Vendee Globe 2020

I think the damage done to Hugo Boss was the first stages of what happened to PRB. Maybe Kevin hadn't noticed the longitudinal in the forward compartment starting to fail? 

I would think everyone on the Hugo boss team would have been pretty worried about sending that boat into the southern Ocean with the structural damage it had already sustained so the rudder issue might have been a blessing and relief for them.... 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say 'bit the dust' just yet. He's just got a slight welsh onion. If he can fix that up, he'll be fine. Tack over and keep it out of the water in the first instance. Its a fair way to go until the front falls off...

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Fish said:

I wouldn't say 'bit the dust' just yet. He's just got a slight welsh onion. If he can fix that up, he'll be fine. Tack over and keep it out of the water in the first instance. Its a fair way to go until the front falls off...

image.jpeg.49f4001d3f9798ae58ac87d616e822e8.jpeg

bit of cloth and some resin, good as new by lunch time 

Foils are going to get damaged. The damage to the foil box is more interesting - water ingress - welsh onion (leaks are bad luck on boats, never say the name) is the primary issue. Should be manageable from a not sinking point of view. Not great for race winning prospects. Any single handed round the world race is always going to be a race of attrition. The Vendee is no different.

It may be a little early to decide, and probably better to wait till they reach Cape Horn.
But so far, the foils in the VG are more prone to damage, but the attrition rate was higher in the GGR due to rolling and pitchpoling.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, ex Elly said:

It may be a little early to decide, and probably better to wait till they reach Cape Horn.
But so far, the foils in the VG are more prone to damage, but the attrition rate was higher in the GGR due to rolling and pitchpoling.

Any idea of if these VG boats would have a Series Drogue?  Or, is the thought of towing a warp to slow the boat just not something done in these types of races?
The GGR boats that had drogues worked pretty good from what I read, although one drogue did give way which is why the English lass Suzie something, was pitchpoled.

Yes Sebastian Destremau has arrived in Lyttleton.  He is the guy who used to do "DestopNews".

A bit tired and emotional there.  Wait till he gets on the cognac!

One does not "abandon" the Vendee Globe. One "retires"!  😆

10 minutes ago, 1paulg said:

Count down to the finish of this epic race - 3 competitors within 120 nm and around 24 hours to the finish line.....

It's unbelievably close, and there are still time reductions for Hermann and Bestaven to come into play so Dalin might cross the line first but not win.

It'll be interesting to see if the gamble to go north for the 3 boats up there pays off.

Yesterday they were predicting Dalin and Burton to finish 54 minutes apart.