Price for Davidson 28 1977

On 18/11/2020 at 9:37 PM, John Doe said:

I am an inexperienced sailor and would like to buy a yacht for my family with two children. Unfortunately, the offer is not that big and the possibility of finding a yacht with a mooring is even smaller.

Now I have come across a yacht that I have seen and judged by more experienced sailors to be in very good condition. In turn, a dealer said that a Davidson 28 with a wooden top is of almost no value, even if it has a newer engine in it. What do you recommend me to bid here? Any feedback is very welcome.

She's not on TM yet, but here some data:

• GRP hull, ply/glass deck and cabin (re-glassed by Dickson Marine 2008).
  • New top stripe and cockpit repaint (Toplac 2019).
  • Underwater area sanded and antifouled (Altex Pettit Hydrocoat Aug. 2019). Large double V berth forward. Main cabin table folds down to a double. 2 x large quarter berths. Saloon headroom of over 6ft
  • New fully edged quality carpet throughout 2016.
  • 21hp Nanni 3 cylinder diesel 2013
  • 3 blade feathering Kiwi Prop 2013. Parker / Raycor Primary filter unit (NEW 2017) Two 70 litre water tanks with charcoal filters. 60l aluminium diesel tank – New 2013 Electric toilet and holding tank
  • Electric anchor winch
  • Fully battened Dacron mainsail with lazy jacks 2013.
  • Mylar radial cut furling genoa 2013 plus storm jib.
  • All headsails fit the Furlex self furler.
  • Sheets and all running rigging replaced 2013.
  • Spectra halyards 2013.
  • Spinnaker with all new equipment including Spectra sheets. Jockey pole.
  • Single speed jib-sheet winches and cabin-top mounted halyard winches.
  • All lines led aft to cockpit for safety and short-handed sailing.
  • Raymarine log (speedo). Compass. Autopilot. Depth Sounder
  • Lowrance HDS-7 sonar/GPS Chart Plotter (Navonics platinum NZ Charts 2019).
  • 1 Deep cycle house battery. 1 starting battery New 2020.
  • Solar panel & regulator.
  • VHF radio with NEW masthead aerial and wiring (2016).
  • 2.3m inflatable (2009) with 2 HP Yamaha outboard (2009)
  • Spray dodger, Lee cloths, Sail cover & Bimini canvas (NEW Dec. 2017)
  • Manson Supreme and Danforth anchors (NEW chain 2017, warp 2016).
  • New teak anchor sprit 2015.
  • Mahogany handrails 2015.
  • Laminated tiller with extension 2015.
  • SS rigging (NEW forward lowers 2016) replaces baby stay.
  • New boom gooseneck 2015.
  • MK2 Rudder.
  • Boathook.
  • Fenders
  • Teak swim platform with stainless fold down telescopic ladder. New switch panel 2015.
  • Lifejackets, lifebuoy, flares (OOD). Fire extinguisher (NEW 2017). Galley chattels (Plates, Cutlery, pots and pans etc)
  • Pressurised water system.
  • 2 burner LPG gimballed stove with grill (2009)
  • LPG Gas bottle
  • Large Insulated ice box

The thread drifted into engine replacement advice (which you don’t need!) but wondering how you got on?

On 21/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Kevin McCready said:

Just a quick warning if you come across this listing by "Jason" aka "Rudolf Shack" aka "rob289" aka "jason7773". He has multiple trademe identities and phone numbers and lots of BS stories, often involving his alleged dying mother and a deal which can't be refused. DO NOT BELIEVE a single word that comes out of his mouth. He's very good at using putty, bog and a lick of paint and making a wreck look like a nice boat. Be VEEEERRRYYY careful. Get an expert to look over any boat he has been near.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2867300902?bof=Dj3LAUED

Is this they Jason guy you mean? He sells a lot of older boats.....

This vid is quite funny because the guy seems to actually believe what he's saying - I mean it's obviously a spoof sketch, right?

• Like 1
On 26/02/2021 at 1:12 AM, leonsenf said:

"Jason" aka "Rudolf Shack" aka "rob289" aka "jason7773". He has multiple trademe identities and phone numbers and lots of BS stories,

Has anyone given Trademe a heads up on this guy? I don't think they take kindly to these kind of fraudsters

I wouldnt say he is fraudster as such.He buys abandoned or cheap junk and tidies them up. ie buy for $500 and try and sell for $2k. it is buyer beware. If you buy any boat and dont get it loked if you are boating inclined,no idea if a outboard is good or not or rot in hul.I would say that was yoir fault.

Only tried dealing with him once then got blocked for asking a question.

I could list a car and write and the greatest decription on it and you brought without a test drive or mechanic look at it.It breaks down not my fault.

But Jason says he is "in trade" so the buyer has protection.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, wheels said:

Has anyone given Trademe a heads up on this guy?

I personally gave them a heads up years ago and told them of his different identities. They did nothing.

Trademe is a horrible monopoly with a bad attitude. They are not interested in improving their site (it compares abysmally to ebay or Craig's List) . I think they may have only changed one of these:

1. Can't search within title (searches cover all text in a listing)
2. Can't exclude bad users from search
3. Can't specify price in search
4. Can't find negative feedback reports unless manually search perhaps thousands of feedbacks
5. Bad users come back under new names
6. Very slow to prevent illegal sales (weapons, dangerous goods such as flimsy illegal Chinese ladder imports)
7. Staff don't read support emails properly; they just send boilerplate answers
8. Can't specify if seller allows pickups
9. Can't narrow down geographic region (Auckland Supercity now includes remote areas separated by over 100 km)

and they are also destructive of community, straying way outside their remit with neanderthal views on crime.

• Like 1

Back to Davidson 28.

The bilges, many owners wont admit but being very shallow a litre of water can travel along way. Didd a very slight drip from the gland and took time to figure it, it inaccessible unless you were a contortionist, found swapped out for dripless. Constant wet carpet around sink area. Wasnt till after sometime someone mentioned about the bilges being shallow. I still want one, should never of sold the mans but didn't fit in to needs at the time.