Large pipe for directing pooh into Auckland harbour is about to arrive.

For those who have seen the increase in pretty colour buoys of the Westhaven wall, they are marking the anchoring system for a large pipe that will be towed into place anytime now, it may have arrived in the early hours of today. It will be moored there until around the 27th of January at which stage it will be towed west of the bridge to where You may have seen some work going on on shore and 200m odd off it.

It is a large pipe which is well marked with lights so hard to miss but so are countries and boats still drive into those. 

The pipe is a hypocrisy project by Akl Council. As they are currently claiming shock and horror as raw poohs ending on the beaches and asking everyone to do their not to stop it, the council themselves will be discharging raw poohs out of this pipe directly into Auckland harbour. It's won't be all the time just when it rains heavily.

By February all the extra gear off Westhaven should be gone and things back to normal but in the meantime just be a little more cautious, especially in starts as this pipe does cross the Westhaven Start/Finish line.

• Upvote 2

Its cause the whole central city area / Ponsonby / Grey Lynn is on a combined wastewater / stormwater system. Newer areas have separate wastewater and stormwater. Council looked at seperating those areas, and did so with parts with the Clear Harbour alliance. If you think the Council is bad with money now, get them to do a large scale separation project that involves re-plumbing every house in the central isthmus and re build all of the horisontlal infrastructure in every street in every suburb. And don't complain about the cost or disruption. Either that or let some poo going into the harbour after an ex TC.

Council are already building various large interceptor tunnels that can cope with very high volumes of stormwater, and transfer it to treatment plants. This outfall is so you don't have sh*t washing down the streets. So be careful what you wish for with your critiscms people. The alternative is to build a long drop in your inner city back yards. You'd be pooing night cart style.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Fish said:

Its cause the whole central city area / Ponsonby / Grey Lynn is on a combined wastewater / stormwater system. Newer areas have separate wastewater and stormwater. Council looked at seperating those areas, and did so with parts with the Clear Harbour alliance. If you think the Council is bad with money now, get them to do a large scale separation project that involves re-plumbing every house in the central isthmus and re build all of the horisontlal infrastructure in every street in every suburb. And don't complain about the cost or disruption. Either that or let some poo going into the harbour after an ex TC.

Council are already building various large interceptor tunnels that can cope with very high volumes of stormwater, and transfer it to treatment plants. This outfall is so you don't have sh*t washing down the streets. So be careful what you wish for with your critiscms people. The alternative is to build a long drop in your inner city back yards. You'd be pooing night cart style.

Chickens coming home to roost. Another hidden cost of suburban infill and high rise as the planners strive for an urban utopia where you live work and play in a confined area,carless  AND controlled .But because the pipe is hidden and most won't see the discharge it's OK. Bad luck for the environment but as it won't be seen it'll be OK. The concept is fatally flawed but what the hell . They have the degrees in planning and won't be around to suffer the consequences of their mistakes

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, harrytom said:

Hmm and we need holding tanks??How hard would it be to divert to a tank and pump out in to transport and taken to mangere.

If they tilted the Interceptor 4.5 degrees the other way the contents would have ended up heading south then out to Mangere for treatment. But they choose to head north and use the harbour instead.

But it is not adding to what was going in before, this project only changes the outflow from lots of little ones around the waterfront and Westhaven to one big one in as they call it 'the channel'.....which isn't a channel.

I like the cleaning up aspect and have no big issue with the odd bit of pooh getting out into the wild now and again but still can't understand why they didn't use the Mangere option considering it was easily doable and cheaper than what they have run with. I do have quite a issue with the hypocrisy and lack of transparency though.

I do LOVE the excavator on the track enhanced pontoons, so much so I want one !!!  Those who have seen it will know the one I mean, it's a ripper.

• Upvote 1

Well, we all knew the council was full of sh*t, and now they are shedding it into our harbour.
I thought Wellington Harbour had the title of 'A-hole of NZ', but now the Waitemata can rightfully take that title.

Yet one more reason I never wish to sail in that harbour ever again if I can help it.  You North Harbour lot will have to put up with me when I finally relaunch my boat.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KM... said:

If they tilted the Interceptor 4.5 degrees the other way the contents would have ended up heading south then out to Mangere for treatment. But they choose to head north and use the harbour instead.

Mwahaha, I didn't know you knew what a long section even was KM. I'm sure if infrastructure design was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Just as everyone is selling anchors.

