Single line davits?

Fogg

Is there a simple way to convert 2 separate lifting lines into a single longer line (can’t get my head around how to re-thread the blocks to achieve this)?

Thinking that if I can do this then lead the single line to one of the sheet winches for an easier lift.

3 hours ago, Fogg said:

Is there a simple way to convert 2 separate lifting lines into a single longer line (can’t get my head around how to re-thread the blocks to achieve this)?

Thinking that if I can do this then lead the single line to one of the sheet winches for an easier lift.

Have them both come through a single block. Which would mean having one run from port to starboard (or vice versa) then tie them together so the bow and stern are the same height. And attach that tie point to your winch. 

Probably needs a picture... 

Screenshot_20201228-085102_Bamboo Paper.jpg

You'll need to redirect the line to the winch so it doesn't get an overrun.... But that's the general gist...

Go through a turning block on the deck then jammer before winch to lock it up and prevent over running the winch, also splice the two lines together at the join, final adjustment can be done at end of davit arm

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, eruptn said:

Where the two lines meet you could put a block there and have the deck-winch line run through it to get 2:1  into the system. 

I tried that once, couldn't get balance so either bow or stern came in all the way first rather that together.

I don’t think I need to worry about extra blocks to give me more purchase - I’m planning to run it to one of the sheet winches which is a huge electric thing (I think ~2000W) so pulling power shouldn’t be an issue (in theory)!