Large pipe for directing pooh into Auckland harbour is about to arrive.

3 hours ago, KM... said:

If they tilted the Interceptor 4.5 degrees the other way the contents would have ended up heading south then out to Mangere for treatment. But they choose to head north and use the harbour instead.

Mwahaha, I didn't know you knew what a long section even was KM. I'm sure if infrastructure design was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Just as everyone is selling anchors.

To give this pipe a bit more context, currently poohs spill into all manner of water courses, best example is Cox's creak. There are sins along there to not let your dog go in hte water, it stinks. It is right alongside a nice walking track and borders recreational reserves and sports grounds. it then goes into Cox's bay, on the beach there, where the sea scouts are and many moored boats.

This pooh pipe gets it out of the streams, beaches and bays, and straight into the tidal stream, in the deep water. I believe (but haven't verified this), that the pipe will only discharge on the outgoing tide. Dispite KM's assertion its not a channel there, there is very strong tidal streams and very good dispersion. I tried paddle boarding down there recently. Damn stupid idea, the harbour has been built out so much its just a fast flowing ditch. i'm not sure why you guys bother trying to race down there to be honest.

This pipe will substantially reduce the environmental impact of the current very major problem of combined SW and WW.

16 hours ago, Fish said:

Mwahaha, I didn't know you knew what a long section even was KM. I'm sure if infrastructure design was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Just as everyone is selling anchors.

I didn't until I listen to the large team of engineers arguing it out. One point was that angle and it came up a fair bit but was very really challenged which does strongly suggest one of 3 things.

1 - The engineers were scared of the cancel culture rampant today so just STFU rather than say anything.

2 - The engineers didn't want to piss off a cash cow i.e. the Council.

3 - What was being said was indeed correct.

2 hours ago, Fish said:

Dispite KM's assertion its not a channel there, there is very strong tidal streams and very good dispersion.

You'll find my assertion is quite the opposite. We did argue that the councils term 'channel' was more marketing bullshit as the end was no where near a 'channel' and if they were genuine in making the best of a shitty situation they should push the outflow 200m further out into a genuine channel where the stronger and more directional flows would disperse the nasty far further far faster in far deeper water than the current plan. They declined, on cost grounds from what I was told.

A recent study showed a lot of what will come out of that pipe will swirl around the area for a considerable amount of time and a lot will not make it east of the bridge. Meola Reef is likely to capture a fair bit. Luckily most of the outflow will just be dirty water.

But I am flattered you think I have some sort of super human abilities, I don't and I very much doubt I'd want them, I'll leave all that the the Wa ;)