New Auckland Bylaws - have your say

2 minutes ago, harrytom said:

We had reason to contact the harbour master vessel in Tamaki river a few yrs ago due to the 50m 5knt rule,they happened to of gone past us ealier,called on vhf16 and they responded to vessel concerned. When we went past they were getting lecture on the ruless.Good outcome!.

Yeah that is good, but after the fact if they are not around they didn't seem to be interested in following up when I rang. Didn't even want the video sent through. Perhaps it depends you get.

• Upvote 1
Just now, bigal.nz said:

Yeah that is good, but after the fact if they are not around they didn't seem to be interested in following up when I rang. Didn't even want the video sent through. Perhaps it depends you get.

Do we want an active water police like overseas??I have no problem if we do . Educate first then prosecute.

On 30/11/2020 at 6:20 AM, The big T said:

Retired Deodar sergeant on education versus fines - "after 3 fines they soon learn" 

"After 3 fines they soon learn" - I find it hard to believe that any got fined more than once.....

A request to Auckland harbor master reveals:

2019 - 11 fines issued in Tamaki River for speed > 5 knots (less than 1 per month)

2019 - 22 fines in Waitemata restricted speed zone

2019 - 0 fines for speed > 5 knots within 50m of another boat

I would prefer to see much more enforcement of the speed limits. 33 tickets for the whole year is pretty abysmal.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget to make your submission this weekend or you can't complain when they raise the speed limit to 18kts, which is the current favored response. 

https://akhaveyoursay.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/navigation-safety-bylaw?tool=survey_tool&tool_id=navigation-bylaw

image.thumb.png.6d52466002ab9a60345812fd6e1f4881.png

My submission:

"Auckland Harbour is a small waterspace used by many vessels, often not following the expected east/west route of the harbour. 18knots is far to fast for untrained skippers to operate in very confined waters. Many private skippers do not follow the 5knots with 50m of a another vessel and pass within 20-30m at the current limit of 12knots. These skippers will now be passing at 18knots, creating very dangerous situations. Private vessels are growing in average size, meaning larger wakes and more force in collisions. The recent Americas Cup speed limit of 5 knots have shown how orderly and safe the harbour can be with a slower speed limit. Far safer than the average Sunday afternoon with large launches plowing their way up the Waitemata at 12knots, throwing a wall of water out behind them and driving close to other boats. I'd estimate that we have a vessel pass closer than 50m, at more than 5knots everytime we move in or out of the harbour. I recommend 8knots for private vessels, with 18knots allowed for commercial vessels due to them having licensed skippers. Yachts racing should be exempt for the speed restrictions."

Less emphasis on lifejackets and more on speed,distance judgement and wake creation .Most fizz boaters and newbie launchies have no idea of what 5 knots or 200 metres are. Agree with the police assessment . A fine is remembered long after the 'warning' has been laughed off.18 knots in restricted  and sometime  crowded waterway is ridiculous

• Upvote 1