Mixing diesel biocides

Anyone know if different brands of diesel treatments can be mixed? Reason being I’ve put my regular brand in my main tank (Diesel Doctor which I’ve been using for years) but the only local supplier at GH I know is closed for a couple more weeks. And I want to treat my 2nd / reserve tank which transfers into the main tank. But only options are different brands to Diesel Doctor. Any hazards here with mixing?

Not a problem at all.
Although dosing a tank is not needed to be done stringently. So unless the tankful has not been used for the last 6 months, then another couple of weeks waiting is won't hurt.
By the way, Super Cheap do a good one. Several actually, but I not think all of them would be available here in NZ.
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/search?q=diesel+additive&lang=en_NZ
Penrite and Chemtech are brands I trust.

Am I right in assuming you use a 'treatment' to prevent diesel bug?

I've had my 935 year old) yacht for 10 years and never treated the diesel. Never had the bug either. But I always keep the tank full.

I hear (and read) all sorts of theories on the diesel bug - have I just been lucky so far?

I'm starting to think that, for the small extra cost, maybe I should start 'treating' the diesel, just to be on the safe side......... any comments/thoughts? I'd appreciate the advice.

I'm going to go with the pessimistic 'you've just been lucky'.

Many factors involved, but wouldn't hurt to add a little treatment. Most likely to strike in rough water with the tank moderately low (when most easily stirred up), i.e. at the worse possible time to have your engine die.

Its a probability and consequence thing. It is damn near physically impossible to get rid of. Only way is to fully remove the tank. But it is very easy to squirt 20 ml's of anti-bug in every time you fill up.

For 30 years I used nothing except a policy of keeping the tank as full as possible and was fine until about 3yrs ago when a routine engine service showed signs of bug in the first fuel filter after the tank.

It was the start of summer season and I feared the worst and started imagining ripping out our built-in tank as a summer project instead of cruising with the family... but my local mechanic advised me to give the tank a shock dose of Diesel Doctor (an entire 1L into my 130L tank) then fill up and check filter again after 10hrs running time. Result = no sign of bug. Thereafter I used a maintenance dose of 100ml every refill and never had another issue. Each service since resulted in a clean filter.

So whatever small dose of bug I had was caught early enough to be killed off by the shock dose.

And that converted me to ongoing use.

The main tank (200L) was empty but is now full of NZ diesel plus a shock dose (1L) of Diesel Doctor.

The reserve tank has been empty for about a year I believe. Hence I’m thinking of pouring in 10-20L, pumping back out then refilling (200L) plus another shock dose (ideally was hoping to use same brand of Diesel Doctor).

17 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I've never put anything but diesel in the diesel tank. 40 years later still good.

Prevention is better than cure. Full tank  and buy where regular turn over of fuel. Even petrol has the bug but due to usage it doesnt take hold.