Bonding ABS components together

I have an extension piece ("ducktail") to fix to the motorbike's rear mudguard. It was supplied with allegedly super duper high strength double sided foam tape. Followed all the cleaning instructions and stuck it on, next day it fell off!

So I want to make a direct bond between the 2. Web search answers for gluing ABS include

Superglue

Model airplane glue

MEK

Epoxy

Anyone had any experience with gluing ABS and/or offer some tips?

sure it is ABS? It's easy to test. Using a cotton bud or corner of a rag, soak in some Acetone or MEK and place it on an area of the plastic where it will not bee seen and give it a few seconds. The cotton bud will "weld" itself to the ABS. It is the only plastic type what will do this. I question if it is ABS because that plastic is normally brittle and does not take impact well. I kind of expected a mudgaurd to be PVC or one of the more durable plastics.

Assuming it is ABS, any of the solvent type glues work by dissolving the plastic surfaces and then as the solvent evaporates, the plastics fuse together. I would consider using a Pipe Solvent, only in that the Gel is a little more precise to apply than a straight solvent liquid and the gel drying slower will allow a better fusion time.
Superglue does work, but does so as a "glue". It does not melt the plastic. How well it works depends on several factors with the plastics and how good the Super Glue is, so only a trial is going to tell you how well it will work for you unfortunately.

4 hours ago, wheels said:

sure it is ABS? It's easy to test. Using a cotton bud or corner of a rag, soak in some Acetone or MEK and place it on an area of the plastic where it will not bee seen and give it a few seconds. The cotton bud will "weld" itself to the ABS. It is the only plastic type what will do this. I question if it is ABS because that plastic is normally brittle and does not take impact well. I kind of expected a mudgaurd to be PVC or one of the more durable plastics.

The extension piece is ABS per its supplier. Will try your test to confirm the mudguard's material. Thanks