Mariner End of Year Rum Race

Good luck all! :thumbup:

And the Mount Gay Lady has been extremely generous.

Seems fitting to wrap up the year with a thanks to Mount Gay for oiling the sometimes-feverish minds that inhabit this site. :clap:

I would definitely rate that a success, I'll have something on the home page later today, and rigger is working on the photos.

An enormous thank you to Mariner and Mount Gay (and Richmond YC).

Plus our resident Data Lord. That man is a genius. After the first five or so boats crossed the line within a couple of minutes, we were met with a wall of finishing boats, with six people in the tower trying to pick the boats as they finished we couldn't keep up and eventually resorted to Mount Gay instead, I think about 40 boats finished in a matter of minutes, but we really lost track, it was too difficult.

Thanks to all those who showed up.

I had a blast last night, literally as I was finishing the boats with the big hooter thing. A well lubricated tower crew too.

Thanks to all who came out, and to David.

We are keen to be involved next year .

We had a great time out last night.. By the end of the race we were all well adjusted!

At 10 up on a 26 footer, we were sailing fairly well I thought.......Anyone else have a higher ratio of crew to boat length?!

However there was an incident at the start line where another (Much larger) boat (that I won't name at this point) did not give way to a fellow boat also in start sequence (us). Unsure if anyone witnessed. I have lodged a protest request with Squid on the night when we got to the club and in writing.

The incident resulted in our Navlights being smashed off the top of the rig and Weather vane and aerial loosened up.

By some miracle the wind gear didn't get touched.

We were leeward boat in start sequence (both of boats were about to start)- neither of us had crossed the line- prestart rules apply.

Windward and overtaking boat on the same board should have given way to another boat also starting.

Just because a boat is much smaller than you does not give rights to power/barge through them- over yes provided care to avoid contact is made (none was).

There was plenty of water, and no reason given we were holding our course to let contact occur.

We tried to bear away to no avail.

Given they type of race and number of people aboard all boats additional care and room really needs to be provided for- I think most of us did this...however there is always an exception.

Could they please contact me to arrange the replacement of my lights.

My contact number is 021345364.

I'd prefer not to have to chase this - so hope I can be contacted and get it sorted without problems.....It's not worth reporting as an Insurance claim...but given we were not at fault I don't expect to foot this bill.

Cheers Squid for a fun night, and hope this small blot can be closed off without issue.

I'm not sure if they are a watcher on here or not.....so if those that are on here that do know them- could they please pass on my details.

Cheers,

Toles.

You are talking about me and I would argue very strongly that we were on our start line at 17.56 (our time), you should have kept clear having a start at 17.58 , you had no headsail up and you deliberately impeded our start. And throwing full cans of beer at my boat and crew is just stupid and dangerous. We did bear up to go over you but you came up and yes, our boom caught your backstay.

We advised you we were on our start and you just kept coming - you make it sound like we hunted you down and as you bore away so did we. This is not the case. We knew that there were three boats starting at 17.56 and you were not one of them.

nothing like waking up at 6:30 and going to work hungover....still drunk? for a 12 hour day.

highlights...sucessfully doing a gybe peel at the bottom mark a touch happy and seeing others mess up

lowlights...speedo cops? good effort.

and lights out after a night on the town....

Archived