Price for Davidson 28 1977

Just a quick warning if you come across this listing by "Jason" aka "Rudolf Shack" aka "rob289" aka "jason7773". He has multiple trademe identities and phone numbers and lots of BS stories, often involving his alleged dying mother and a deal which can't be refused. DO NOT BELIEVE a single word that comes out of his mouth. He's very good at using putty, bog and a lick of paint and making a wreck look like a nice boat. Be VEEEERRRYYY careful. Get an expert to look over any boat he has been near.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2867300902?bof=Dj3LAUED

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. When I started looking at yachts and had interactions with a few dealers I quickly formed the opinion that they made used car salesmen look like saints. Do not take their word as gospel on anything

What AA said.  If the more pricey boat has sails that are much better, motor & winches & fittings better, little or no water intrusion . .  And is in immediate sail-away condition as

I spent most of my working life presenting low offers. What i observed was silly low offers were less effective than "reasonable but a bit light". The silly offer would just piss the vendor off a

On 19/11/2020 at 2:36 PM, Black Panther said:

. I found it better to start near where you want to end up. Then when you get a counter offer (won't happen if you start too low) say " I love your boat and would pay that if I could, but this is all I have".

Exactly what happened when we bought Above the Fold.  We gave the dealer our top number. He came back with something like: "If you can just come up a couple of grand, you'd get it." We replied that we'd have to sell a grandchild to get any more cash and resigned ourselves to not getting the boat. We were sitting in a pizza joint in Kingsland later that evening, drowning our disappointment, when the dealer called to say the owners had accepted our offer.

On 20/11/2020 at 8:36 AM, Black Panther said:

I spent most of my working life presenting low offers. What i observed was silly low offers were less effective than "reasonable but a bit light".

The silly offer would just piss the vendor off and make the rest of the negotiations much harder  . I found it better to start near where you want to end up. Then when you get a counter offer (won't happen if you start too low) say " I love your boat and would pay that if I could, but this is all I have".

But what would I know. 

Good words there.

2 hours ago, Frank said:

The budget for a re-engine on my Carpenter 29 was approx 16K by doing the work myself, 20 to 22 K if I replaced the Sail drive leg as well. 

a thumbsuck rule for total re-engine cost for an "end to end" shaft drive replacement is double the engine cost (for a new engine). Could be a little less depending on how much you can do yourself. A saildrive replacement will be a little less than that factor

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

a thumbsuck rule for total re-engine cost for an "end to end" shaft drive replacement is double the engine cost (for a new engine). Could be a little less depending on how much you can do yourself. A saildrive replacement will be a little less than that factor

That's about right. New engine was 14k, total cost old engine out and new one in 23k. That's a 30 hp.

On 22/11/2020 at 8:51 AM, marinheiro said:

Yep, agree with that, anecdotally I heard of a 34 footer where the instructions were " Replace the engine and send me the bill"

50K later !

it all depends on what you have, boat and engine, and what you are going to.

I wrote an article about that for Island Time a while back, and I chose the easiest engine to fit to my engine space for that reason. See

I can certainly see how you could spend an additional $15K + if there was lots of boat building to do, or changing from Sail Drive to shaft, or vice versa, or had to move mounts and structure etc.

57 minutes ago, Young Entertainer said:

geez and i thought i paid up for install, mine was 22k engine, saildrive, and prop,  install was 4k and fridge change about the same

its swings and roundabouts. When you buy your sail drive it comes with the leg, prop and possibly the moulded engine base.

On a shaft drive install, particularly if you are increasing the installed power which requires an increased shaft size, to get to this equivalent point you need  to replace the shaft coupling, shaft, stern gland, cutlass bearings, strut and prop. Then you will need a new stern tube (those GRP tube/strut assemblies Henleys make are a good option)  and possibly engine bed mods.

Many engine replacements of either config will require a new exhaust (I had to increase from a 2" to 3" exhaust, ridiculous for a 54hp NA engine but Yanmar would not budge), a new shifter and cables will be a good idea. If you have a second alternator and/or fridge compressor you will be looking at mounts for these, pulleys etc. 

So yes, it is easy for costs to run away if you are not careful