Says it all...

"but asked how success was going to be measured. Greg said the ultimate measure would be Olympic medals won,"

So he really doesn't give two hoots about the rest of us does he

"asked whether Yachting New Zealand still intended creating a high performance centre. David said the biggest hurdle was finding an appropriate venue given the lack of options close to good sailing waters."

Surely an opportunity for a regional project, but no he's only looking in Auckland

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/resources/agm-minutes

"The objects of Yachting New Zealand are: 3.1 To help New Zealanders access, enjoy and succeed on the water for life and in particular: a) Competitive yachting and recreational yachting and boating;..."

Missed out a pretty big chunk there boss

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/resources/ynz-constitution

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In operation the difference is far more efficacious than just semantics. Individuals are not members. Clubs are the members. Clubs are mostly dominated by small groups of people, most of whom are long

I was at the AGM and Haven’t seen the draft minutes. I asked that the board be directed to consider the double payment of subs and I proposed a simple Method to do this but was rebuffed on the basis T

Hmmm.... yeap the usual. I don't know what it is but YNZ seem to be going out of their way to not recognise the problem they have. One is arrogance but many put that down to leadership being ther

The heading to this forum says "opening up communication with YNZ".If you haven't noticed it's mostly one way communication. Guys & gals  they're ignoring the rank and file who mainly pay the compulsory subs. Double and triple dipping to add insult to injury.We are their servants now. Wouldn't it be great if your business was run on these lines.? Apart from the 5 ring circus  the system's broke. They just lie low and let the storm from Crew blow over each time. Bah humbug but'll come to a screeching halt when one storm  eventually intensifies

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it explained to me by YNZ staff on several occasions now that YNZ is a member focused/based organisation. But in making that claim they do not regard their members as the yachties, but that their members are the yacht clubs. And so the Clubs is their primary focus. A not so subtle but very important distinction.

Semantics.  The clubs exist for their members and therefore YNZ serves overall yacht club membership. The YNZ constitution is clear in its goals... I was a bit schocked that the draft AGM minutes stated that " overall success would be measured at the next olympics" or similar. 

In operation the difference is far more efficacious than just semantics. Individuals are not members. Clubs are the members. Clubs are mostly dominated by small groups of people, most of whom are long term conservatives (in respect to sailing, and typically focused on racing). Thus getting any change, widening the doors to welcome non racing sailors is very difficult at both levels; the governing body and the Clubs. 

Perhaps ponder for a moment your own club(s). If you brought a member from 1970 in a time machine to today, would they notice any significance difference between the programmes run then and those being run now? Certainly at the Clubs I belong to, it would be minimal. But more importantly the vast majority of new (Club) members leave disillusioned within a year or two. They soon come to understand the old guard is not going to change or try new things. Most long term members seem ok to watch as year after year their club at best stagnates and more often slowly shrinks of members.

YNZ reflects that conservatism, and that unwillingness to change. Contrast that with Yachting Australia a handful of years ago. YA recognised and acknowledged that problem, and undertook a series of steps, including the Gemba report to rejuvenate the sport at the base level. And OK it hasn't all been sunshine and roses, but it certainly stirred things up and started a process to bring sailing in to the 21st century. That needs to happen here too.

You might look it another way. Next time you're at your Club or attend a course/seminar take a look around for diversity. Perhaps the 3 Clubs and sailing region that I associate with are exceptions, but I rarely see brown faces, and there is a distinct lack of female sailors. That's not so true for the children's learn to sail programmes, but 95% of kids only do a single season and we never see them again. But then you hardly see any brown faces at children's regattas either.  Add in training camps. courses, seminars, etc and it's an even worse story. And I should add I'm using brown face not literally but as a metaphor for self entitled non white people mostly with financial substance.

I was at the AGM and Haven’t seen the draft minutes. I asked that the board be directed to consider the double payment of subs and I proposed a simple Method to do this but was rebuffed on the basis That:

a) people make their own choice to join two or more clubs and 

b) the”members” of YNZ are the clubs not individuals. 

nek minute we were discussing why getting individuals details like DOB, gender and ethnicity was important...hmm big contradiction there. 

2 hours ago, Addem said:

nek minute we were discussing why getting individuals details like DOB, gender and ethnicity was important...hmm big contradiction there. 

What was the sales pitch by YNZ on that?