Says it all...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In operation the difference is far more efficacious than just semantics. Individuals are not members. Clubs are the members. Clubs are mostly dominated by small groups of people, most of whom are long

I was at the AGM and Haven’t seen the draft minutes. I asked that the board be directed to consider the double payment of subs and I proposed a simple Method to do this but was rebuffed on the basis T

Hmmm.... yeap the usual. I don't know what it is but YNZ seem to be going out of their way to not recognise the problem they have. One is arrogance but many put that down to leadership being ther

4 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I wonder how many non racers are not club members??

The total number of recreational vessels owned in New Zealand is currently estimated to be about 960,000

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recreational/safety-campaigns/documents/2018 Recreational Boating Participation Research.pdf

There is actually quite a bit of research on this, I think sailing people was some where in the 400 -500 000 I've posted before on this but cant find it again.

"In 2014, Auckland had over 135,000 registered boats"

Market penetration by YNZ clubs is minuscule.

YNZ makes a big show of its advocacy on behalf of yachities, maybe they should seek some funding from the 90% of yachties they are representing that are not paying for it.

15 hours ago, KM... said:

What was the sales pitch by YNZ on that?

Same old, same old. If they have individual details they can give benefits like the discount card, demonstrate to some Government organization they are representing us well.  

In my opinion none of it is valid if their constituency is clubs. what they really want it for is to access more funding for high performance by demonstrating they are gender and age diverse. 

BTW the new Privacy Act comes into force on 1st December and clubs  supplying personal member info to YNZ without express permission will be a breach. 

On 2/11/2020 at 4:30 PM, Addem said:

Same old, same old. If they have individual details they can give benefits like the discount card, demonstrate to some Government organization they are representing us well.  

In my opinion none of it is valid if their constituency is clubs. what they really want it for is to access more funding for high performance by demonstrating they are gender and age diverse. 

BTW the new Privacy Act comes into force on 1st December and clubs  supplying personal member info to YNZ without express permission will be a breach. 

Hmmm.... yeap the usual.

I don't know what it is but YNZ seem to be going out of their way to not recognise the problem they have. One is arrogance but many put that down to leadership being there so long it;s become a fiefdom, there are many signs there is something to that, how much is debatable. But the big one is this insistence they are club only yet they want direct access to the individuals. They seem either unwilling to accept if they go to the individual the individuals will regard YNZ as there for them. Ask around and most individuals do think YNZ is there for them, ask YNZ and they say Oh No that's not us we're only here for the clubs. So I do think YNZ is the author of much of the grief being aimed and attributed to them.

The arrogance bit is due to YNZ near demanding clubs break the laws of the land just to suit their end game which is not the people whose info they are demanding. I do use the word 'demanding' intentionally, something else that does them no favours.

The law we can't pass over info without asking permission first is not new, it;s been in for quite a long time. I asked my people and some were OK with the info being passed on but some sure weren't. But YNZ told me 'we want everyones or no ones' so we gave them no ones. That does seem to go against what they say they want the info for which just adds to the amount of haze boaties are trying to peer though to see why YNZ is really about.

15 hours ago, splat said:

hmm, so there are ~960,000 boats, while the "top line survey" had a sample size of 2,006 of whom 910 were boaties, that's 0.095%.

Not sure how representative the results are ntowithstanding their claims about margin of error

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I also thought most of the questions were not well formed, and the research was designed by a statistician not a boaty. An example is the wearing of lifejackets - they dont make allowances for boat size - for people who stay overnight or longer. Who wears a lifejacket to bed? It seems to have the mentality of day boats. 

9 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I also thought most of the questions were not well formed, and the research was designed by a statistician not a boaty. An example is the wearing of lifejackets - they dont make allowances for boat size - for people who stay overnight or longer. Who wears a lifejacket to bed? It seems to have the mentality of day boats. 

the survey was run by IPSOS

https://www.ipsos.com/en-nz/new-zealand-management-team

they were probably supplied with a set of leading questions from MNZ, whose senior management as we all know has a raft of sea going experience - not