Never a dull moment

Which reminds me of the question whether its better to have a built in fail point that limits damage or

make everything proportionally robust to load so the failure point will be unknown and can be catastrophic.

Gooseneck damage after bs shackle failure.

Wrap around tags/cleats are 2mm aluminium welded to 6mm Al bar that takes fitting.

Mechanically fastened to track.

Welds on each were small. Point of failure?

I think my new hard vang exacerbated this.

So do I beef it up so it wont break, or duplicate for stress relief?

1092521663_IMG_1155(1).thumb.jpg.e5cd8277f604b2e3328824234c2e386d.jpg

That point is obviously the "weakest point" at this stage. given that it has lasted for a lot of years up to this point , I would be inclined to repair it in its current form, maybe an extra tack or two. By remaking it in a much stronger form could (will) shift the stress points.

47 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

That point is obviously the "weakest point" at this stage. given that it has lasted for a lot of years up to this point , I would be inclined to repair it in its current form, 

concur.

The key here is that the damage was controlled - the boom was still attached and you were not dealing with a collapse of the standing rigging.  Replacing the track etc is relatively easy and cheap.  A controlled deformation like this is much better than either a total failure or so much rigidity that the forces are transferred to the next point of failure.