seeing Boat B returning when they are still going out & the flip side of Boat B seing Boat A returning if they both started together.

I understand there is an overall placegetter which is rendered largely meaningless by the different start times & last year on a dropping breeze the Friday starters suffered, but if the breeze started light & strengthened then the later starters would have the advantage. If all boats started together then the slower boats are still going to get an advantage/disadvantage due to tides & the possibility of the wind going up or down.

We are racing two handed and don't care about any other boats except those in the two handed division. All the two handed boats start on Thursday night. Come on guys get your entries in....let's go racing!

maximus did it a few years ago ..... they most likely have the record.... but there again that year (2007?) was a drifter.

Nope... it took Maximus about 39hrs. 24hrs ahead of the second boat but slower the PG

Entries close at the end of this week for White Island race. If you are thinking about racing now is the time to get the paper work completed and into RAYC. See you on the start line :D

Monday 15th November - for immediate release

Volcano race next challenge for TeamVodafoneSailing

A race around New Zealand’s only active marine volcano is the next big test for the Orma 60 trimaran, TeamVodafoneSailing.

White Island (Whakaari), located 49km off the coast of Whakatane, is the destination for the Royal Akarana Yacht Club’s annual 310nm race. The volcano is estimated to be more than 100,000 years old, and features beds of yellow and white sulphur crystals and bubbling fumaroles, that make it uninhabitable to most plants and animals.

On Friday 26 November the race will take TeamVodafoneSailing and its fellow competitors out of the Hauraki Gulf past the top of the Coromandel, around White Island, and back home via the same route.

The current record time was set in the 2006 edition of the race by the 50’ Canting Keel racer ‘Pussy Galore’ then owned by Anatole Masfen with a time of 33 hours 41 minutes.

For TeamVodafoneSailing the race could take less than 15 hours – but that would require close to ideal wind direction at each turn of the course, an unlikely scenario.

In October the boat set a new record in the HSBC Premier Coastal Classic when it became the fastest multihull to complete the race, but still finished outside the record set by the supermaxi Alfa Romeo in 2009.

The boat’s highest recorded speed in New Zealand is 39.6 knots, and so far this season, TeamVodafoneSailing has had seven line honours wins – a clean sweep.

“White Island is an excellent race, sailing around the volcano is always thrilling, and we are anticipating an excellent sail,” says the boat’s skipper, Simon Hull.

TeamVodafoneSailing will be maintaining contact with Race Headquarters and its own Facebook and Twitter accounts using Vodafone’s Extended 3G coverage throughout the race.

Following Around White Island, TeamVodafoneSailing will be at Bay of Islands Sailing Week in January.

The team is also supported by Line 7, Seatrade, Fusion, Harken, Safety at Sea, Fineline, B&G, Steinlager and Wilde Media.

www.teamvodafonesailing.co.nz

In case I was coming across as a dick - I love the boat and I respect that they're out there having a great time and working hard for the sponsors.

Sailing would enjoy a better profile if there were more teams like this participating for sure.

I'm just not sure about the 'tweets'.

Entries close tomorrow (Fri 19th). Long range forecast is looking primo, if you are still thinking about doing this race it's not too late to enter. Bring on the racing. :D

Archived