Large pipe for directing pooh into Auckland harbour is about to arrive.

For those who have seen the increase in pretty colour buoys of the Westhaven wall, they are marking the anchoring system for a large pipe that will be towed into place anytime now, it may have arrived in the early hours of today. It will be moored there until around the 27th of January at which stage it will be towed west of the bridge to where You may have seen some work going on on shore and 200m odd off it.

It is a large pipe which is well marked with lights so hard to miss but so are countries and boats still drive into those. 

The pipe is a hypocrisy project by Akl Council. As they are currently claiming shock and horror as raw poohs ending on the beaches and asking everyone to do their not to stop it, the council themselves will be discharging raw poohs out of this pipe directly into Auckland harbour. It's won't be all the time just when it rains heavily.

By February all the extra gear off Westhaven should be gone and things back to normal but in the meantime just be a little more cautious, especially in starts as this pipe does cross the Westhaven Start/Finish line.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who have seen the increase in pretty colour buoys of the Westhaven wall, they are marking the anchoring system for a large pipe that will be towed into place anytime now, it may have arrived

To give this pipe a bit more context, currently poohs spill into all manner of water courses, best example is Cox's creak. There are sins along there to not let your dog go in hte water, it stinks. It

I didn't until I listen to the large team of engineers arguing it out. One point was that angle and it came up a fair bit but was very really challenged which does strongly suggest one of 3 things.

Its cause the whole central city area / Ponsonby / Grey Lynn is on a combined wastewater / stormwater system. Newer areas have separate wastewater and stormwater. Council looked at seperating those areas, and did so with parts with the Clear Harbour alliance. If you think the Council is bad with money now, get them to do a large scale separation project that involves re-plumbing every house in the central isthmus and re build all of the horisontlal infrastructure in every street in every suburb. And don't complain about the cost or disruption. Either that or let some poo going into the harbour after an ex TC.

Council are already building various large interceptor tunnels that can cope with very high volumes of stormwater, and transfer it to treatment plants. This outfall is so you don't have sh*t washing down the streets. So be careful what you wish for with your critiscms people. The alternative is to build a long drop in your inner city back yards. You'd be pooing night cart style.

45 minutes ago, Fish said:

Its cause the whole central city area / Ponsonby / Grey Lynn is on a combined wastewater / stormwater system. Newer areas have separate wastewater and stormwater. Council looked at seperating those areas, and did so with parts with the Clear Harbour alliance. If you think the Council is bad with money now, get them to do a large scale separation project that involves re-plumbing every house in the central isthmus and re build all of the horisontlal infrastructure in every street in every suburb. And don't complain about the cost or disruption. Either that or let some poo going into the harbour after an ex TC.

Council are already building various large interceptor tunnels that can cope with very high volumes of stormwater, and transfer it to treatment plants. This outfall is so you don't have sh*t washing down the streets. So be careful what you wish for with your critiscms people. The alternative is to build a long drop in your inner city back yards. You'd be pooing night cart style.

Chickens coming home to roost. Another hidden cost of suburban infill and high rise as the planners strive for an urban utopia where you live work and play in a confined area,carless  AND controlled .But because the pipe is hidden and most won't see the discharge it's OK. Bad luck for the environment but as it won't be seen it'll be OK. The concept is fatally flawed but what the hell . They have the degrees in planning and won't be around to suffer the consequences of their mistakes

3 hours ago, harrytom said:

Hmm and we need holding tanks??How hard would it be to divert to a tank and pump out in to transport and taken to mangere.

If they tilted the Interceptor 4.5 degrees the other way the contents would have ended up heading south then out to Mangere for treatment. But they choose to head north and use the harbour instead.

But it is not adding to what was going in before, this project only changes the outflow from lots of little ones around the waterfront and Westhaven to one big one in as they call it 'the channel'.....which isn't a channel.

I like the cleaning up aspect and have no big issue with the odd bit of pooh getting out into the wild now and again but still can't understand why they didn't use the Mangere option considering it was easily doable and cheaper than what they have run with. I do have quite a issue with the hypocrisy and lack of transparency though.

I do LOVE the excavator on the track enhanced pontoons, so much so I want one !!!  Those who have seen it will know the one I mean, it's a ripper.

Well, we all knew the council was full of sh*t, and now they are shedding it into our harbour.
I thought Wellington Harbour had the title of 'A-hole of NZ', but now the Waitemata can rightfully take that title.

Yet one more reason I never wish to sail in that harbour ever again if I can help it.  You North Harbour lot will have to put up with me when I finally relaunch my boat.