Mounting small (16) sheet winches

I just got some nice older Maxwell 16 sheet winches to use as secondaries on our Spencer Saraband  They are brass and in good nick - someone has loved them and kept them clean and lubricated.

I'll be mounting them on existing winch pedestals in the cockpit behind the primaries.  The four mounting holes in the winch are countersunk and 6mm (or more likely 1/4 inch).  Should I use socket screws with large washers and nylocs under the pedestal, or just go with same grade timber screws?

Thanks Steve!  Yeah, they are intended for a  light spinnaker and general shore line and minor line handling so I am not toooooo concerned.  Also, the fixings are all in shear not tension, so as long as loads are kept reasonable (what else would you do with a single speed 16 winch?) I think we are ok.

If access was anywhere near reasonably possible, bolts would be there but, hey...

23 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Thanks Steve!  Yeah, they are intended for a  light spinnaker and general shore line and minor line handling so I am not toooooo concerned.  Also, the fixings are all in shear not tension, so as long as loads are kept reasonable (what else would you do with a single speed 16 winch?) I think we are ok.

If access was anywhere near reasonably possible, bolts would be there but, hey...

Yep, I'm sure that you have done and are doing your best given that using bolts was not possible. It is just that although keeping the loads reasonable is the aim, the wind doesn't know that. Many is the time in my early sailing days and occasionally even now I have put off reefing because I decided that the puff / squall isn't going to be much, to realising that it was another underestimation. Of course you can always ease / release the sheet when needed, a flapping sail is better than a flying winch.