Launch on Reef

13 hours ago, Fogg said:

Looks in good shape. Wonder if it’s floating unassisted or an array of fire-pumps keeping it up?

Looks good on the outside but 5 days of water in the engine room would’ve rooted it ...good do up for a marine engineer maybe 

Vandals ransack and loot luxury boat stranded on rocks 

The luxury pleasure boat salvaged from the Auckland Harbour last night was looted and ransacked while it sat stranded on rocks for days. Leather interiors were slashed, fittings were torn out and the fire extinguishers were sprayed through the boat, coating the interior of the craft in a caustic foam. Looters also stole all the alcohol that had been aboard the boat.

The boat also suffered extensive damage to the exterior when it ran aground. Both engines were ripped from their mounts and the propellers were bent and broken. Mulgrew said he didn't see the marker pole when he went around a corner and ended up running the boat up on to the rocks.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300194667/luxury-boat-looted-and-ransacked-while-it-sat-stranded-on-rocks-for-days

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

Mulgrew said he didn't see the marker pole when he went around a corner and ended up running the boat up on to the rocks.

...and this is why charts and plotters are a thing.Take care evryone.

Schadenfreude is pretty ugly in here.  I understand the feelings regarding gin palaces and thier drivers (not skippers), nonetheless, someone's day get even shittier and the insurance company will spread the cost to you and I.

41 minutes ago, chariot said:

Still no reason for aholes to ransack the boat. Sounds like the work of the envy brigade. 

Agree,not trying to make an excuse here ,but may of thought abandon after being there 5 days,the same company pulled mine off in hours,maybe an insurance issue or waiting for 3.2m tides??

1 hour ago, chariot said:

Still no reason for aholes to ransack the boat. Sounds like the work of the envy brigade. 

I saw a Facebook thread on the NZ Herald page where people were basically openly talking about that. Made me feel a bit sick to be honest. Ranging from guys talking about claiming salvage to a very wide range of denigrating comments. Unfortunately it was a very public spot with plenty of publicity (been in the news for several days straight).

I'm mildly surprised they didn't have a guard on it (which may not have been practical) or at least taken anything of value off the boat, like or the posh new game fishing gear that got nicked.

Apparently the delay was that it had just been filled with diesel, and they didn't want to rip the tanks open getting it off. I'm actually interested in what happened. Props are stuffed, engines came off mounts, and water ingress via stern tubes. I'm assuming the props clipped something, mounts broke in torsional force and all of that wrenched the stern tubes. Sounded like the hull itself wasn't holed. Can't help but wonder if its a route thats been taken before, and either the tide was a tad lower, or the extra fuel load deepened the draft a fraction, caught the props, and whammo...

4 hours ago, Fish said:

I'm mildly surprised they didn't have a guard on it (which may not have been practical) or at least taken anything of value off the boat, like or the posh new game fishing gear that got nicked.

LOL. You'd make some poor bugger work that shift over the festive period? 

"Sorry kids, can't make Christmas, been asked to guard a rich pricks (David Seymour's?) boat stuck on a reef"

I'm half surprised KM didn't take some time out from Barry's Bach to kayak out there see if his ground tackle was up to the mark. 😁

I'm also half surprised Armchair Admiral and Elliott 47whatever haven't blamed the whole incident on Jacinda. 😁😁

Ooh, ok sorry...this belongs in Smalltalk...but you can Grant me a bit of Robertson Covid Relief while I have a bit of fun..... 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2
12 hours ago, Fish said:

I saw a Facebook thread on the NZ Herald page where people were basically openly talking about that. Made me feel a bit sick to be honest. Ranging from guys talking about claiming salvage to a very wide range of denigrating comments. Unfortunately it was a very public spot with plenty of publicity (been in the news for several days straight).

Apparently the delay was that it had just been filled with diesel, and they didn't want to rip the tanks open getting it off. I'm actually interested in what happened. Props are stuffed, engines came off mounts, and water ingress via stern tubes. I'm assuming the props clipped something, mounts broke in torsional force and all of that wrenched the stern tubes. Sounded like the hull itself wasn't holed. Can't help but wonder if its a route thats been taken before, and either the tide was a tad lower, or the extra fuel load deepened the draft a fraction, caught the props, and whammo...

I had a look when out for my morning coffee since I walk past the hardstand at HMB. The hull is remarkably intact. I was very surprised at just how good it was.

As pointed out props are stuffed and struts pushed up into hull.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Zozza said:

LOL. You'd make some poor bugger work that shift over the festive period? 

Why do you think I wasn't working over the festive period? You appear to have a poor grasp of economic reality there mate. The stuff was nicked on a Sunday, which wasn't even a statutory day... so so much for your festive period. Guess you've never heard of IoT movement sensors and CCTV, either?

And the main point of my comment was positing why they didn't take the easily removed stuff off themselves.

The rest of your post was just twaddle. Has your account been hacked by NZL1?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aw c'mon Zozza. Of course it wasn't Jacinderella's fault. Anyone can see that it was the National partys' fault for creating a financial environment where people who want to get off their tails  can make enough money to pay taxes to keep Jacindas mob  and have a bit more to buy a launch that unfortunately hit a reef thereby providing more opportunity for those with the handout mentality to take a bit more !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, Fish said:

Why do you think I wasn't working over the festive period? You appear to have a poor grasp of economic reality there mate. The stuff was nicked on a Sunday, which wasn't even a statutory day... so so much for your festive period. Guess you've never heard of IoT movement sensors and CCTV, either?

And the main point of my comment was positing why they didn't take the easily removed stuff off themselves.

The rest of your post was just twaddle. Has your account been hacked by NZL1?

Settle.  Was just having a laugh.  Picture a few guys having a beer and a laugh after a round the cans race in order to get the 'tone' my post was intended.  Maybe I didn't put enough smiley or laughy faces.....??

10 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

Aw c'mon Zozza. Of course it wasn't Jacinderella's fault. Anyone can see that it was the National partys' fault for creating a financial environment where people who want to get off their tails  can make enough money to pay taxes to keep Jacindas mob  and have a bit more to buy a launch that unfortunately hit a reef thereby providing more opportunity for those with the handout mentality to take a bit more !

Heh heh, that's the spirit armchair! 

I mean, thanks to your National Party we now have bike paths galore where I can go bikey bikey while you lot in your white collar crime purchased Mercedes and BMW's keep on polluting the planet, so I reckon you could be right.

Anyway, we better go back to Smalltalk before Fish slaps me flush across the chops with a snapper! (Legal size of course).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bigal.nz said:

I had a look when out for my morning coffee since I walk past the hardstand at HMB. The hull is remarkably intact. I was very surprised at just how good it was.

As pointed out props are stuffed and struts pushed up into hull.

Not a write-off soon to be on Trademe at a dollar reserve then?