newbie question - what is this number?

from my sailing database:

Mr Earp gave evidence that he knew of people who started construction on a boat and registered the vessel several years before launching it. The registration is not an annual fee, it is a one off payment. Builders will do this so they can place the number within the hull. The requirements for a metal vessel are that the number needs to be stamped into the hull permanently or welded onto the metal hull or transom and displayed on a continuous beam inside the vessel. The metal plate is about the size of a cigarette carton and has an O.N. O/N or “Official Number”. Mr Earp gave evidence that most people prefer to do this while the vessel is under construction and agreed it would be unusual to do this without there having already been some construction of the boat being undertaken.
the vessel was constructed structurally to Class 1B of the Universal Shipping Laws Code in 1995. The impact of this, on the value of the boat, is that it is in the region of 20-30 per cent more valuable than a non-approved design. It affects the overall value of the vessel because of the commercial potential. The classification 1B is a passenger going vessel considered to be suitable for offshore operations up to 200 nautical miles from land or safe haven.

My yacht came with the OT number carved in an overhead frame.I think it means you are listed with Lloyds of London (no idea why). I am not on the NZ register(meaning cant race with NZY,cant go overseas,no sail number,no sole rights to boat name)     You can search the NZ register on line for your boat name/number. A fee for change of owner.

The tonnage is not displacement, but the theoretical cargo tonnage, known as Thames Tonnage. Often carved as NTxx . Island Times one is 13. No way she weighs, displaces, or could carry 13 ton, but it's a measurement of the space inside. IT'S actual displacement is 7-8 ton dependent on load.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

from my sailing database:

Mr Earp gave evidence that he knew of people who started construction on a boat and registered the vessel several years before launching it. The registration is not an annual fee, it is a one off payment. Builders will do this so they can place the number within the hull. The requirements for a metal vessel are that the number needs to be stamped into the hull permanently or welded onto the metal hull or transom and displayed on a continuous beam inside the vessel. The metal plate is about the size of a cigarette carton and has an O.N. O/N or “Official Number”. Mr Earp gave evidence that most people prefer to do this while the vessel is under construction and agreed it would be unusual to do this without there having already been some construction of the boat being undertaken.
the vessel was constructed structurally to Class 1B of the Universal Shipping Laws Code in 1995. The impact of this, on the value of the boat, is that it is in the region of 20-30 per cent more valuable than a non-approved design. It affects the overall value of the vessel because of the commercial potential. The classification 1B is a passenger going vessel considered to be suitable for offshore operations up to 200 nautical miles from land or safe haven.

you should note that the above is for Australian USL surveyed vessels, NZ has different laws and regulations.

47 minutes ago, vic008 said:

So does anybody know of any  advantage of having a number? I can't think of any.

Your boat must be registered if you want to sail overseas. See the link to Maritime NZ that I posted previously.

Overseas trips is really the main advantage - or if you’re selling the boat to someone contemplating it. Clutching at straws the only other ‘advantage’ is that as a registered Maritime NZ vessel you officially qualify for protection by NZ navy vessels (or their allies) if you ever needed it. Maybe piracy issues if you were travelling - but again you’d need the number anyway to depart!

I have NZ registration for a slightly different reason - mainly because it made it much easier to explain to Malaysian officials why Fogg was being sailed through a restricted area and loaded onto a cargo ship for export to NZ - during a lockdown period in that region. By having NZ registration paper it made Fogg qualify as commercial traffic not pleasure traffic - thereby allowing my delivery crew free passage both during the delivery and on their journey back home. Lots of triplicate papers + lots of official stamps + lots of fees (you get the picture)!

You don't need this O/N stuff to be NZ registered.  

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/ships/registration/part-B/default.asp

As for the "tonnage", my understanding is that it started with ships being measured for how many standard barrels they could carry - i.e. tuns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_(unit)

Then things morphed to where we are now.  So it has nothing to do with displacement, everything to do with how much volume is available for stowing barrels.  As in, pretty meaningless for yachts.

16 hours ago, vic008 said:

Am I confusing NZ Maritime with NZY.Can you go offshore with NZM, but dont need to be NZ Y registered?

Yes. To do an international voyage you must be a NZ reg ship. That's maritime nz. YNZ have nothing to do with that. 

2 hours ago, vic008 said:

So, be registered with MNZ. (and no need for number carved in beam,) and get cat 1 from YNZ(no need to be on their register)and good to go.

Yes. Although technically once you have been issued with the Maritime NZ registration number you are supposed to display it somewhere visible on your hull - they define font size and other details when they send you your registration. Also, there are 2 registration options Part A and B. A is for commercial vessels but for a private vessel seeking registration simply for offshore purposes you only need Part B - which is about $500 from memory (A is about $3-5k I think depending on your size).

4 hours ago, Fogg said:

Yes. Although technically once you have been issued with the Maritime NZ registration number you are supposed to display it somewhere visible on your hull - they define font size and other details when they send you your registration. Also, there are 2 registration options Part A and B. A is for commercial vessels but for a private vessel seeking registration simply for offshore purposes you only need Part B - which is about $500 from memory (A is about $3-5k I think depending on your size).

Under Part B you have to display the registration number  NZ XXXX on the outside of the hull. Part A requires you have the vessel's name and port of registry on the stern and the ON permanently fixed to the vessel's main beam. 

Part A is not just for commercial vessels, also anyone with a private vessel willing to shell out the initial payment, currently $2,205 for an existing vessel under 24 m (for some reason a new build is cheaper). Part A is lifetime as long as the vessel remains under NZ ownership 

Fortunately the previous owners of my yacht registered her Part A so no renewal fees and had a very nice bronze plaque made with the ON which is fastened to the mast support beam.   

Having your boat registered in a country is mandatory if you wish to travel between countries. This is not local registration or state registrations.  Be very careful about some advice...

Having a vessel registered in a country other than the country that you wish it to reside in can make you liable for GST/VAT/or other import duties.  10 % of the value of the vessel (the value is not up to you to decide) can be a lot more than registration. The registration papers will be required by most countries on first presenting to boarder control/customs. The paper work and initial contact is often done on board...in your saloon...right where the ON often is. If you are cruising you will be given a time limit that you can stay in any particular country (apart from where it is registered ) Go over this limit and you will be asked to pay import duties..(If you are not a resident of this country this can be a problem because you will have to go regardless of if your boat is allowed to stay, although some people commute to the their boats on a seasonal basis)

The ON is not mindless defacing, it is part of a long established marine history. (Like vessels being in 64 parts of ownership) . It is still used as vessel proof in the case of sinking or theft. (and no thieves dont always spirit the original number off and replace with another.......because the number that they replace it with has to also match legitimate documentation. ) We live in an electronic age where computers work in most countries  !! Therefore...the only way you can getaway with false registration is to not get boarded...in which case why bother changing the ON !!

How easy is to find an ON ? ...This easy https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-operators/ship-registration/list-registered-ships 

A unique vessel name is also a requirement in a lot of countries , this is one of the reasons why you see names with numbers or roman numerals after them.

In most cases how the ON is marked has some latitude. In my case, I asked that I not grind or weld into my fully epoxied steel work. A very nice varnished timber plate with security screws was deemed to be perfectly acceptable.