GPS update missed/should have been retired/hungover/someting else.

Using a Garmin GPS76S I brought gawd knows how long ago, to map some plantings and it's been going fine.

But this arvo I booted it up and it initialised but just sat on 'searching for satellites'. It does that always but only for maybe 30 seconds max if I last used it a long time or distance ago.

Does anyone know if there is some GPS to Jan 1st 2021 connection that we may have run into?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has to get the GPS Almanac. It's good for about two weeks. The GPS constellation transmits bits of the Almanac every 15 minutes of so.   This Almanac tells the reciever where the Satellites are. 

Shows a basic misunderstanding of "carbon credits"

The backup battery in my fizz boats simrad chart plotter has failed and every time I turn it on have to manually enter the depth transducer settings and approximate position, it takes 5-10 minutes to require position. If I don't enter the approximate position it takes much longer. Unit is probably 15 years old

Doesn't save waypoints either. Waiting for boat-show special to replace it, sadly none of them happened last year

Edited by Deep Purple
47 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

The backup battery in my fizz boats simrad chart plotter has failed and every time I turn it on have to manually enter the depth transducer settings and approximate position, it takes 5-10 minutes to require position. If I don't enter the approximate position it takes much longer. Unit is probably 15 years old

Doesn't save waypoints either. Waiting for boat-show special to replace it, sadly none of them happened last year

Dont wait for a show special ,go in and negotiate,You would be surprised at what deals you can achieve.

Show specials, are they really on special??brought maxxon  a few yrs ago, boat show special was $1399 from memory brought from their shop (smart marine)$1150 10ft

A great selection, as always Thanks team.

So I thought power but bars showed fine. I thought Hmmmm... and so took 1 (AA of 4) out and shuffled them all back in, bars shows they had gone off. New batteries in and booted up fine but stuck again. 5 or so minutes later I put it down and forgot about it, when I came back it was working sweet. Turned it off, waited 10min, turned it on and acquired enough Sats to pin us down inside 15 seconds odd. It is fast if it's booted in the same place it was turned off or there abouts. 

So no idea what happened and as i have to climb a hill to get reception bugger searching until we're better placed. I'll also suss for updates.

6 minutes ago, KM... said:

A great selection, as always Thanks team.

So I thought power but bars showed fine. I thought Hmmmm... and so took 1 (AA of 4) out and shuffled them all back in, bars shows they had gone off. New batteries in and booted up fine but stuck again. 5 or so minutes later I put it down and forgot about it, when I came back it was working sweet. Turned it off, waited 10min, turned it on and acquired enough Sats to pin us down inside 15 seconds odd. It is fast if it's booted in the same place it was turned off or there abouts. 

So no idea what happened and as i have to climb a hill to get reception bugger searching until we're better placed. I'll also suss for updates.

It has to get the GPS Almanac. It's good for about two weeks. The GPS constellation transmits bits of the Almanac every 15 minutes of so.   This Almanac tells the reciever where the Satellites are. 

When I say GPS I specifically mean the USAs satellite constellation. Not other nations constellations that a more current receiver can use. Advances in receiver processing power has made the Almanac unnecessary in latest devices. 

7 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Older GPS devices are facing their own mini Y2K bug April 2019

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18255847/gps-week-rollover-issue-2019-garmin-tomtom-devices-affected

thanks for that

i have far too many gps (9?)and recently noticed that some of my old favourites were taking far too long to get a position fix

even when they had recently been through the process of rebuilding their 'almanac' after a long shut-down

sadly the older ones no longer seem covered by maker's firmware fixes:o(