Navico wifi gofree

6 hours ago, lateral said:

What is a DSC call from your plotter?

Nothing that dramatically difficult to create.  I have mentioned this before and sporadically beat my head against a brick wall trying to achieve.

On my Simrad plotter, I can select an AIS target and go to the data page which shows Closest Point of Approach, MMSI etc.  On that screen is a "Call" button, which when selected, should pass the target's MMSI number to the DSC-equipped Simrad VHF, and initiate the DSC call.  The "Call" button is not enabled.  The Simrad manual says a call should be able to be initiated to a suitably equipped DSC radio.  That is male bovine excrement.

This feature is important as ships will answer a DSC call more readily than a CH16 call.  Entering the ship's MMSI number manually is a little tortuous. 

Navico's excuse is that I get the AIS info from a Vesper XB6000.  Vesper support suggest that is a pretty crap excuse as the PGN to the VHF would originate from the plotter, not the AIS. 

My suspicion is that this non-functional "feature" is ready for the next release of their product, so they have something new and exciting.

Navico support were pretty ignorant as to what their stuff was supposed to do, very quick to pass the blame even though their manual makes a very clear statement, and overall pretty hopeless.  I did vent my frustration.

19 hours ago, Island Time said:

Please explain what it is you are trying to achieve,  incl makes/models of equipment,  and I'll see what I can do...

I'd really appreciate your input.  I'm using a Simrad NSS9 Evo3 plotter and Simrad RS20 VHF.  AIS data comes from a Vesper XB6000.

I have checked all firmware versions and it all seems to be up to date.

Hopefully my last post explains the issue.

I think I have the same problem on a Zeus 3 - 7 -  it use to mirror to my Samsung A7 via the  link app faultlessly and since a most recent software upgrade I can't get it to connect (I even deleted link app and reloaded). Use to connect fine and was a fantastic feature and one of the key reasons I bought the unit. I have tried manually loading as per screen instructions for LINk app also.

As IT says I could do everything via the phone screen other than AP inputs. I could even adjust AP sensitivity settings etc. on the fly while navigating a route just as if I was using the touch screen or buttons.  I really like this feature as if below I could simply mirror everything to phone i.e. windspeed at anchor, depth, anchor alarm etc. 

I'm really pissed off that this feature no longer works. I have tried connecting through the B&G app and the QR code to no avail also - simply states contact service agent- not happy! I want to get the functionality back I paid for and I understood the unit was/is capable of. I'll be calling Brad tomorrow to discuss.

3 hours ago, Dtwo said:

Nothing that dramatically difficult to create.  I have mentioned this before and sporadically beat my head against a brick wall trying to achieve.

On my Simrad plotter, I can select an AIS target and go to the data page which shows Closest Point of Approach, MMSI etc.  On that screen is a "Call" button, which when selected, should pass the target's MMSI number to the DSC-equipped Simrad VHF, and initiate the DSC call.  The "Call" button is not enabled.  The Simrad manual says a call should be able to be initiated to a suitably equipped DSC radio.  That is male bovine excrement.

This feature is important as ships will answer a DSC call more readily than a CH16 call.  Entering the ship's MMSI number manually is a little tortuous. 

Navico's excuse is that I get the AIS info from a Vesper XB6000.  Vesper support suggest that is a pretty crap excuse as the PGN to the VHF would originate from the plotter, not the AIS. 

My suspicion is that this non-functional "feature" is ready for the next release of their product, so they have something new and exciting.

Navico support were pretty ignorant as to what their stuff was supposed to do, very quick to pass the blame even though their manual makes a very clear statement, and overall pretty hopeless.  I did vent my frustration.

I've not tried this with a RS20, but it does work in a (pure B&G) system with a RS40B - thats the one with the built in AIS transponder. I'll make some enquiries...

12 hours ago, splat said:

I think I have the same problem on a Zeus 3 - 7 -  it use to mirror to my Samsung A7 via the  link app faultlessly and since a most recent software upgrade I can't get it to connect (I even deleted link app and reloaded). Use to connect fine and was a fantastic feature and one of the key reasons I bought the unit. I have tried manually loading as per screen instructions for LINk app also.

As IT says I could do everything via the phone screen other than AP inputs. I could even adjust AP sensitivity settings etc. on the fly while navigating a route just as if I was using the touch screen or buttons.  I really like this feature as if below I could simply mirror everything to phone i.e. windspeed at anchor, depth, anchor alarm etc. 

I'm really pissed off that this feature no longer works. I have tried connecting through the B&G app and the QR code to no avail also - simply states contact service agent- not happy! I want to get the functionality back I paid for and I understood the unit was/is capable of. I'll be calling Brad tomorrow to discuss.

Its all in the App developers lap as there has been an international furore over it.

People saying they want to rip out all their Navico stuff and replace with another brand.

On the net anyway. There must have been other problems for it to escalate like this.

First call I've had from a "world service manager".

Thanks to Matt at Neptunes gear.

On the whole I really like my Navico gear and their response to any problems.

(Apart from a certain custom help guy there that really should not be aspiring to that position.)

Just a quick update as I now understand it via Navico B&G tech support ALK today.

The link app is/was apparently suppose to be supeceded by a new product/app in Q3 of this 2021 but due to customer demand/outcry is to  be retained in the interim. Navico is working with link app developers to remedy curent bug in app to fix current inability to connect for users. As of today this is apparently to occur in the next 10 days approximately. A new/updated version of link will be availble via your app store which should address connectivity issues.

We talked about B&G app inability to connect using QR code. Apparently, either the app team or tech support is to come back to me via email. Will wait and see.  

Matt do you have anthing to add/confirm on this topic?