To give this pipe a bit more context, currently poohs spill into all manner of water courses, best example is Cox's creak. There are sins along there to not let your dog go in hte water, it stinks. It is right alongside a nice walking track and borders recreational reserves and sports grounds. it then goes into Cox's bay, on the beach there, where the sea scouts are and many moored boats.

This pooh pipe gets it out of the streams, beaches and bays, and straight into the tidal stream, in the deep water. I believe (but haven't verified this), that the pipe will only discharge on the outgoing tide. Dispite KM's assertion its not a channel there, there is very strong tidal streams and very good dispersion. I tried paddle boarding down there recently. Damn stupid idea, the harbour has been built out so much its just a fast flowing ditch. i'm not sure why you guys bother trying to race down there to be honest.

This pipe will substantially reduce the environmental impact of the current very major problem of combined SW and WW.

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, Fish said:

Mwahaha, I didn't know you knew what a long section even was KM. I'm sure if infrastructure design was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Just as everyone is selling anchors.

I didn't until I listen to the large team of engineers arguing it out. One point was that angle and it came up a fair bit but was very really challenged which does strongly suggest one of 3 things.

1 - The engineers were scared of the cancel culture rampant today so just STFU rather than say anything.

2 - The engineers didn't want to piss off a cash cow i.e. the Council.

3 - What was being said was indeed correct.

2 hours ago, Fish said:

Dispite KM's assertion its not a channel there, there is very strong tidal streams and very good dispersion.

You'll find my assertion is quite the opposite. We did argue that the councils term 'channel' was more marketing bullshit as the end was no where near a 'channel' and if they were genuine in making the best of a shitty situation they should push the outflow 200m further out into a genuine channel where the stronger and more directional flows would disperse the nasty far further far faster in far deeper water than the current plan. They declined, on cost grounds from what I was told.

A recent study showed a lot of what will come out of that pipe will swirl around the area for a considerable amount of time and a lot will not make it east of the bridge. Meola Reef is likely to capture a fair bit. Luckily most of the outflow will just be dirty water.

But I am flattered you think I have some sort of super human abilities, I don't and I very much doubt I'd want them, I'll leave all that the the Wa ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tilting the pipe as KM so simplistically puts it presents a range of other problems - including the treatment capacity at Mangere.

As a technical option it exists, but as a practical and do-able option, it doesn't.

As mentioned earlier, the issue is really one of funding.  Everyone wants great infrastructure but the funding mechanisms mean that costs do not fall where they rise, so the wrong people end up paying (by timing - we load the cost on future generations as debt), and those who are asked to pay won't (ratepayers won't accept the cost being front-loaded even though they get the benefit).  

If council Had listen 40 yrs ago When mayor Robbie was in we may not be so much poo

Council probably had the funds to fix but went with Len Browns train set,Who will benefit from  it??

Take Downtown and surrounding areas,housed bussiness,maybe 200k people 9 to 5? now turn all those properties in to apartments and house 27/7 500k what do you think will happen to the infrastructure? its not rocket science,more people = more water/sewage/transportation of some sort.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, harrytom said:

If council Had listen 40 yrs ago When mayor Robbie was in we may not be so much poo

and the ratepayers wouldn't pay for it.  Council is on a hiding to nothing and this is across the country.  The legislation around funding for horizontal capital items makes it impossible for them to put the work in up front.

It looks like the three waters (or at least two of them) will move to national control and management shortly, so this whole issue will resolve itself over time since govts have a much greater ability to fund infrastructure

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

and the ratepayers wouldn't pay for it.  Council is on a hiding to nothing and this is across the country.  The legislation around funding for horizontal capital items makes it impossible for them to put the work in up front.

It looks like the three waters (or at least two of them) will move to national control and management shortly, so this whole issue will resolve itself over time since govts have a much greater ability to fund infrastructure

Our Water supplier "watercare" in Papakura got sold off a number of yrs ago to a French company"Viola" with the pretense of cheaper rates.Yesh right.Our 3 monthly water bill is arox $270 which has a factor of 80% waste charge built in. they believe %80 of incoming ends being out going and if you want a metre on outgoing expect to pay $3.5k.My arguement is/was our laundry water and shower water are syphoned to tank to water garden.But spend $3.5k for a metre yeah/nah.Suck it up.