Looking at buying a Matangi, what don't I know.

17 hours ago, KM... said:

I don't know of any specific issues with them, all I've had anything to do with have been pretty well built and maintained.

yes, this is what i`ve also heard.

This is the one i`m looking at, 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2929183823?bof=JeJiKd1M

She needs a bit of work for sure, and some rust in the bilge and under the stairs is an unknown.

awesome,thanks for the reply.

She seems to be in really good condition. She needs a bit of paint and rust cleaning here and there. 

Next question, should I get a survey before I buy her? What would a ballpark cost be for a steel boat of her size/age? 

Normal procedure is as follows 

Make an offer subject to survey, maybe just hull but can include motor and rig etc

If accepted you pay a deposit, usually 10% 

Minor issues are accepted as ts not new your buying

Major issues are either fix by owner, or you take the cost of repair off the price.

You can only back out and get your deposit back if the owner isn’t prepared to fix or negotiate a deal acceptable to you.

Survey costs are on you but owner often pays for the haulout.

You can also ask for a sea trail as a condition of purchase.

But all deals are a negation and as such you want to be sure that it’s the correct boat for you or you could be forking out a lot for a survey on a boat you don’t own 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, TBoon said:

Next question, should I get a survey before I buy her? What would a ballpark cost be for a steel boat of her size/age? 

3 suggestions, get a survey, get a survey, and lastly, get a survey. No matter how good it looks, no matter how many receipts he's got, etc. etc.