Voluntary ban on scallop take in Opito bay

Yeah...we get around there occasionally and would also support. BUT...it's OK for divers but how about those boats who don't ,can't ,won't dive. Is that fair ? I've seen the damage dredges to the beds...So a total ban is good while the powers that be work on the fairness and equity thing for non diving recreational boaties

• Downvote 1

The ban or more correctly the ban of dredges came about from the AGM for NZSFC whose members wanted a ban.Legasea have come out and said "The public have spoken and want a ban"what a load B/S. 

A mother bed was found 3 or 4 yrs ago on the western side of Coromandel and by all acounts could of been the breeding stock for the gulf but commercial wiped it out in one season.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

Yeah...we get around there occasionally and would also support. BUT...it's OK for divers but how about those boats who don't ,can't ,won't dive. Is that fair ? I've seen the damage dredges to the beds...So a total ban is good while the powers that be work on the fairness and equity thing for non diving recreational boaties

If you can't dive, you don't get scollies... I don't get the issue? There is a whole lot more effort involved in diving, and very little impact. More effort means less scollies being taken, which I believe is a good thing. 

• Upvote 3

Yes I think dredgers are a lazy relic of the past and should be banned. Go diving or go shopping.

Personally I don’t want the hassle of scuba diving so I free-dive for them when I can - which serves the dual purpose of keeping most scallops safe and me fit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Fogg said:

Yes I think dredgers are a lazy relic of the past and should be banned. Go diving or go shopping.

Personally I don’t want the hassle of scuba diving so I free-dive for them when I can - which serves the dual purpose of keeping most scallops safe and me fit.

I reckon that's how it should be - freedive only, and then the deeper beds seed the shallower beds. For now banning dredging is a good start.

6 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

We could say the same thing about paua, is it fair that the only divers who can get them are the ones who can hold their breath? If you can afford a boat you can afford to buy some scallops.

Seafood gathering is a privilege and one that needs to be enjoyed sustainably. That at least as valid for the commercial crews/customary fishers too IMO.

• Upvote 3