New toy in Auckland...

43 minutes ago, Clipper said:

What does FOB mean? I saw her Friday, awesome looking boat, but cant really love the keel setups they have

I was always a bit wary of any lifting keel setup, until you figure  out that if you hit anything at speed it gives a little and doesn’t rip a hole in you boat... and there’s. Plenty of speed with something like this...

also shallow draft when you need it is incredibly awesome ... who wants to have to anchor out in the middle of the bay when you can creep in close n cosy,,or tuck into a tiny spot and hunker down?

Yes, as long as the internal structure has been built appropriately to accomodate the loads that it will be subjected to. Plus that the board doesn't retract into the hull gives more room internally and some longditudinal stability when at anchor.

With 1m draught with the board up I can tuck Gwalarn well away from the madding crowds. Occasionally to the surprise of keelers who don't realise that i am a Centre boarder and want to anchor close-by.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

I was always a bit wary of any lifting keel setup, until you figure  out that if you hit anything at speed it gives a little and doesn’t rip a hole in you boat... and there’s. Plenty of speed with something like this...

also shallow draft when you need it is incredibly awesome ... who wants to have to anchor out in the middle of the bay when you can creep in close n cosy,,or tuck into a tiny spot and hunker down?

Agree Doc, have to ask,  is this Pogo your new toy?

Shaggybaxter over on SA has one he was close to selling.

Centreboard designs often have a locking device - pin, hydraulic lock etc - to lock the board down. Hopefully well above the waaterline. 

The idea that it gives some additional safety in the event of a collision (grounding, floating or semi floating debris etc) would depend entirely on the individual design. If it was designed with that in mind, possibly.

Some I've seen would compromise watertight integrity more easily than a fixed keel.  If you think this is the case with one you may look at, I'd suggest you discuss it with the designer.

I do like that boat though, and if I suddenly found lots of $$, it would be on the list for further consideration :-)

16 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Centreboard designs often have a locking device - pin, hydraulic lock etc - to lock the board down. Hopefully well above the waaterline. 

The idea that it gives some additional safety in the event of a collision (grounding, floating or semi floating debris etc) would depend entirely on the individual design. If it was designed with that in mind, possibly.

Some I've seen would compromise watertight integrity more easily than a fixed keel.  If you think this is the case with one you may look at, I'd suggest you discuss it with the designer.

I do like that boat though, and if I suddenly found lots of $$, it would be on the list for further consideration :-)

Think this one has a fore aft hydraulic  ram with a cam if I recall.

Looks like that one will be berthed with the plate down. The Pogo30 in Whitianga has to berth with the plate up and the trim changes considerably requiring the antifouling to be angled up towards the stern.

Very cool boats. Even the 30 has an incredible amount of space below and sails well

I've often wondered if lead shot was used for ballast inside a swing keel and a vertical (when down) space down the face of the keel and a similar overall sized space available at the bottom of the keel to accommodate the shot, so that when the keel was raised the shot would flow to the now horizontal space that has become the lowest point, evening out the spread and keep everything on an even keel, so to speak.

10 hours ago, Island Time said:

I believe they a sort of blow off valve which allows the keel to pivot backwards if grounded hard enough. 

51 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

Engine needs to be running to lift keel.

Officially, yes, but that's because standard is AGM batteries. The keel pump draws up to 100A for about a minute. With LiFePO4 you don't really need to run the engine, but the keel pump motor runs through a relay controlled by the engine ignition. 

You can also manually pump the keel up or down - if you're enthusiastic.

8 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

I've often wondered if lead shot was used for ballast inside a swing keel and a vertical (when down) space down the face of the keel and a similar overall sized space available at the bottom of the keel to accommodate the shot, so that when the keel was raised the shot would flow to the now horizontal space that has become the lowest point, evening out the spread and keep everything on an even keel, so to speak.

Interesting idea. But i think in a roll over or a knock down you'd rather have all your lead at the end of your board....

41 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

Yeah was happy to hear that went without incident. Keel up I presume?

Yes. And it was blowing. I think if you had the depth, keel down might be easier. 
But not that bad really. 

57 minutes ago, Steve said:

I believe they a sort of blow off valve which allows the keel to pivot backwards if grounded hard enough. 

Indeed, however the pressure induced by a solid keel impact, will create a shock, transmitted back thru the lift mechanism.

In a severe impact it's likely to break the ram mounting points as the pressure cannot be released through a valve sufficiently quickly - fluid is not compressible etc. This issue may be designed in, with a "fuse" in the system to allow the keel to be pressed up as part of the shock absorption design... or not.