Northland hull cleanning rules

1 hour ago, BOIGuy said:

So you think all those big container ships anchored up off Auckland and Whangarei have got nice clean hulls? Nothing in their "niche" areas.

Sounds like they might be there for a while, plenty of time to spread what they got.

Pretty sure the regional councils are pretending its not a problem and assuring themselves that MPI have got it all under control for them while eagerly awaiting BOOBOO's visit to the Bay.

Noise control is on standby too 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DrWatson said:

yeah that's possible. But if there's no antifoul? just a waterblast then back in?? A pic of the process and an entry in the log?

Yep, a ships log is a legal document. Although I bet their inspectors dont know that...

8 hours ago, DrWatson said:

yeah that's possible. But if there's no antifoul? just a waterblast then back in?? A pic of the process and an entry in the log?

Only problem is you would just have created evidence for waterblasting antifoul without a proper resource consent so will probably get a call from someone else in the council. The NRC have a strange view that dairy farming leaves waterways pristine but all boaties are eco terrorists and should pay levies etc.

Bear in mind, it was the NRC that awarded an RC to an avocado orchard to take a whacking amount of water from an aquifer, while just down the road, Kaitaia had 2 weeks of water left, residents were bathing in rivers, all the food productions places, including the super market were installing water tanks on their carpark, and even Fontera were trucking water from Whangarei on their back hauls. Even little things like no laundry washing. Kids were going to school filthy. There was a major public health crisis. And NRC, well, they watered the avocado's.

Just to make you "exacerbators" feel better, its not just you the NRC are screwing. Their lack of common sense or any logic at all is just astounding. 

In Marlborough last Summer harbourmaster and associated agencies were diving on moored craft. We were rafted up with Rogue, Clearvision and a 1020.  The inspecting free-diver simply called out a score from 1-4 with one. We all scored 1 or 2. Diver almost skewered himself on stainless trailing tip on Ballistic.  I think the whole exercise was intended as educational really.

Timely.  I just went through this yesterday for Opua marina for BOI race week.  In summer we have a private clean of the hull with scuba every 2-3 weeks - so no receipt - in winter we use the floating dock.  Our Antifoul will be 6.5 months old when we get to Opua...

The Marinas follow a self-imposed 6/1 rule - anitfoul must be less than 6 months old (with invoice) or you must have documented proof of a clean within 1 month.  (This can simply be a receipt from a haulout facility, a commercial diver).

The law is a bit different - the Management plan says - you must be antifouled within 12months, applied per manufacturer spec and you cannot have any biofouling other than slime on your boat. (See section 10.1. -  https://www.nrc.govt.nz/media/uhudlio4/northlandregionalpestandmarinepathwaymanagementplan20172027.pdf )

If you clean the boat privately, follow a cleaning standard and believe that it is up to standard, then you can call NRC and ask for an exemption and they will contact the marina on your behalf.

NRC advised me that the person we use for in-water cleaning can sign a letter to state that the hull has been fully cleaned on date x at location y and that the boat complies with the requirements of the NRC marine pathway management plan.  (to comply with the plan you must also have been antifouled within 12 months and be able to provide proof of this if inspected).

Also, while we're on the topic of cleaning, be aware that if you are in-water cleaning then you have to be cleaning your boat in an area that permits it and you have to be following specific rules which might include capturing some organisms.

In lots of parts of Auckland, such as the Islands, Long Bay, and the Wade river,  cleaning is prohibitted: https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Documents/biofouling-and-invasive-marine-pest-species.pdf

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Tamure said:

Wow! I clean my own boat. If one was to turn up in the BOI with a spotless racing bottom would it be a case of where are your papers old man? Not everyone wants to get their boat professionally cleaned or painted and I dont keep receipts and I know people who slap a coat of AF on between tides on the grid.

Yes, it would be a case of that.  At the end of the day if you want to use a Marina you have to play by the Marinas rules.  And that might mean producing some documentation.  They also require proof of insurance and an eWof (if you want to plug in).  They probably have other rules about the showers and the toilets too...

But as I said, it doesn't have to be done professionally, if you want to do it yourself just follow the rules and be prepared to be held accountable if you don't follow the rules.

As evidence, the person cleaning the boat needs to write a declaration that the boat has been cleaned in accordance with the rules, your diy anti-fouler can declare that it was antifouled within the last 12 months and was done per manufacturer specs (attach a receipt for the paint as added evidence) and add that you, as owner, have read, understood and are abiding by the rules as laid out in the marine management plan.  Of course, you have to have read the rules and understand what it is that you are committing too... a bit like when you got that drivers license...

If you're slapping on a coat of antifoul between tides, then are you following the manufacturer requirements, including any prep?  (I have no idea how long it needs to dry, or how many coats are required, or time between coats - but if this meets the spec then you'd be meeting the rules...).

You Aucklanders might want to keep a close eye on the next marine pathways stuff currently going on. Someone posted the other day about it, there is a big push to make all the rules the same from Tauranga North. The time table is pretty short and conviniently covers the summer holiday period.

They don't seem to think boaties are stake holders either, we used to be recreational boaties, marina users and mooring owners, we are now official known as exacerbaters, pretty predujicial I thought.

The desire is to make thing's a lot more strict and official. I will be submitting and I strongly encourage anyone with an opinion to do the same, at least start researching, thinking about it and talking to others. 

On 8/12/2020 at 3:29 PM, B00B00 said:

Thanks Fish, keen to see your tide program. Where do I find that?

There is always this you can try this tide calculator. You can chose a specific location using the map, and a time interval to suit. https://tides.niwa.co.nz/ . (It was very accurate for us during lockdown when we were anchored out in about 1 meter water in Waipiro Bay in the BOI.)

18 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

... Someone posted the other day about it, there is a big push....

Here is the link to that bit of Northland Regional Paperwork:

http://northland.infocouncil.biz/Open/2020/12/BABWP_20201202_AGN_2905_AT.PDF?fbclid=IwAR0R-Zf2GyQP1BF8GXvbx-MLW-Dg7Ggf1uCeX973MfwUfmMc_XjWcSGUjD4

See Item 4.2 "Marine Pest Interregional Plan"

Just to round out the story, I managed to get a hull clean at Gulf Harbour yesterday afternoon so all good.

On another note, I sent an email and decleration to NorthLand Biosecurity and got a really helpfull reply straight back with answers to all my questions. Turns out the person I was talking to is an experienced sailor who I know and also recently returned from a sailing trip from Europe to NZ. Was a pleasant suprise as i was expecting some sort of automated or  bureaucratic response. She also said that racing yachts like ours really are not high on their list of biosecurity risks.

So dont be afraid to email them with questions.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

She also said that racing yachts like ours really are not high on their list of biosecurity risks.

Wait, what? racing yacht? Didn't you tell the handicapper its a family cruiser now? ;-)