• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again I'd like to highlight the comments about how good the party was. Is the Coastal Classic a yacht race or a party? The quality of the racing is being substantially degraded to enable a b

So, 119 NM in 28.5h if you’re in div 5.  If it’s upwind the whole way, which we know is not likely as you’d normally get a reprieve if and when you round Brett, but just for argument‘s sake let’s

I would call it an 'Event' rather than having to define it as either a race or a party. People do these 'events' for many different reasons but in all cases its for a weekend enjoying doing what you l

Posted Images

'Loved' the 7 hour carpark 5 miles from Brett on Clockwork

Went through hole in the rock sideways after sitting there another 2 hours... Got in to discover we were the third boat in behind the Volvo and Wired... pretty good feeling and boy did the beer taste sweet.

Then the boys had a champagne ride home on Sunday.

Great event all round

Considering only 16 boats finished the race the party on saturday night was the best it’s been in years

we managed to finish, got in at 1.30pm, nice kite run to the finish with the sea breeze filling in.

im interested in the comment about lack of coverage as we put in a lot of effort on the media side

The live Event reporting stuff goes through Facebook, the starts were live streamed, and the start video was up pretty soon afterwards, finishing story was up early Saturday morning, live drone footage of boats finishing etc etc 

we have the usual tracker running for people to follow the race. This does rely on cell phone coverage, so can get a bit shaky around the Brett, but for the most part is does it’s job

The main piece stories were also published through the coastal classic app and the website, the line honours story went up just after 9am on Facebook, I’m not sure what time the website was updated.

we were also pushing out updates through Instagram and Twitter, with an event hashtag for social contributions.

I know some here are anti Facebook, an opinion I understand. I can take that feedback to the committee, but what other channels/platforms should we be using.

Sailing stories are for the sailors, the wider public are just not that interested. It doesnt matter how many media channels you pump it out on, its still just another yacht race which unless you are really into it mostly incomprehensible, even for sailors like me its a bit of a "ok so what?" If its about pleasing advertisers with views... dont know anything about marketing so cant comment.

Live vid updates, now thats interesting 

25 minutes ago, Tamure said:

Sailing stories are for the sailors, the wider public are just not that interested. It doesnt matter how many media channels you pump it out on, its still just another yacht race which unless you are really into it mostly incomprehensible, even for sailors like me its a bit of a "ok so what?" If its about pleasing advertisers with views... dont know anything about marketing so cant comment.

Live vid updates, now thats interesting 

Yeah I get that for people outside the sailing community the reporting can be a bit meaningless.

I was more replying to Fogg’s comment about the media coverage dying a death and trying to work out why we are missing part of the target audience?

Certainly a lot less discussion on here than usual.

And personally I tried to find the results on the website, and at first it would not load, then, for example, it had DNC in the solo division for boats that were there. 

There were conflicting results at various locations on the website,  for example overall and at division levels did not agree. 

The web page does not work in the Brave browser, and the results are still wrong now, for example;

image.png

and ;

image.png

7 minutes ago, Island Time said:

And personally I tried to find the results on the website, and at first it would not load, then, for example, it had DNC in the solo division for boats that were there. 

There were conflicting results at various locations on the website,  for example overall and at division levels did not agree. 

The web page does not work in the Brave browser, and the results are still wrong now, for example;

image.png

and ;

image.png

It was a weird year, because so few boats actually finished. The results above are correct by the si’s, as boats not over the line by the time limit can have their gps positions recorded, and be given a finishing position, but are not eligible for handicap or prizes.

31 minutes ago, Island Time said:

The web page does not work in the Brave browser...

Brave browser... their business model is certainly brave!

<sarc>have you tried using chrome?</sarc>

I’ll pass on the feedback👍

37 minutes ago, Island Time said:

image.png

and ;

image.png

The lack of discussion here probably has more to do with crew.org than lack of interest in the coastal classic?

6 minutes ago, Clipper said:

The lack of discussion here probably has more to do with crew.org than lack of interest in the coastal classic?

Have to agree but I’ve noticed SA has also gone a bit quiet Since covid hit . Less interesting sailing talk and more bitching and moaning .

as for the coastal you do have to scan all the Media platforms to flesh out the picture a bit which is fine if you put the effort in .